Newcastle United 5 - 1 Stoke City - 26/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 39

Rich

Really strange game, I did wish the second half would go on forever. I don't think Benny should start against Arsenal however. He was almost anonymous in the first half until the sendings off.

Other than that, great day out, watched it with a few mates who were back up to Newcastle over the hols, so it was extra special.

thats means you agree with me. if you want to modify your post I'll ditch this to avoid embarrassment,

I really think that it is time that the BBC showed extended highlights of each game on the red button. MOTD infuriates me week in week out now.

It's beyond a joke that the televised games are the ones given the majority of the of the highlights section. The other week it took over 40 minutes to complete the highlights and analysis of the first match, again it was a match that was on TV earlier in the day and showed 1 of the big 6 clubs.

Today (well yesterday now) our match had the highest amount of goals and also the largest winning margin, not only that but it had two player sendings off, another managerial sending off, two penalties, and plenty more action. Yet we were 4th in the run in, really it should have been first.

Surely now each match should have an equal amount of coverage? It seems a bit wrong that fans of other teams don't get to see their team perform when they can't actually attend matches, which in an ever growing 24/7 society is often the case now.

The red button with extended highlights/full match coverage is a good idea, however Sky have that wrapped up as well. That raises another question, how come Sky the dominate TV provider of live matches is also allowed the extended highlights as well? Surely that should be given elsewhere as it's just another monopolisation.

I really think that it is time that the BBC showed extended highlights of each game on the red button. MOTD infuriates me week in week out now.

It's beyond a joke that the televised games are the ones given the majority of the of the highlights section. The other week it took over 40 minutes to complete the highlights and analysis of the first match, again it was a match that was on TV earlier in the day and showed 1 of the big 6 clubs.

Today (well yesterday now) our match had the highest amount of goals and also the largest winning margin, not only that but it had two player sendings off, another managerial sending off, two penalties, and plenty of more action. Yet we were 4th in the run in, really it should have been first.

Surely now each match should have an equal amount of coverage? It seems a bit wrong that fans of other teams don't get to see their team perform when they can't actually attend matches, which in an ever growing 24/7 society is often the case now.

'televised games' ? you mean the games of a certain few clubs (and in the past we were in that few).

Today (well yesterday now) our match had the highest amount of goals and also the largest winning margin, not only that but it had two player sendings off, another managerial sending off, two penalties, and plenty of more action. Yet we were 4th in the run in, really it should have been first.

'televised games' ? you mean the games of a certain few clubs (and in the past we were in that few).

Pretty much so. Us being involved in that clique in the past or not is irrelevant, it's still an unfair amount of coverage spread across what are supposed the best 20 clubs in England.

It is a league of 20 clubs, not a league of 6.

Today was one of the most bizarre games I've ever seen.

2 sending off's, 1 I agreed with the other I didn't, a manager sent to the stands, a blatant handball in the lead up to a goal, a possible ball out of play for one of our goals but I thought it was just in, we could have and should have had 4 penalties.

I've probably missed other things.

Other than that I thought Cabaye, Debuchy and Ben Arfa all had good games and Haidara was probably our biggest threat once he came on.  I thought that we missed Tiote in the middle, especially when it was 11 v 11.  Gouffran and Remy didn't do much in the first half and Williamson was passing the ball as well as I've ever seen, maybe he is gaining some confidence and others may be gaining some in him as they were willingly passing to him, something which hasn't always happened.  I'm not sure why Anita was brought off and Shola is still a plank, how the hell does he make a living from football in 2013 from anything other than doing the laundry?

Today (well yesterday now) our match had the highest amount of goals and also the largest winning margin, not only that but it had two player sendings off, another managerial sending off, two penalties, and plenty more action. Yet we were 4th in the run in, really it should have been first.

The red button with extended highlights/full match coverage is a good idea, however Sky have that wrapped up as well. That raises another question, how come Sky the dominate TV provider of live matches is also allowed the extended highlights as well? Surely that should be given elsewhere as it's just another monopolisation.

