Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hypothetically, if we went into the season with the exact same squad I'd have some pretty substantial fears about our chances of promotion. Because too many of the players don't care enough.

We need history to repeat itself. Not necessarily a battering in a friendly against Leyton Orient; but a cohort of leaders who rub off on everyone else. By all accounts, Nolan/Smith/Harper/etc grabbing the dressing room by the scruff of the neck in pre-season was a massive reason for why we shot straight back up. I honestly don't know who our equivalents are this time and that's what concerns me about retaining the majority of the squad.

Hypothetically, if we went into the season with the exact same squad I'd have some pretty substantial fears about our chances of promotion. Because too many of the players don't care enough.

We need history to repeat itself. Not necessarily a battering in a friendly against Leyton Orient; but a cohort of leaders who rub off on everyone else. By all accounts, Nolan/Smith/Harper/etc grabbing the dressing room by the scruff of the neck in pre-season was a massive reason for why we shot straight back up. I honestly don't know who our equivalents are this time and that's what concerns me about retaining the majority of the squad.

I've mentioned similar before and as yet we dont have a leader on the pitch. Lascalles stood up a bit towards the end of  the season but we need more .

Aguero is unarguable an amazing player though, obviously he'd obliterate that league :lol:

There's players who just work in the Championship though and experience in the league definitely helps. If we want to play it safe we'd be best off going for a 'Championship striker' than risking Perez, Mitrovic, Armstrong and some other unknown entity, we have little idea how they'll turn out.

It was an admittedly stupid and extreme example, but I just can't understand this apparent concept that we should be looking to employ a manager and players that AREN'T good enough to be at the highest level. Doesn't make any sense to me.

If it was a choice between a striker like McCormack and a relative "unknown" from abroad, someone like Mitrovic for example, you can surely see the worth in choosing McCormack over player X? Don't have to think it's the best course of action, I'm not sure it is, to entertain the possibility but it makes sense; you know you're going to get goals in this league.

Last time we looked hopeless right to the last game of the season, we went down with a pathetic whimper.  That wasn't the case this time, we went unbeaten in six and were joint second of the form table.  We don't need a special intervention to galvanise us this time around, because we've got a manager who's already shown he can get everyone pushing in the same direction.

Last time we looked hopeless right to the last game of the season, we went down with a pathetic whimper.  That wasn't the case this time, we went unbeaten in six and were joint second of the form table.  We don't need a special intervention to galvanise us this time around, because we've got a manager who's already shown he can get everyone pushing in the same direction.

Spot on. 

I think Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Tiote and one or two other so called 'big names', will leave.  But if we replace them with even half decent players and keep the rest of the squad together.  I'd be fairly confident in going back up at the first time of asking.

Rafa

:laugh: Sure, but let's not forget that the reason for why we're so happy with Rafa is because of the scale of the job to do. There's no guarantees at all right now, the squad has been a bag of shite for 90% of the season gone. Players either disinterested, injured or simply not fit for purpose.

I'm confident of gaining promotion but not certain.

:laugh: Sure, but let's not forget that the reason for why we're so happy with Rafa is because of the scale of the job to do. There's no guarantees at all right now, the squad has been a bag of shite for 90% of the season gone. Players either disinterested, injured or simply not fit for purpose.

Similar feelings.

:laugh: Sure, but let's not forget that the reason for why we're so happy with Rafa is because of the scale of the job to do. There's no guarantees at all right now, the squad has been a bag of s**** for 90% of the season gone. Players either disinterested, injured or simply not fit for purpose.

In the Premier League mind, the championship is hot garbage. Also we ended the season on a 6 game unbeaten run under Rafa, we wouldn't even be here if Rafa was appointed one or two games earlier.

What happened before Rafa is completely and utterly irrelevant, we'll stroll it as long as the good players we do have are actually replaced if sold. Which I see no reason why they wouldn't be, if they aren't then Rafa will leave anyway. :lol:

Aguero is unarguable an amazing player though, obviously he'd obliterate that league :lol:

There's players who just work in the Championship though and experience in the league definitely helps. If we want to play it safe we'd be best off going for a 'Championship striker' than risking Perez, Mitrovic, Armstrong and some other unknown entity, we have little idea how they'll turn out.

It was an admittedly stupid and extreme example, but I just can't understand this apparent concept that we should be looking to employ a manager and players that AREN'T good enough to be at the highest level. Doesn't make any sense to me.

That wasn't the point I was making though, I think it would be a risk to go into next season assuming that Perez and Mitrovic will bang in goals for fun in the championship. I said the same thing at the start of last season and the risk came back and bit us on the arse.

Horses for courses: Peacock and Kelly.

great times, think I still have a poster of that team somewhere, don't think Kelly got promoted with us, did he not stay in the championship whereas Peacock went onwards and upwards with us, someone will correct me no doubt.

Kelly and peacock were both in the team and were instrumental in getting us promoted. Kelly was sold to Wolves and didn't play for us in the PL and Peacock wanted to go to back home to London as his kid was born with a disability and he wanted to be close to his family which is a shame on a few fronts as I reckon he really could've been a good player for us in the PL, he was very underrated by other people.

That wasn't the point I was making though, I think it would be a risk to go into next season assuming that Perez and Mitrovic will bang in goals for fun in the championship. I said the same thing at the start of last season and the risk came back and bit us on the arse.

It was obviously a risk in the Premier League, not so much in the Championship.  No harm in going for a proven scorer to add to our options of course, but I'd be very confident of Mitrovic and Perez being more than good enough as a front pairing in this league.

It was obviously a risk in the Premier League, not so much in the Championship.  No harm in going for a proven scorer to add to our options of course, but I'd be very confident of Mitrovic and Perez being more than good enough as a front pairing in this league.

I agree they will more than likely do well in the championship, but I still have my doubts either of them are going to be scoring 20 goals a season. In any case a pacy forward would be a nice addition to the squad and give us some options. A pacy forward that scores goals that is, not another Riviere.

We need at least three good strikers though, so a signing is needed if Cisse is going.

Will Grigg and someone on loan.

Two players with the same song would be problematic though.