Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It is nice to have that little bit of hope now with Pardew but, to be honest, the only time I got real hope for Pardew was after the 6 game/4-3-3 run in the 5th season and then Anita was signed in the summer  - I was excited, I thought we we were going for a possession style and so on.

Once the season started though... well, yeah. And I'm not remotely close to that same level of hope ( :lol:) now - but there is a glimmer.

It's great that the excitement is back for most fans like but most people were being correctly conservative about our little run before the Man U result because of the manner of the performances ect. No doubt that the Man U match was our best performance too and that's the most encouraging aspect for me.

But it does remain to be seen just how much of a scalp this Man U side was - West Brom did do the same to them as us tbf. Time will tell, but at least there is a glimmer I suppose.

Interesting comments from harper if anyone listened to total sport. Said before the start of last season pardew wanted them averaging the same amount as passes as top four(around 550 I think?) but found it hard to implement with the squad changing so much with Europe. Seem to be seeing what he wanted to do last season, this season.

Interesting comments from harper if anyone listened to total sport. Said before the start of last season pardew wanted them averaging the same amount as passes as top four(around 550 I think?) but found it hard to implement with the squad changing so much with Europe. Seem to be seeing what he wanted to do last season, this season.

Well at least he's recognised that the direct football route will only take you so far, but the worry remains for me that it's not his natural instinct like it was for Keegan, so we'll have to see how it will hold up under pressure. Also he needs to work out how to translate harmless possession in your own half to passing that will actually hurt the opposition. Swansea for example pushed men very aggressively into our half and we found that hard to cope with. Will Pardew be able to do that against the lesser teams?

Well at least he's recognised that the direct football route will only take you so far, but the worry remains for me that it's not his natural instinct like it was for Keegan, so we'll have to see how it will hold up under pressure. Also he needs to work out how to translate harmless possession in your own half to passing that will actually hurt the opposition. Swansea for example pushed men very aggressively into our half and we found that hard to cope with. Will Pardew be able to do that against the lesser teams?

In theory if he has the right personnel on the pitch, then it shouldn't be a problem. Attack minded and/or progressive minded players such as Cabaye, Anita, Ben Arfa, Remy, Gouffran, Sissoko, and even Vuckic, Sammy, as well as our two starting fullbacks have more than enough in their locker to hurt teams.

It's a big day for him today as far as I'm concerned.  He said after the Man U game that he'd told the players to play possession football rather than more direct football and I want the same again.  We have the players to play that way and we're a better team for it.  Also, by that admission he's proven that the players do listen to him so the myth that the players do what they want as soon as they get on the pitch is busted.

It's a big day for him today as far as I'm concerned.  He said after the Man U game that he'd told the players to play possession football rather than more direct football and I want the same again.  We have the players to play that way and we're a better team for it.  Also, by that admission he's proven that the players do listen to him so the myth that the players do what they want as soon as they get on the pitch is busted.

Steve Harper said on total sport through the week, he had been trying to get this message through to the players last season.

It is a big day in some ways, a game against a team who are imo at a very similar level to us at the moment, they do seem more consistent than us in terms of performance but they also seem a bit blunt at times, very tough to break down though.

I don't think there's any need to heap pressure on for games like this, obviously want to win all home games especially but Pardew under pressure gets more and more nervous in how he sets out the team, with relegation fears receding I want him to through the shackles off and just go out and play better football, the results will come better than his desperate not to lose tactics. Our huge late run in the 5th season coincided (with players hitting form too) with us hitting safety effectively. We rushed up the table when we no longer feared losing too much and I want that back.

Steve Harper said on total sport through the week, he had been trying to get this message through to the players last season.

Pardew said last season that one of our problems was having to play two teams a week, we didn't have to do that, it was his choice.

spot on imo, bit of a martinez thing but i'd probably prefer to see the team 'win the passing' today and maybe be unfortunate to not get all 3 points than do the usual fucking dance at home

if we could play a patient passing game at home it'll stand us in great stead in the future

It is a big day in some ways, a game against a team who are imo at a very similar level to us at the moment, they do seem more consistent than us in terms of performance but they also seem a bit blunt at times, very tough to break down though.

I don't think there's any need to heap pressure on for games like this, obviously want to win all home games especially but Pardew under pressure gets more and more nervous in how he sets out the team, with relegation fears receding I want him to through the shackles off and just go out and play better football, the results will come better than his desperate not to lose tactics. Our huge late run in the 5th season coincided (with players hitting form too) with us hitting safety effectively. We rushed up the table when we no longer feared losing too much and I want that back.

Both posts. :thup:

Hoping to see some good stuff today.

Did he think we had the game in the bag by bringing Cisse on? We couldn't afford a passenger ffs.

We can't afford a 10 mio player sitting on the bench, either. He has to play him at some point here and there again if he's going to regain some kind of form. (which he probably won't.)