Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

How about this for a glowing endorsement?

Newcastle United midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum no doubt thought he was doing Steve McClaren a favour when he blamed the club's poor form on himself and his team-mates. However, the Dutchman instead somehow ended up denigrating his manager.

"I don't think it's the fault of the trainer that we've performed badly," Wijnaldum said. "I think for this club, he's the best that we can get right now."

:lol: [/giggs]

Surprised this hasnt been bumped. Very impressed with him today. One of the few genuine 'footballers' we have, his composure on the ball is top class imo.

I thought he worked really hard too, even in the first half when we were getting battered he was chasing back and scrapping for the ball. Top lad :thup:

He's our best player, IMO. He's a fabulous footballer and is always, always looking to find a position to score. I thought Sissoko was a bit turd today and would consider dropping him for Villa. Wijnaldum inside right with Janmaat pushed up, Thauvin on the left for some actual supply from both sides of the pitch.

He's just a class act for me. Does go quiet but doesn't seem to do much wrong. Not sure if the quietness is down to being out of position though.

What is his position though? Think he's just a player in general that goes in and out of games

He's just a class act for me. Does go quiet but doesn't seem to do much wrong. Not sure if the quietness is down to being out of position though.

What is his position though? Think he's just a player in general that goes in and out of games

Aye, seems so. Cabaye was the same but he would get bogged down in the midfield battle. Not sure why with Winjaldum

He can be quiet at times but it has a lot to do with us not having a natural attacking left back. We almost don't play through Dummett at all (rightly so) and it makes that left hand side quite easy to defend against as we don't attack with many players down that side. A forward bombing LB would make us so much better in general and also open things up for Wijnaldum. He's not the type of player that makes runs forward off the ball up to the corner flag to whip a cross in, and even if he was then Dummett wouldn't be the one providing them. I think this has alot to do with it. Combined with us having no quality in the centre going forward to keep the opposition busy. We don't have much possession either.

As it is now we lack threat in too many positions. It makes it so obvious that we're trying to build and start our attacks through our right hand side most times as we have pretty much nothing in the centre and a LB that's not very good at passing, starting attacks on our left, never mind overlapping and giving team mates good options going forward.

If we had a better LB and decent CM's, or at least one CM then we'd be so much better (obvious i know) and so would Sissoko and Janmaat be. I mean, how often do we switch play from one flank to another to get the opposition out of their comfort zone and continue the attack where there's space? Almost never i'd say, and when we do it it goes way too slow. When we at times do manage it we don't have enough going forward on the left. There's no balance and it makes it too damn easy for the opposition to take Sissoko and Janmaat out. Santon wasn't very strong defensively, nor did he have any end product, but at least he could run and carry the ball and was a good passer. We need a few players, but a new LB has to be one of them imo.

I'd say his best position would be in the middle of the pitch, in between a dm and a number 10.

He's played his worst games for us in that kind of position hasn't he? Could work in a 433 maybe

We haven't got a dm, so I doubt we've played that formation. Which game do you think of?

He's clearly good enough to play anywhere in midfield, it's just a question of how you get him involved as much as possible in a formation that allows him to be in and around  the oppositions box a lot

I'd say his best position would be in the middle of the pitch, in between a dm and a number 10.

He's played his worst games for us in that kind of position hasn't he? Could work in a 433 maybe

We haven't got a dm, so I doubt we've played that formation. Which game do you think of?

He's clearly good enough to play anywhere in midfield, it's just a question of how you get him involved as much as possible in a formation that allows him to be in and around  the oppositions box a lot

He's played centre midfield in a few games I think hasn't he?