Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Sorry if already mentioned but noticed this on .com:

Gini Wijnaldum has scored four times in a game previously, for Feyenoord in a 5-1 home win over Groningen in February 2011. As was the case today, they all came from open play (23,31,48 & 83mins).

Either Wijnaldum's memory is fading or .com have got it wrong as the player himself said in his post-match interview on Sky that two of the four for Feyenoord against Groningen were penalties.

EDIT: His memory is fine - quick Google search shows 2 of the Feyenoord 4 were pens.

Why would they make a point of mentioning they all came from open play without researching it.

Daily Mail levels of competence there.

Sorry if already mentioned but noticed this on .com:

Gini Wijnaldum has scored four times in a game previously, for Feyenoord in a 5-1 home win over Groningen in February 2011. As was the case today, they all came from open play (23,31,48 & 83mins).

Either Wijnaldum's memory is fading or .com have got it wrong as the player himself said in his post-match interview on Sky that two of the four for Feyenoord against Groningen were penalties.

EDIT: His memory is fine - quick Google search shows 2 of the Feyenoord 4 were pens.

Why would they make a point of mentioning they all came from open play without researching it.

They only say today's goals came from open play, so they are right.

Aye, loads of us wanted him to play further back instead of Jogback, which is nowhere near the same as wanting him to play as a defensive midfielder :lol:

He's our best goal scoring threat and people want him to play further back. Staggering really.

The system we played yesterday really suits him, I just think we need someone a lot better than Colback in there so we dont get exposed.

Agree but Gini shouldn't be a replacement for Colback as others have initiated. I think we need to prioritise bringing in another DCM in January as Colback, Anita and Tiote aren't good enough.

The system we played yesterday really suits him, I just think we need someone a lot better than Colback in there so we dont get exposed.

Agree but Gini shouldn't be a replacement for Colback as others have initiated. I think we need to prioritise bringing in another DCM in January as Colback, Anita and Tiote aren't good enough.

On the latest evidence definitely not. We've only seen 9 games from the lads so we are learning more and more about him. Playing him as a replacement for Colback seemed like a good idea a month or so a go, now it's looking like someone with a bit of ability on the ball as well as a solid physical presence is needed with Gini coming in off the left with a bit of freedom.

Hopefully his best buddy arrives and gives us width and quality down that left hand side when he cuts in and makes runs in and through the center.

His best buddy has just sustained another long term injury. Out for another six weeks at least.

Ouch.

We're still struggling to find the best role for this player. His best work is down the centre, but it looked at the start that he was still expected to help out the full back defensively.

I'd like to see us play a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, but as others have said we need a good midfield anchor man to make that work, and at the moment we don't have that. I'd like to see -

Wiljnaldum Newbie Colback

Sissoko Perez

Mitrovic.