Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Superb this afternoon, best player on the park without doing anything exceptional, just kept it simple, remained in control of the ball and kept possession well in key areas. Maybe the penny has dropped?

Diame must have hooked him up with Victor Conte. Looked really sharp, a yard quicker and was smashing into challenges all over the pitch. Pure class. 

Aye where he and Diame have got this energy from - I don't know.

They are using the life force of Merino who is just tied up to a machine at the training ground.

Displayed exactly what type of player he should be in that game. Absolutely fantastic all round contribution, great passing range, sensing danger, shots on target, working hard and putting in clean effective tackles.

The fact that he has games like that just makes him more infuriating, too often he feels like a luxury player hoping he produces a defence splitting pass or one of his hollywood balls pays off but more often than not he just doesn't deliver. Said all along that the ability is there but mentally he seems to struggle at times. I know he can't play at that level every game but the effort and application should never be in question, hopefully this is a lightbulb moment for him and he can show some real consistency for the remainder of the season.

Unrealistic to expect him to start producing those performances every week. Not unrealistic to expect a far better commitment in games from him though, especially when those around him aren't necessarily up for it. Plenty of times this season I've been rather disgusted by his lazy application in games as soon as we are not seeing the ball and allowing him to play. Him being 5 yards of James McArthur for the whole second half at Palace defined our collapse that day.

The players fed off each others performances yesterday, and they all grew into the game. What we need now is Shelvey to show leadership on the pitch and help drag those around him to a better level. Gives those alongside him the confidence to play by seeing him on top and in control of his game.

Too often in his time here he's had fantastic phases of games, and looks a quality player when the game is rolling for us. Moments later, when it isn't, he simply goes missing and allows games to pass him by, which has a huge knock on effect to our whole team collapsing. 

Never been he's biggest fan, but played brilliantly yesterday. 

While I appreciate that very few players can produce their best performances every week, it's somewhat frustrating that the things that really stood out in his performance yesterday were the 'easy' things that he should be able to reproduce far more consistently - i.e. tackling and closing down.  In some ways that should be the bare minimum he produces.

While I appreciate that very few players can produce their best performances every week, it's somewhat frustrating that the things that really stood out in his performance yesterday were the 'easy' things that he should be able to reproduce far more consistently - i.e. tackling and closing down.  In some ways that should be the bare minimum he produces.

TBF, it's something that has improved loads since Mo Viera turned up. I think that partnership has been key to it all really.

He needs to get more goals and direct assists IMO.

TBF, it's something that has improved loads since Mo Viera turned up. I think that partnership has been key to it all really.

He needs to get more goals and direct assists IMO.

That'd involve having players clinical in the last third. His ball through to Ritchie who was called offside was fantastic, but even if he was called onside don't think Ritchie was going through and finishing.

Don't think he creates enough chances, whether that being a direct assist type chance, or that pass before the pass that really opens a team. He was doing that regularly last season, but he was regularly much further up the pitch when he was on the ball. Now he's more often in his own half, or faced with two lines of defence in front of him - even at his best not sure he's of sufficient quality to be opening teams up from those positions. Can't think of many in the league that can let alone outside big clubs.

Yes, I thought he was excellent yesterday, bossed the midfield. He showed everything - Passing, tackling, work rate, calmness, decision-making. Everything you'd ever want from a midfielder. If he could play like that every week (I know, he won't), he'd be a certainty for the England squad.