sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Took them two years after the 19 point season. Different league now though.

Just checked. They finished 3rd the season after they went down on 19 points and they won the league the season after they were relegated with 15 points, despite them starting that season with Niall Quinn as their manager. It was a poor league then and it's a poor league now tbh.

I realise it all depends on what happens with their squad, but if I was a Sunderland fan I would be very worried about the future of SAFC.

I really don't see them being one of the best teams in the Chamiponship, yet like us, they will be a real scalp for the other teams. Norwich finished 8th (10 points below play-offs), Villa 13th (18 points below play-offs). Norwich achieved 34 pts (2015-16 PL), Villa 17pts. Sunderland currently on 24 with two to play. I'll guess at an 11th place finish for them next season; and that feels generous (though maybe bias kicking in!).

I realise it all depends on what happens with their squad, but if I was a Sunderland fan I would be very worried about the future of SAFC.

I really don't see them being one of the best teams in the Chamiponship, yet like us, they will be a real scalp for the other teams. Norwich finished 8th (10 points below play-offs), Villa 13th (18 points below play-offs). Norwich achieved 34 pts (2015-16 PL), Villa 17pts. Sunderland currently on 24 with two to play. I'll guess at an 11th place finish for them next season; and that feels generous (though maybe bias kicking in!).

I honestly don't think the championship will be as competitive next season. Villa are in a financial mess right now, Norwich will start to lose some of their better players. The other teams that went down with  the Mackems are not it great shape themselves with doubts over their management and to be frank pretty weak squads. For the teams that get knocked out of the playoffs, they all have good young managers, who could move on to better things,I'm sure at least one or two of them will. Leeds and Derby could challenge but have crazy bad ownership so no clue where they will be.

If they play the loan market well, like Huddersfield did this year, get in a couple of players way too good for that division, they could easily challenge. I agree with you though, they are going to be a big scalp down there but they'll not be everyone's cup final like we were unless they can pack out there stadium of shite every week, which of course they will not.

The biggest obstacle for them is to turn around this culture of losing, remove this negative atmosphere around the club. The big thing that worked in our favour this year was this feeling of unity that Rafa brought and the hope that although we were in a bad place there was better things on the horizon.

If you describe Villa as being in a "financial mess", what would that make the mackems? :lol:

For people to compare the mackems bouncing back after their previous relegations is just a pointless comparison too. That was 11+ years ago and there is literally nothing comparable to the current situation.

There is a very good reason that only 6 of the previous 30 clubs relegated from the PL have bounced back at the first attempt.

One year ago today........karma is beautiful!

d185f988e5cf1b8401b6c82aff238e05.jpg

What a lovely gesture!

I assume that's them setting off for the Arsenal game tonight and showing solidarity for north east football and it's only successful manager.

They're nowhere near as bad as some people make them out to be.

If you describe Villa as being in a "financial mess", what would that make the mackems? :lol:

For people to compare the mackems bouncing back after their previous relegations is just a pointless comparison too. That was 11+ years ago and there is literally nothing comparable to the current situation.

There is a very good reason that only 6 of the previous 30 clubs relegated from the PL have bounced back at the first attempt.

Dunno what the FFP situation is with the Mackems, but the extra year down in the champ is going to kill Villa I feel, it was reported yesterday that their transfer budget for next season is 1 Million !

They will get some money back on player sales and they will have benefited greatly from the bumper new TV deal, that Villa missed out on. Will they re-invest that in an attempt to do what we did and bounce right back or worry what happened to Villa. They can probably target more our net spend last year of plus 30 million than the Villa's negative 40 million or whatever it was.

They've got a lot of work to do for sure but people writing them off as no hopers next year are wishful thinking at this stage. If for example they do sack Moyes, Huddersfield or Fulham fail to make it in the  playoffs, they target one of those managers and get them, they will be in a much stronger position. Moyes himself had a pretty impressive record at PNE (although he never got out of the Champ).

Villa will get their parachute payments, which will keep them financially safe, even if they can't spend.

We only spent money because we sold a couple of players and the fat man gave us a few quid (he says). Sunderland have neither of those options and won't receive a dime of their parachute payments until next season and by then the damage will be done.

Is there an "our fans" thread yet?

Looks about 600 of them bothered to follow them. Pretty pathetic considering that, like us, they'll have lots of fans exiled in London. They'll be scraping the barrel if they start the back patting today.

He's been good like. Looks a great shot stopper and decision making has been good. His distribution which I have heard most about has been bang average tonight like. Mind you it's probably cause Sunderland players barely generate a yard of space. He has fuck all in front of him. Really good keeper but the most they will get for him will be about 20million. Wouldn't surprise me if he went to somewhere like Liverpool or Everton.