Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

5 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

I'm gonna say it. I don't hate Shelvey and I think he gets way too much shit from fans.

He can barely last 90 minutes and he struggles to keep up with play. Somehow managed to avoid being sent off against Everton for a ridiculous foul committed because he was too slow.

His legs’ll only be worse in 12 months’ time, never mind 24 or 36.

32 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

I'm gonna say it. I don't hate Shelvey and I think he gets way too much shit from fans.

Then you must have a very short memory, because beyond the ~12 or so good games he's strung together under Howe, you probably would do well to count another 12 good ones at the top level since he signed in early 2016.

He's contributing well at the moment but the unfit, slouching pointless-long-ping merchant who loves a lunge and a red card is still burnt into my memory. Now we have the ability to go and get someone who still ticks the box marked "range of passing" but who can also run, get about, tackle, win headers and score more regularly, he should be out of the team come the summer and hopefully sold soon after whilst his stock is still high.

I think Howe's done well to bomb out some of the other knackers more urgently (Clark, Ritchie, Gayle in particular) but I'd like to think upgrading Shelvey is near the top of the list come the summer.

39 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

This happened the last time, had a run of a few decent games and was awarded with a new contract then before the ink was dry he was back to sub-standard performances. But that was Steve Bruce.

Slight difference now .. we can go spend 35m on a replacement 

Hes been one of most consistent performers under Howe, personally I dont take into account in how he played under the fucking useless Bruce so for me hes well on his way to earning a new contract

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

I don’t hate him getting an extension. That’s assuming we buy someone who can also play in that position. We need a proper holding player or one that can perform a similar role to him. 

He's not a proper holding midfielder in the first place.

His contribution the other day wasn't that remarkable, there weren't many key incidents he came out on top of,and he didn't deliver much in forward passing. Once Bruno gets the shout,if he's as good as he looks there's no way back into that midfield 3,bar injuries

We need 6 central midfielders if we are to play 433.

Joelinton 

Willock

Bruno

Shelvey

X2 new signings

Makes sense to me. Even with an oil well, we won't be signing 11 players. Besides which, we could still sell him if the correct fee comes in.