Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Whoever's daft enough to go to Hull, get the HBA chant going as much as possible.  Make it clear who it is we don't want here.

We have Sammy Ameobi and Obertan in the squad instead of the most naturally gifted player we've had since SBR was gaffer.

I think so, yes. I've never seen anyone strike a football better for us, and as frequently to the team's huge benefit. Robert naturally had absolutely everything I'd want from a winger and more.

well i don't necessarily agree, robert certainly produced a lot on the pitch in goals and assists but there's a reason ben arfa's talents have been likened to the best in the world

unfortunately he's just never produced in the way robert did, yet

Agree with Ronaldo that Robert is better than Ben Arfa. They are too very different players but SBR found the magic formula to make Robert perform consistently.

Tbh I think HBA would have struggled to break into that team.

Agree with Ronaldo that Robert is better than Ben Arfa. They are too very different players but SBR found the magic formula to make Robert perform consistently.

It behind have been between him and dyer, and dyer in his pomp was going to be Gazza's replacement for England, he was great for us under SBR.

Harsh to compare players when one was allowed to attack and play his natural game and the other was nullified and made to track-back IMHO

Totally different players, if you need a player to score a free kick, rattle one in from distance or provide a cross its Robert.  If you need someone to dismantle a stubborn defence with some dribbling magic its Ben Arfa.  Personally I think its hard to say one was more naturally talented than the other without being specific about the kind of talent you're referring to, they were both more naturally gifted than each other in different ways.  Though I'd always prefer to watch Ben Arfa play because he gets involved more than Robert did and is just electric, while Robert was basically just moments of magic with a sudden goal/assist with nowt in between.  As far as getting in Sir Bobby's team, it would have been hard to remove anyone permanently from that side because they worked so well together.  But he'd certainly have added something different to the squad and played plenty of games.

Hatem might have all the talent in the world but Robert was twice the player he will ever be.

Had far more impact, due to actually being allowed to play his natural game, but nowhere near twice the player.

Robert was twice the player he will ever be.

True. Hatem's got special talent but Robert consistently turned draws and defeats into wins, against top teams as well. No substitute for that.

Defeats into wins? I don't understand this concept.

Robert was twice the player he will ever be.

True. Hatem's got special talent but Robert consistently turned draws and defeats into wins, against top teams as well. No substitute for that.

Robert on one side and Solano on the other man. :megusta:

Robert had leaders around him on the pitch who demanded performances from the players. nowadays you cant even look to the captain for leadership or inspiration.

imagine speed, shearer, lee, venison and the like in this team. it was cabaye who led us to 5th, not pardew.

Guest TruToon94

Thank f*** this t*** wasn't playing yesterday. Imagine the damage he could have done if he he'd been on the pitch not tracking back.

:pardsgrin: