Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Shelvey represents what we should be doing all over the pitch. Signing quality (Bruno) and they drop down to back up. Tripper and Krafth seems a good result as well.

Now just need a couple in the final 1/3.

Edited by BoSelecta

I'm no Shelvey lover but it's not the first time he's gone all out to get himself in good nick. Can recall one of the Rafa pre-seasons he had some mental training schedule and obviously benefited from it; 17/18 iirc. 

What's this "lean as a cat" thing all about btw?

He's buying into it, great to see. Can't wait for the season to start to see the improvement of certain individuals in the squad,Eddie is working his magic ?

Edited by Holloway

Under Howe he's been as motivated as ever and has played his most consistent football at NUFC without being sparkling iyam. He never was like but I still think he'll have parts to play this season. If he can hit the form of the latter part of 17-18 with the consistency of last season I'm sure he will but from this coming season moving forward, especially next season, he should be a rotational cup player at best if not moved on.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Some players are naturally fit and don't seem to need much work to maintain it. Shelvey is a naturally stocky lad, who I imagine puts on weight very quickly. He's also not very quick, which exasperated the situation.

Look he should have taken the bull by the horns years ago and learned that in order to keep up with others he needed to have his own fitness plan. It doesn't help when the likes of Bruce are knocking about, mind.

Shelvey was actually excellent for the last 6 months, there's no hiding place now. If his performance or fitness drops, he's out.

The one thing you can't accuse him of is lacking character. He's been challenged and he's up for the fight. Fair play to him.

In 12 months time he will probably be 6th choice for us but he can still contribute.

Guest HTT II

The issue with Shelvey is that he isn’t an athlete, he lacks athleticism, pace and stamina so in order to make up for that you have to be super fit and conditioned, Milner is a prime example. Good on him going the extra yards, had he had that attitude from the off he might have made more of a career than he has for himself. If we are starting with him next season, I’d be worried and I’d rather we kind of got rid of him and a few others for more technical players with better athleticism and manoeuvrability. To his credit though, he’s been quite consistent under Howe, delivering a 6/7 type performance in most games. 

Just now, Beth said:

Obviously wants his contract extension on 80k a week rather than us fucking him off to go to a championship club and be on a quarter of that.

Well obviously he would want that anyone would ?

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

Swear I've read this very same story about him every summer for the last few years. 

Was it last pre season where he was doing interviews saying that he had just learned that alcohol is bad for athletes 

On 23/07/2022 at 17:44, HaydnNUFC said:

Under Howe he's been as motivated as ever and has played his most consistent football at NUFC without being sparkling iyam. He never was like but I still think he'll have parts to play this season. If he can hit the form of the latter part of 17-18 with the consistency of last season I'm sure he will but from this coming season moving forward, especially next season, he should be a rotational cup player at best if not moved on.

He will start most games than not.

He was definitely better than usual the last six months but I wouldn't say he was amazing. Also this highlights how he has never really given 100% for the majority of his time here despite being one of the highest earners.

I don't think he should just be given a free pass for this.

Think we would look far better with Bruno in that role and either Willock or preferably Pacqueta further forward.

Shelvey trimming to best shape and fitness ever is an excellent sign. I really despised him until he's played under Howe. He appears to be making huge efforts to the best he can be.

One year he gets a personal chef, another he goes to anger management, then he learns it's not good to drink after workouts and now he's got a PT in Turkey during the summer. In 10 years he'll be one hell of a player.

It's not his fault he's not quite good enough, he's cut out the hands on knees watching the game go by and he's clearly making an effort. He should have been replaced a few seasons ago and he will be replaced soon. I'll be happy to see the back of him but purely from a sporting perspective. Not the sharpest tack in the tin but under the right leadership he always gives it his best.

I’m one of the weirdos that thinks he’s a really good option to have in the #6 role. He’ll be needed if Bruno picks up an injury or has to be pushed forward again due to lack of availability of our other CMs. For a 2nd option at DLP he is perfect for us right now.