Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Aye, canny that. Under Howe he's been putting in consistent solid performances and doing the donkey work game after game which he only ever seemed to do once every 10 games or so under previous managers. Covering ground, getting stuck in defensively and everyone knows he has an eye for a pass that splits opposition lines. Glad he's now looking for those kinds of passes rather than the 70 yard diagonals once he picks the ball up in front of the CBs before they split.

No coincidence that all of these improvements; Shelvey, Willock, Joelinton, some of our CBs and our general play have all improved under Howe.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 hours ago, Palestoon said:

I liked this quote from Shelvey.

"This city and this football club need us to stay in the Premier League so they can progress in the summer and beyond those years. We want to do that, and we want to be a part of that, so we're not going to just toss it off and say, 'we'll let them get relegated, it don't matter, they're going to get rid of us anyway'. That ain't the process."

He’s always seemed like a genuine lad, just limited physically and tended to have problems with focus. He was also maybe sacked off a bit too early by some managers, albeit for understandable reasons. 

Not sure how long he’ll last, but fair play for the work he’s put in since Howe arrived. Assumed it would be the end for him. 

FWIW the love Bruce gave him seems like it was the wrong kind, and he also needs someone to work him hard but fair to get him to perform. 

1 hour ago, McDog said:

"This city and this football club need us to stay in the Premier League so they can progress in the summer and beyond those years. We want to do that, and we want to be a part of that, so we're not going to just toss it off and say, 'we'll let them get relegated, it don't matter, they're going to get rid of us anyway'. That ain't the process."

Quite a big thing to come out with that like, :notbad:

This time last year (might've been around April) we had videos by the club asking him why he was so lazy [emoji38] 

Happy though that things have changed, himself and other things that helps give him a different perception to one not so long ago. Just another quote I read from that feature on the site

To be fair to him, everytime i've heard him speak, he seems genuine, honest and self-aware. I think his biggest issue is that he doesnt seem much of a self-starter and gets way too comfortable. I dont think its a coincidence that his best spells at the club have been under managers who have demanded more from (Benitez and Howe).

Regardless, he will probably still play some part in the clubs future in the short term, lets hope he can continue putting in solid performances 

3 hours ago, McDog said:

That doesn't come from nowhere, I get the feeling a few of our squad did think that at first, possibly including him.

Met him at Whitley Park one afternoon a few years ago when I had a walk along to watch an U23 game. I was with the bairn at the time and not only was he happy to have his photo taken with him but spent another couple of minutes just having a chat with him as well. Really made his day! Came across as a very nice bloke.

21 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

That doesn't come from nowhere, I get the feeling a few of our squad did think that at first, possibly including him.

He said in 2016 there were players who didn’t care if they got relegated. Sounds like Howe has some proper team spirit going.

On 14/02/2022 at 05:38, David Edgar said:

He didn't spend all game holding the CBs hands asking for a 1 yard pass.  Howe must have drilled that out of him. 

yeah this has been so important. it means we now have an actual presence in midfield. gone are the days of hayden trying to do the job of 3 players (badly).

He’s been one of our best performers lately, seems like one of the core groups of lads around the dressing room as well. He used to infuriate me at times under Bruce but remembering how he played for Rafa and since Howe came in it shows that he needs to be under a decent manager to have the best brought out of him, think he’s got a big role to play here for the next few seasons.

I think he’s somewhat redundant given we have a back four who are no longer scared of the ball. He may have improved defensively but I wouldn’t exactly call him a good defensive player. 

I think the issue is, in order to get Bruno starting we have to change shape and the gaffs rightfully isn’t keen on doing so.