Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Issue is with Perez that he'll be frustrating as fuck for the vast majority of a game, being muscled off of the ball easily, losing the ball in awful areas, making the wrong decisions on counter attacks but then he'll pop up with a bit of a play and final pass like he provided to Joselu which he should've stuck away, or he'll score a vital goal as he did a few times in the back end of last season.

Should rather be relying on him as an impact player. I do really like him and he can be very useful but we desperately need someone with more creativity and end product in his position. He should have made the definitive step-up ability wise ages ago.

If he were to leave tomorrow you'd have to look back on his time and admit that his positive contributions have far outweighed the effects of his limitations. At the end of the day, he's a lad we picked up from the Segunda for less than a couple million, yet he's been virtually an ever-present for the last four years. The value is incredible. :lol:

Can't believe we've only got 238 pages out of him actually.

He’s basically another victim of way Ashley runs the club.  He’d be a useful option from the bench or to use in certain games, but i think he suffers because we rely on him to play a role that he’s not quite suited to possibly isn’t ever going to be good enough to play.

He’s definitely frustrating but i did enjoy watching him last night.  From the very start of the game his movement was class and he kept finding space in the final third.  There were also some nice, sharp bits of link-up play with Rondon and Kenedy that got us up the pitch.  He played a big part for me.

He’ll probably have me pulling my hair out again on saturday  :lol:

Issue is with Perez that he'll be frustrating as fuck for the vast majority of a game, being muscled off of the ball easily, losing the ball in awful areas, making the wrong decisions on counter attacks but then he'll pop up with a bit of a play and final pass like he provided to Joselu which he should've stuck away, or he'll score a vital goal as he did a few times in the back end of last season.

This is true but also not the full story. The stats seem to suggest that he works really hard, does a lot of ‘take ons’ and wins the ball back a lot. That’s why I force myself to put up with how rare his genuinely brilliant moments are, he obviosuly contributes a lot to the team.

He’s a really hard player to assess, especially in the context of our limitations and the other options in the squad. Like him a lot as a lad though.

This is true but also not the full story. The stats seem to suggest that he works really hard, does a lot of ‘take ons’ and wins the ball back a lot. That’s why I force myself to put up with how rare his genuinely brilliant moments are, he obviosuly contributes a lot to the team.

He’s a really hard player to assess, especially in the context of our limitations and the other options in the squad. Like him a lot as a lad though.

Aye fair enough, agree with that. :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

I personally think there is a good player in there, one with limitations and flaws admittedly, but he’s shown enough since coming here he has potential.

Under Rafa though, I think his natural game and potential hasn’t been fully realised on a consistent basis because that side of his game is less important to how we play or set up than his pressing game, his work-rate, his discipline in terms of taking up positions and how he fits into the team off the ball in terms of shape that is our default game.

But because he has ability and potential, we do sometimes benefit from that in terms of what he is good at or capable of being good at, but it’s sporadic and not enough.

I dare say Perez at say a Watford, would show more of his natural game and ability on a more consistent basis than we get from him here because I think that side of his game would be better suited to a more free flowing, attacking and less demanding team in terms of pressing, defensive duties, tactics and shape.

For us, he’s not at the level to do both to a high standard every game and we as a team cannot afford such a luxury in allowing an attacking player more freedom that frees him of the kind of defensive duties and off the ball work all our players are instructed to carry out.

The end result is Perez has become vital to our game plan and system not for what he gives us on the ball or in attack, but what he gives us off the ball, in the way Rondon isn’t here for his goalscorimh ability, but Perez is at least capable of doing something on the ball others aren’t that right now justifies his place in the team, for Rafa anyway.

For me it’s frustrating because I think he has potential and it’s being traded for a side of his game that obviously helps the team, but at the expense of his own natural game that he has shown he has quality, quality when he does show we benefit so much from and look so much better for.

For Rafa he has to juggle all of that though and a lot of this is down to the level of quality or lack of he has at his disposal and the challenge of keeping this team up.

I think we are seeing the same thing happening with Kennedy who I believe has even more potential than Perez, but right now, his game is all about pressing, tracking back, working hard and taking up certain positions off the ball more than anything else which limits his own game on it and almost guarantees inconsistent and sporadic performances where we see his talent, ability and potential in flashes.

As such we are so reliant on them finding the right pass or putting the ball in the back of the net or doing something good on the ball that when they don’t we are so impotent and struggle badly to even create a chance never mind a few. And because of how we play and how they play we are so reliant on them doing something right or good or productive every time they are on the ball because they see so little of it, when the do it’s with their back to goal, deep or with no real support.

