The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

1 hour ago, Matt said:

£499m is a decent chunk of change for a poker pro / sports betting consultant. Must have had a very good run of cards.

I'm such an idiot I never connected him to Brighton from when I was WAY too into watching and playing poker. He's been a quality owner and one we would have loved to buy out Ashley (I'm sure some would have had a moan regardless).

11 hours ago, Matt said:

£499m is a decent chunk of change for a poker pro / sports betting consultant. Must have had a very good run of cards.

He had a £400,000 straight win bet on one of his horses at Cheltenham 

Wow wasn't expecting that, I know they have had a poor season by their standards, but that's a massive surprise. Wonder if there was a falling out behind the scenes?

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Wow wasn't expecting that, I know they have had a poor season by their standards, but that's a massive surprise. Wonder if there was a falling out behind the scenes?

Can't see how there can't have been - they are crushing it in the Champions League and they are only a point behind in the league from Dortmund who they literally play next.  Would've thought you wait until that result to make the decision.

Must be more to this??

this from ESPN made me laugh:

Despite having reached the quarterfinals of the Champions League this season, Bayern are struggling by their standards in domestic competition, trailing Tuchel's former team Borussia Dortmund by a point in the standings and just four ahead of third-place Union Berlin.

Edited by Kanji

Being sacked for not winning the league at a canter is damning of the entire structure of German football at present. Ten titles in a row in a major league is a joke - the Bundesliga is often lauded up for its ownership models, but Bayern’s total dominance (rather than just winning it every other year) has coincided with a massive downturn in the national team’s players and performances.  It’s embarrassing, in all honesty.  And I’m sure Bayern being the biggest pusher of ‘FFP’ has absolutely nothing to do with their dominance - the worst of the closed shop brigade.  Cunt’s club. 

Edit: for context, unless this has changed in the last decade and I’ve forgotten (can’t be arsed to check), three in a row is the most managed in English football.  Herbert Chapman’s great Huddersfield and Arsenal teams managed it in the 20s and 30s respectively, Liverpool’s superb early ‘80s side, and Ferguson managed it at least once from memory (99-01; I think they may have done it again under him, though I could be wrong).  Winning ten in a row is such a joke that no-one has even managed it in Scotland. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Bayern are completely revolting man.

How dare Nagelsman not be miles ahead in the league at this stage and have to actually compete for the league title. My God man.

Bundesliga for all the plaudits regarding fans ownership etc, is the absolute worst league due to Bayern's antics. And they actually think what they're doing is impressive.

Just buying any half decent player from any team that looks like it might challenge them or taking their managers. 

Completely pointless league and I hope their national team continues to suffer and stink it up due to this.

5 hours ago, Kanji said:

Must be more to this??

this from ESPN made me laugh:

Despite having reached the quarterfinals of the Champions League this season, Bayern are struggling by their standards in domestic competition, trailing Tuchel's former team Borussia Dortmund by a point in the standings and just four ahead of third-place Union Berlin.

🤣 the horror of it 

The fans must be having sleepless nights.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Being sacked for not winning the league at a canter is damning of the entire structure of German football at present. Ten titles in a row in a major league is a joke - the Bundesliga is often lauded up for its ownership models, but Bayern’s total dominance (rather than just winning it every other year) has coincided with a massive downturn in the national team’s players and performances.  It’s embarrassing, in all honesty.  And I’m sure Bayern being the biggest pusher of ‘FFP’ has absolutely nothing to do with their dominance - the worst of the closed shop brigade.  Cunt’s club. 

Edit: for context, unless this has changed in the last decade and I’ve forgotten (can’t be arsed to check), three in a row is the most managed in English football.  Herbert Chapman’s great Huddersfield and Arsenal teams managed it in the 20s and 30s respectively, Liverpool’s superb early ‘80s side, and Ferguson managed it at least once from memory (99-01; I think they may have done it again under him, though I could be wrong).  Winning ten in a row is such a joke that no-one has even managed it in Scotland. 

Before their current run of titles the most consecutive titles they’d won at any point was three. Still pretty dominant but the past ten years they have just killed off all competition. 

Remember when they announced Gotze was signing on the eve of the CL final…against Dortmund. 

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Before their current run of titles the most consecutive titles they’d won at any point was three. Still pretty dominant but the past ten years they have just killed off all competition. 

Remember when they announced Gotze was signing on the eve of the CL final…against Dortmund. 

Yeah, the Gotze move was first class shitbagging.  Fucking horrible club. 

13 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Great post.

It's turning into the SPL. 

13 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

German domestic football has the whiff of the old days when English football was quite insular. Banned from Europe we were convinced we knew better than everyone else, and that's when we had the regression to hoofball and the rise of the PFMs.

It's not a bad idea in principal to have a certain amount of insularity to preserve the look and feel of the domestic game, but I doubt the PL would have become the best league in the world if we had continued down that road.

36 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Nagelsmann falling right into Spurs lap is pretty sickening man. We could have really done without that. 

Spurs are currently a CL club, London based as well, which still matters to foreign managers. I'm not a fan of London personally, but from an cosmopolitan POV it does make sense. They along with the other traditional big six are always going to get choice of top managers, if it wasn't Nagelsman it would have been Tuchel or Poch. I mean look at the manager who is on the way out, that tells you a lot.

The best hope for the downfall of Spurs has to be Levy's penny pinching and his insistence on trying to rein top managers into his way of thinking. He's always struck me as the rich man's Ashley in many ways.

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

Spurs are currently a CL club, London based as well, which still matters to foreign managers. I'm not a fan of London personally, but from an cosmopolitan POV it does make sense. They along with the other traditional big six are always going to get choice of top managers, if it wasn't Nagelsman it would have been Tuchel or Poch. I mean look at the manager who is on the way out, that tells you a lot.

The best hope for the downfall of Spurs has to be Levy's penny pinching and his insistence on trying to rein top managers into his way of thinking. He's always struck me as the rich man's Ashley in many ways.

I would have been cool with Tuchel going there actually. He's another hot head that can be quite tough on players, and those Spurs pansies would have capitulated under him.

Nagelsman worries me. He's young and so more likely to embrace their project and work within Levy's approach. He's also a lot more flexible tactically and attack minded, and he's more likely to make use of all of their attacking talent to their optimum. Likely going to see all of Kane, Richarlison, Son and Kulusevski on the pitch at the same time now, and I could see that coming together really well.

Hoping Levy somehow fumbles this and they do not end up with him or Pochettino. 

Edited by KaKa