Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Bruce turned us down in 2004 didn't he?

He was considered a viable option when we were a top 5-6 club with cash to spend by the club.

So was Graeme Souness. Not sure Freddy Shepherd's opinion on managers is one I'd go trusting.

Guest northshieldsmag

He is the fat-headed embodiment of bog standard British management. And he drags his s*** son around with him. Hull is about right for him.

He's one of the best managers in the Premier League tbh. It's a shame Hull didn't progress in Europe this year because part of me can still see Bruce here one day, and it would be good if he had European experience by that point. As a manager he's done well wherever he has been, apart from the Mackems, which was obviously an horrendous appointment.

When Shepherd spoke about appointing him there was a mass rebellion. I think as a  manager he's a plodder who is probably having his best years now but he'll be remembered for nothing in particular apart from Hull fans for reaching their first FA Cup Final.

Only 4 teams were worse than us between January and May, 3 went down and the other one was Hull. I think he has done a good job there because they're Hull City, but we're not.

Hull were a newly promoted side with far less resources than NUFC had in 2010, yet survived fairly comfortably while also doing well in cups. That is a fantastic season, however you want to spin it. This season they have been more ambitious in their transfers, and should look to be more expansive and finish higher. We will see what happens.

Bruce is perfectly competent, IMO, anyway.

He is competent if you support Wigan or Hull. He's not competent enough to manage Newcastle (not a Newcastle being run properly anyway), he wasn't even competent enough to manage sunderland.

Would Spurs or Everton give him a job? That's the level we should be aiming for at an absolute bare minimum. Neither would go near Steve Bruce in a million years and rightly so.

Just because I hate Pardew doesn't mean I'm going to lower my expectations for the type of manager that should be leading NUFC.

:thup:

Only 4 teams were worse than us between January and May, 3 went down and the other one was Hull. I think he has done a good job there because they're Hull City, but we're not.

Hull were a newly promoted side with far less resources than NUFC had in 2010, yet survived fairly comfortably while also doing well in cups. That is a fantastic season, however you want to spin it. This season they have been more ambitious in their transfers, and should look to be more expansive and finish higher. We will see what happens.

Bruce is perfectly competent, IMO, anyway.

He is competent if you support Wigan or Hull. He's not competent enough to manage Newcastle (not a Newcastle being run properly anyway), he wasn't even competent enough to manage sunderland.

Would Spurs or Everton give him a job? That's the level we should be aiming for at an absolute bare minimum. Neither would go near Steve Bruce in a million years and rightly so.

Just because I hate Pardew doesn't mean I'm going to lower my expectations for the type of manager that should be leading NUFC.

Can't argue with that.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm just remembering Ginola and me being 11. I think if I had both side by side at the same age I'd love Hatem more. I can't even imagine what I'd have been like after the Bolton goal considering what I was like with the Man United goal. Still love Daveed like, but fucking hell. HBA under Keegan, can you imagine that man!?

Anyone seen old saggy chops piece in the sun today

Love letter to fans...Hats just ridiculous

HATEM BEN ARFA has written an open letter to Newcastle fans thanking them for their support in a city "that will be forever in my heart".

If I was a magpies supporter I think id like to write back to him and ask why didn't he try harder more often when he played for my team. That aside lets look, lets look at Ben Arfas team and keep it in what football often lacks - perspective. How many games did he play 50-60.Hes not exactly Alan Shearer, Kevin Keegan or Jackie Milburn is he? Yet there seems to be a growing trend among modern footballers to open their hearts and pour out sweet nothings to the supporters they leave behind.

You suspect this is a common ploy to ensure they don't get a barrel of abuse when they turn up in their new teams colours as Ben Arfa will when with his new club Hull this season. It seems to be part of the culture of going on to twitter to speak out at every opportunity. I saw them all doing it the other night after England's 1-0 win over Norway and while I don't follow all that stuff, im pretty sure none of it was of any interest, its all a load of cobblers.. Alvaro Negrado did the same thing after he left Manchester City. He went there supposedly a world class then after 30 games he couldn't get in the team but still earned millions of pounds. Then he goes and pours out his emotions to the City fans as he heads off on loan to Valencia. Give me strength.

If this was Scholes,Giggs or Adams retiring then yeah its got credibility. If I saw an open letter from Shearer as a Newcastle fan id think it was the real deal and id love it. Of course I understand that over time a strong bond can germinate and grow between a club, its fans and a long serving player but the days of testimonials are fading fast. Not because the players are so fabulously weathly now that they don't need the cash from a benefit game. No its because so few of them stick around for more than a couple of seasons, yet we supposed to fall for the gushy nonsense that this team will be forever in their heart.

Do me a favour this is the same as players when they refuse to celebrate after scoring against their former clubs. I belie it was Carlos Tevez who started that particular habit when he scored a goal against West Ham. Lets be honest here West Ham didn't want Tevez even when they had him. Alan Pardew was the manager and he pretty much refused to play him. When Alan Curbishley took over it was much the same, he only got in the team for about ten games at the end of the season they stayed up and he scored a few goals for them, good but he's not exactly Bobby Moore is he. Then he hits the net against the hammers playing for Manchester United and he wheels away like he's just been told he has a week to live.

You cant tell me he wasn't happy inside, he's a professional footballer and his lively hood depends on him scoring goals. I'm sure West Ham fans thought it admirable that Tevez behaved the way he did but would they really be that bothered if he hadn't. 