That’s not going to change for now and I guess we just have to accept this and hope that one day we can get more out of our better players like Perez because we have better players to call on so we don’t have to sit deep, press so much, surrender possession or be as defensive, that or we can replace the likes of Perez with better quality who can do all the off the ball stuff but are so good on it when they get the ball or get into a shooting position they do something good or do the right thing more often than not. Like what Torres brought to Liverpool.

What I will say, we will see more from Perez and Kennedy for example if we can keep the same team going and build on our confidence playing from the back. Perez doesn’t have the pace to latch onto a Shelvey ball over the top, where as Ki can slip a ball through to him to his feet or link up a series of quick interchange of play in a pass and move because Perez has good quick feet and technique to receive the ball to feet and move away with it.

Mitrovic didn’t have the mobility to work right to left and central deep or further forward like Rondon does which allows Perez to drop off or push up alongside him. Joselu doesn’t have the strength or leading of the line skills to draw two defenders to him to leave space like Rondon does that Perez can take up and Ki can quickly spot and play a ball to his feet.

He was far more involved against Burnley and although he frustrated, we saw things he’s good at and capable of. When he had some time and room, with the ball at his feet further forward and facing the opposition goal, he was a threat.

Right now, Lascelles and Shelvey are looking the odd men out. Key to all of this is Diame, Ki needs him alongside him, so does the back four or five. He covers so much ground, breaks up play so well, is economical on the ball and can also carry it and drive the team 20-30 yards forward. Ki compliments his game more than Shelvey does.

By playing out from the back, Yedlin is becoming much more involved as well, if the ball is punted long up front, there is no point him racing up following its trajectory only to have to race back as it comes straight back our way or jockey back because we are so deep Ritchie has to play the ball back to him back in our own half or his right back position.

There were lots of positives on the ball against Burnley and we are finally starting to see a system of play on the ball, we know we are good or better than most off it, I’d just like to see us on the ball more because we will see Perez and Kennedy on the ball more, get more bodies into the box and get the likes of Yedlin overlapping more.

tl;dr I know :lol:

I still find him more annoying that enjoyable to watch, but then I’m sort of forced to accept that he’s contributing a fair bit. It’s weird.

I reckon that if he were playing for Huddersfield or Crystal Palace, you'd think he was completely shit.

However, when we play well, it is because the team is operating an effective system that is not reliant on individuals to make something happen. If we had highly skilled, free-spirited players, perhaps Rafa's system would emasculate them, but they all cost money that the club will not spend. The "work hard and do what you're told" approach therefore suits the rag-tag collection of players we do have.

Perez frustrates me most when he's in a good position, in the box for example and loses it trying to beat another player. That's one situation where you want to be watching in the ground, not on tv, because then you can see where all the other players are. I seem to remember the rule of tiki-taka was that the man in possession should always have two options. I get the impression that our forwards often do not even have one option.

Despite frustrating enigmatic moments he probably has more ability to open up a defence or score an important goal than any other player we have, and his general play will be viewed in a much better light by Rafa and his analysts than an average fan's view.

With Rafa he'll always be a regular starter and should an upgrade come along I don't think there'd be any shortage of takers for Ayoze at pretty decent money.

Agree with this. It's why I find the calls for Shelvey to replace him as a makeshift no 10 somewhat baffling. There's no way Jonjo could cover the amount of ground Perez does, or pull out wide and track back like he does.

Perez lacks top level quality, but like Diame, he does all the right things, just not at the level you would want if you are a top 6 club. Which we aren't.

I think about it... James Maddison cost £20. Anderson double that. Josh King would be £20m+. For what we speculate, Ayoze is about the right level.

I feel like a Maddison would take us to the next level. A Fraser on the wing. We'd become a different beast entirely. But that would mean spending £50m very well. We won't spend that.

Aye fair enough, agree with that. :thup:

This conversation sums it up for me with Perez. Spot on.

Guest firetotheworks

He has the ability to be diabolical and still get a goal, so I don't really care anymore tbh. He's frustrating as fuck, but it's a lot easier if you just accept him warts and all.

Fucking awful man. He’s had 4 decent chances, 3 which should be certain goals. He can’t pass, goes down under every challenge, doesn’t press opposition defenders, doesn’t make runs.

Im frustrated with him but fuck off :lol: