Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just want to know who's going to play where. Both Ritchie and Townsend are incredibly more effective on the right - we've seen it at our club, and it has been true of Townsend this season at Palace.

It's all very well to say that "Townsend on the left is better than Gouffran or Ameobi" - very true, but he's simply not very good there. Ritchie isn't great on the left either.

Personally, I quite like the idea of Townsend on the right and Ritchie at #10, still leaving the problem of who is on the left, of course...

There are folk seriously against us signing Townsend? :lol:

I don't think anyone doubts the extra quality he'd bring to the side, I think it's more of a 'he jumped ship for a Pardew led Palace, fuck him' thing.  I'd have him back in a second, like.

Only thing bothering me about it is the quote in the paper saying that Townsend himself is the one who wants the loan only because we're not certain to be Premier League next season.

Obviously it's just speculation with no substantial quotes or anything, but while the possibility of it being true is still there it'll get to me :lol:  and to be honest with the way he left, it seems more likely that it is true than not to me.  Dont want or need that type of player at Newcastle

I don't think anyone doubts the extra quality he'd bring to the side, I think it's more of a 'he jumped ship for a Pardew led Palace, f*** him' thing.  I'd have him back in a second, like.

Only thing bothering me about it is the quote in the paper saying that Townsend himself is the one who wants the loan only because we're not certain to be Premier League next season.

Obviously it's just speculation with no substantial quotes or anything, but while the possibility of it being true is still there it'll get to me :lol:  and to be honest with the way he left, it seems more likely that it is true than not to me.  Dont want or need that type of player at Newcastle

He's just covering his bases, it doesn't bother me really. Him coming back to the club less than six months after he left in the first place is an admission he got it wrong.

I don't think anyone doubts the extra quality he'd bring to the side, I think it's more of a 'he jumped ship for a Pardew led Palace, f*** him' thing.  I'd have him back in a second, like.

The thing is, as it turns out when he joined us last time, he had the relegation clause put in incase we did go down. That didn't stop him playing well in those 5 months, or to be any less committed to the team/cause.

Therefore I don't see it being any different this time. Whether he joins on loan or permanent, I don't think it'll affect his performances for us. And, touch wood, everything will work out fine by the summer anyway, for everyone.

The thing is, as it turns out when he joined us last time, he had the relegation clause put in incase we did go down. That didn't stop him playing well in those 5 months, or to be any less committed to the team/cause.

Therefore I don't see it being any different this time. Whether he joins on loan or permanent, I don't think it'll affect his performances for us. And, touch wood, everything will work out fine by the summer anyway, for everyone.

I really don't care if it is him wanting the loan deal to be honest. He WILL improve us and help us get promoted and that is the main thing.

I can semi-understand the Pardew stuff.

But some are suggesting we could easily do better in the summer. We are not going to sign 2 wide players better than the lad in the summer.

Why? He's got 27 goals in 240 senior appearances. There are plenty of players that contribute a lot more in terms of assists, goals and who do an awful lot more for their team's attacking dimension than Townsend. He's decent on the ball when the game is shaped in a way that suits him. He's easily shut down by competent opposition managers, he enjoyed a short, purple patch under Rafa this spring but has failed to show that sort of form during the remainder of his career.

Add to that the fact he went to play for the idiot at Palace, and I really don't see what's laughable about wanting better in the summer rather than enjoy him bullying poor full backs in this league for three months.

So he's insisting on a loan? That is fantastic news, as that works in our favour.

We can insert the complete in summer clause, so what's the big deal. He's honestly doing us a favour in fact. Probably forcing Palace's hand because we asked him to!

So he's insisting on a loan? That is fantastic news, as that works in our favour.

We can insert the complete in summer clause, so what's the big deal. He's honestly doing us a favour in fact. Probably forcing Palace's hand because we asked him to!

They also still owe an outstanding payment, so the loan is kind of no expense. And we would just give the remaining cash at the end of loan should we wish to buy him back.

Or just move onto another target.

I was against it at first but this does not seem to bad a deal.

Guaranteed to be a deadline day linger on

Guest Howaythetoon

The prick couldn't wait to jump ship despite us revitalising his career and who had a manager in Rafa who had absolute faith in him. Sorry but I want players at the club who want to be here, who aren't all about themselves. I'd have real trouble accepting him back into the team if I were one of the relegated players who didn't leave as well if it were me. Again he can fuck off.

I just want to know who's going to play where. Both Ritchie and Townsend are incredibly more effective on the right - we've seen it at our club, and it has been true of Townsend this season at Palace.

It's all very well to say that "Townsend on the left is better than Gouffran or Ameobi" - very true, but he's simply not very good there. Ritchie isn't great on the left either.

Personally, I quite like the idea of Townsend on the right and Ritchie at #10, still leaving the problem of who is on the left, of course...

Townsend himself says he is capable of playing on either side:

"I can play either side. I came through the ranks as a left winger, and it was only when Andre Villas-Boas came in that I switched to the right. Now I prefer playing on the right, but I think I’m equally effective on the left.

When I play on the right I can go both ways – I can cut inside and have a shot with my left foot, or go down the line and put a cross in with my right foot. It just makes me a bit more unpredictable."

The prick couldn't wait to jump ship despite us revitalising his career and who had a manager in Rafa who had absolute faith in him. Sorry but I want players at the club who want to be here, who aren't all about themselves. I'd have real trouble accepting him back into the team if I were one of the relegated players who didn't leave as well if it were me. Again he can fuck off.

This is sort of where I stand too.

I didn't rate him at all before we signed him, but he did alright for us and scored a decent free kick against Palace which is probably what ignited their interest in him.

I'm not really struck on him returning, I'd rather see him get relegated with Palace.

He'll have to do some serious grovelling if he's to come back, you can say it's just words and whatnot but I do think he was in two minds about whether to stay, and if he has now realised he's made a mistake and wants to come back, when he could probably secure a move to another lower premier league team, I'd be happy for him to return.

Not to mention he'd improve us drastically...

Every time a winger gets a few goals, somebody somewhere suggests him in a central role even when he blatantly doesn't suit it. This is a good example of that.

We should use him as a stepping stone in the same way he used us. Use him for a couple of seasons (he's Premiership proven, decent,  will probably hold his value if not increase it)  then hopefully if we've consolidated our presence in the Premiership we can get someone better than him and immediately bench/sell him. Everyone wins.