Now I haven't hated old Harry as much as some but hes certainly starting to fucking piss me off now. Doesn't the fucking idiot see that he wanted to stay at the club and the fans wanted him to stay it was the fuckwit of a manager that was in the way and obviously Hatem had to move on for the sake of his career and wanted to thank the fans that had supported him and so what if a player wants to thanks fans that he got on well with but has decided to move on for what ever reason that's up to him just because old saggy chops would jump ship without saying fuck all I seem to remember moving from Pompey to fierce rivals Southampton then back again, great loyalty.

And to suggest that Hatem would get a bad reception when he comes back letter or no letter is ridiculous, the lad will get a great reception and even think their may be a Ben Arfa song in support of him.

Fuck off Harry u twat

( The only plus of the article is everyone's reminded of Pardews fuckwittery with Tevez )

Is that real? ???

Reads like a rambling Facebook post.

Aye its real I copied it from the paper so odd bit of grammar and punctuality may be me miscopying but the rambling nature of it is him. 

:lol: You retyped the whole thing? That's some dedication.

So much wrong with that Redknapp piece.

Firstly, Hatem Ben Arfa will get a great reception if / when he ever plays at St James' Park again, irrespective of writing a letter or not.

Secondly, Harry suggests that'll happen this season. It won't, because of his loan conditions.

Basically Harry, you're a fucking idiot and don't know the first thing of which you write.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/fact-theres-guarantees-hatem-ben-arfa-will-sets-apart/

The arguments on Hatem Ben Arfa are never ending and varied but come from these two opposing viewpoints.

One is that you should have Ben Arfa in the team as he is likely to produce a moment of inspiration, while the negatives claim that his workrate and overall contribution is pathetic.

The problem is that like Chinese whispers, the truth gets more and more distorted the longer the arguments go on, especially for those who have it in for Ben Arfa and/or blindly support the ridiculous people we have running Newcastle United.

If you listen to them now, you would think you were lucky to get more than a jog out of Hatem once or twice a season.

The truth is that any flair player won’t produce week in week out over a whole season. You are asking them to do the hard things, create and score goals, plus in Ben Arfa’s case go on mazy dribbles that keep the opposition on the back foot.

The way the negatives talk, it is as though the alternative to playing Hatem is some sure fire winning plan. The truth is of course, it isn’t.

When players such as Anita, Gouffran, Obertan and others are on the pitch, there is a reason why the opposition don’t feel the need to double mark them.

Yes you have guarantees with these players (and with most of the rest of our midfield/attack) but those ‘guarantees’ are that they will be able repeatedly to pass the ball ten yards sideways or back, whilst also occasionally running forward ten yards before running twenty back and passing the ball/buck.

Ben Arfa always carries a threat, even when the opposition have possession, they know if they lose the ball and Hatem gets it, he will be away and towards goal, prepared to take on anybody in his way.

Any sensible manager would be looking to use this strength and have Ben Arfa as one of your two most forward players ALL of the time, thus stopping defenders feeling they can get forward without leaving the way open for a quick counter-attack. You don’t want your most threatening players close to your own goal, you want them as close to the opposition’s as possible.

(To feature like John, send in your articles for our website to [email protected])

Deluded fans will claim it is a ‘safe’ option to pick the likes of Anita and Gouffran but it’s not, if you have a team of players such as those (which sadly we pretty much do have now) then you are knackered.

Last season was only saved thanks to having Yohan Cabaye and Loic Remy to produce moments of magic. Cabaye’s workrate is excellent as well but it is his bravery in attempting and often succeeding in trying the unusual or creating situations that others don’t see, that makes him the threat that he is. Remy is the same threat but in a different way and it only works with him when he has that freedom to sit on the shoulder of the last man or be allowed to stay high up the pitch in the hope of a quick counter-attack.

If players like Remy and Ben Arfa are expected constantly to be covering their full-backs then you might as well not play them…

Which is of course the position that Alan Pardew has got us into. He claims that he’s never had so much creativity in the team, something that fans are struggling to see so far.

As I’ve said, the reaction of the opposition players tells you a lot about your own team, whenever Ben Arfa played he was double marked, he was a constant threat.

Just as the polar opposite, opposing players always leave Mike Williamson well alone and encourage Newcastle to give him the ball because he is a bag of nerves when he has it.

So now Ben Arfa has unbelievably been given away when we have this creativity crisis, we can look forward to at least half a season of Anita, Gouffran, Riviere, Sissoko, Obertan and the rest shuffling the ball ten yards back and forwards.

Decent piece but still a load of :anguish: in the comments section. Our fans are so fucking thick sometimes.

"Let's be honest here West Ham didn't want Tevez even when they had him. Alan Pardew was the manager and he pretty much refused to play him".

How agenda driven or spectacularly thick do you have to be not to hear a little bell going off there when you write that. Are all managers living in a little world of their own?

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes  42s

Rob Elliot on Ireland, #Nufc, new players & Ben Arfa. "I don’t want to just get the tag of being a No 2 keeper." http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/international/article4200613.ece … (£)

Anyone have a paid account to see what he says about ben arfa? My bet is pardew has wheeled him out as chief propaganda machine

His interview is in the journal.

he says HBA is a good player and a nice lad and any dispute was between HBA and the club.