MOTD is on BBC so matches that were televised earlier on Sky or BT are irrelevant to the order that they decide on

Though I do agree that it's unfair the bigger clubs tend to get shown first/more

Really strange game, I did wish the second half would go on forever. I don't think Benny should start against Arsenal however. He was almost anonymous in the first half until the sendings off.

Other than that, great day out, watched it with a few mates who were back up to Newcastle over the hols, so it was extra special.

thats means you agree with me. if you want to modify your post I'll ditch this to avoid embarrassment,

wat?

wat?

:lol: much alcohol

Pardew made a big call restoring Ben Arfa and sticking with formation that's worked so well away from home. For whatever reason we had no balance to our midfield, Cabaye/Anita/Sissoko never really seemed comfortable early on, gouffran was nowhere to be seen and Ben Arfa was in and out of the game.

Stoke were full value for their one nil lead but i felt we would still turn things around once we made changes to our system to get a foot hold back in the game. Stoke obviously gifted us 3 points with their crazy 5/10 minute period and from then on, it was always a case of how many. Ben Arfa with that much space is just a joy to behold, shame he couldn't cap off his excellent performance with a goal.

Hard to take too much from that game other than start like that against Arsenal and we won’t be getting any points that’s for sure. Giving our run of form of late though and some of the performances we’ve put in, Sunday should be an excellent game and no reason why we can’t look to take all 3 points.

Guest firetotheworks

Tbf, the big clubs generally play better football so it's understandable, but when it's like that Chelsea Arsenal match from the other day, it gets ridiculous. They'll always hype it up as well, regardless.

I can't see the issue with the first red. Whelan saw Cabaye running up to the ball to try and take a quick free kick and then kicked it away. Whelan and Cabaye have words, and then shortly afterwards Whelan is still in a temper and has a little hack at him. Two perfectly good decisions.

Managers really need to grow up. Instead of moaning at the ref, Hughes should be having a go at Whelan because he let his team down and threw away a good situation.

I can't see the issue with the first red. Whelan saw Cabaye running up to the ball to try and take a quick free kick and then kicked it away. Whelan and Cabaye have words, and then shortly afterwards Whelan is still in a temper and has a little hack at him. Two perfectly good decisions.

Managers really need to grow up. Instead of moaning at the ref, Hughes should be having a go at Whelan because he let his team down and threw away a good situation.

Agreed. I was at the game yesterday and I wasn't sure about the first sending off tbh, but after watching the highlights on MOTD, it's quite clear the ref has made the correct decision on both sending offs.

Stoke have only themselves to blame. Could of got something from the game, but they blew it, and we took advantage.

Good win for us in the end. 33 points already, can't complain at all. Brilliant!

it was clearly a case of lets try and rough these soft frenchies up (probably on request from manager) and intimidate our players. I don't really think our team has many that'd work on, especially not Cabaye who is hardly some saintly player himself. It backfired massively, and one thinks the ref may have made up his mind if he saw Whelan telling Cabaye he was going to 'do him' later on.

It was thick and the only reason anyone could be outraged by it is if they are so used to refs letting them get on with their crap billy bremmer throwback attempt that they hadn't noticed that footy is much better to watch if you try and actually play the damn game.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd have been pissed off with that match if it was the other way around. I've never liked Atkinson, but to be completely truthful, if any of our players picked up a yellow card and then went in like Whelan did for the second one, I'd be pissed off with him for being so daft. Worthy of a yellow card or not, it was daft and if Tiote or Cabaye or whoever did that, I'd be saying that they got what they deserved.

I'd have been pissed off with that match if it was the other way around. I've never liked Atkinson, but to be completely truthful, if any of our players picked up a yellow card and then went in like Whelan did for the second one, I'd be pissed off with him for being so daft. Worthy of a yellow card or not, it was daft and if Tiote or Cabaye or whoever did that, I'd be saying that they got what they deserved.

:thup: first challenge was wreckless then immediately after he and Cabaye went into each other like one had called the other's mother a slag, shortly after Whelan goes to do him. He was walking off practically before he made the tackle, no chance it was soft or lucky for us :lol: he was just a moron! :lol: