Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"All I say is, there is a bank account, when you have emptied it, it’s empty, don’t come crying to me for more money.”

Unless I'm missing something, the only way we could go out and spend money we don't yet have in the bank is if Ashley loaned the club more.

Obviously I think he should given the circumstances, but the club itself likely doesn't have the capital to do what we want them to do.

Trouble is i don't particularly believe him :lol: maybe i'm naive though.

It's absolutely f***ing ridiculous that we're raising money first like.

Buy the players and then try and rake some back with sales if we can, if we can't then just take the £20m or so off our next budget.

We NEED to sell because we've got far too many players...far more than you can register. No club in the country would continue buying players without shifting their deadwood. We are no different in that respect.

We are very different in other respects like, but shifting players on before we bloat the squad even more is massively important.

:lol: so naive man.

How many players do Chelsea have, about 40 thousand or something int it? Loan shite like Haidara out and pay half of their wages if we have to.

How is that naïve? It's absolutely right, and probably the reason Rafa isn't kicking off. He knows the squad needs to be trimmed. It's easy enough to say we should be doing these deals as favours to other clubs, but if there's interest there for a permanent deal, then why not explore that option?

The squad needs to be trimmed, it also desperately needs another 4 or 5 players of Premiership quality. I'll let you decide which is more important.

I actually think Everton are in the position right now where they've bought and need to offload. Sure they've got the Lukaku money but bringing in Rooney on what is no doubt silly money means they need to shift Barkley but I can imagine Spurs etc are looking at what he wants wage wise and saying no.

Similar with McCarthy who I believe they want £25M for. None of the bottom half will touch that and I suspect that's why they can't go get Sigurdsson now in case they are left with him.

"All I say is, there is a bank account, when you have emptied it, it’s empty, don’t come crying to me for more money.”

Unless I'm missing something, the only way we could go out and spend money we don't yet have in the bank is if Ashley loaned the club more.

Obviously I think he should given the circumstances, but the club itself likely doesn't have the capital to do what we want them to do.

Even if it's 100% correct him loaning us the money to improve the squad makes far more sense than going into a season short. You can make up £20m in football piss easy if you're not fucking about.

Buy the players and then try and rake some back with sales if we can, if we can't then just take the £20m or so off our next budget.

We NEED to sell because we've got far too many players...far more than you can register. No club in the country would continue buying players without shifting their deadwood. We are no different in that respect.

We are very different in other respects like, but shifting players on before we bloat the squad even more is massively important.

How many players do Chelsea have, about 40 thousand or something int it? Loan shite like Haidara out and pay half of their wages if we have to.

How is that naïve? It's absolutely right, and probably the reason Rafa isn't kicking off. He knows the squad needs to be trimmed. It's easy enough to say we should be doing these deals as favours to other clubs, but if there's interest there for a permanent deal, then why not explore that option?

The squad needs to be trimmed, it also desperately needs another 4 or 5 players of Premiership quality. I'll let you decide which is more important.

Well that certainly strikes me as the more naïve perspective on managing the squad. I think it's obvious that Rafa is of the more sensible opinion.

How many players do Chelsea have, about 40 thousand or something int it? Loan s**** like Haidara out and pay half of their wages if we have to.

Totally agree with this - find it amazing that all of Ashley's gambles with NUFC take the form of not spending any money and just hoping for the best.  Obviously no-one is sure of the exact financials (although I fail to see how there can't be any money available - whether it's actual cash or borrowing against guaranteed future income), but the long term benefit of spending an extra £20-35m now and bringing in 2-3 good players could make a huge difference.

It's just too risky not to spend and potentially become a yo-yo club.

Even if it's 100% correct him loaning us the money to improve the squad makes far more sense than going into a season short. You can make up £20m in football p*ss easy if you're not f***ing about.

Oh 100%, thing is and i'm talking out of my arse here but i genuinely don't believe that's even necessary.

Well that certainly strikes me as the more naïve perspective on managing the squad. I think it's obvious that Rafa is of the more sensible opinion.

I doubt Rafa is of the opinion that shite players we have no intention of playing but cannot easily get rid of should be standing in the way of him building an actual squad capable of challenging in the Premiership like.

We're probably making a decent loss on Haidara and co, we have to just accept it. Risking a relegation scrap in fear of going into the red just seems utterly moronic to me.

You think it's Rafa's choice? You think he'd rather be relegated than deal with a bloated squad?

We are not like the rest of the Premiership clubs outside the top 6. We have a squad woefully under equipped for playing Premiership football. Simply saying 'well we haven't shifted our dead wood' doesn't cut it. Spend, make sure the squad is competitive then worry about balancing the books (which will happen the longer we stay in the magic money tree of the Premier League and it's TV deals).

At this point why do people think Ashley will spend to secure Premier League football? Past mistakes have shown he won't spend to secure his investment which leaves two conclusions. Either he doesn't care or refuses to learn from his mistakes. Same outcome regardless really.

At this point why do people think Ashley will spend to secure Premier League football? Past mistakes have shown he won't spend to secure his investment which leaves two conclusions. Either he doesn't care or refuses to learn from his mistakes. Same outcome regardless really.

I don't fwiw, history tells us he refuses to do this among other things and we get relegated within half a decade. I'm arguing that his method is stupid and in no means necessarily like some would have you believe.

Or we could go get a credit facility or a bank loan and sign some fucking players and immediately use TV money that comes in monthly to pay that down. Or we could get money from Fat Mike and pay him back immediately.

Charnley and co need to get creative, the money stream is very much there, it's not rocket science and it's likely very easy to service with the gtd cash coming in.

Really think the club needs to maybe abandon hope of selling some of these players while they have a long time left on contracts and send them out on long term loan, share the wage bill with the other club and free up some wages that way.

FWIW I totally get the whole sell to buy and in theory it should've been fine. We've already bought quality on a budget and i've no doubt Rafa could've done the same to fill the other positions we need.

The problem is no one anticipated just how little demand there is for our dead wood. They could all do a job at a certain level but are they worth other teams breaking their salary ceilings for? I doubt it.

So we're either left short of quality until at least the January transfer window or, God forbid we adjust the strategy. This is the part that really pisses me off because in every business strategy there is always room for flexibility or a slight change of direction when things don't go to plan. But not, it seems when it comes to Newcastle United. Basically if you can't shift the shit, you play with what you've got regardless of whether that risks another costly relegation. It's not just stubborn and reckless, it's completely stupid.  We're talking about one of this country's best business men apparently.

Who knows, maybe in a couple of weeks Mike will recognise the seriousness of the situation and bolster the transfer kitty, but history suggests otherwise. For now Rafa is stuck trying to undo mistakes that aren't of his own making.

Or we could go get a credit facility or a bank loan and sign some f***ing players and immediately use TV money that comes in monthly to pay that down. Or we could get money from Fat Mike and pay him back immediately.

Charnley and co need to get creative, the money stream is very much there, it's not rocket science and it's likely very easy to service with the gtd cash coming in.

Agree - it really isn't difficult - they have a guaranteed income stream.  This can easily be offered as security (if it isn't already) against borrowing more money.  The idea that we need money in our account before doing business is ridiculous.

Most of the talk in here seems to revolve around we can't buy before we sell, and based on this, offering financial advice about how we could  :lol: Does anyone know that the former is definitely the case? And anyone really think the club aren't savvy when it comes to finance arrangements? Surely it boils down to whether they (LC/DoF-type Gadgie/Rafa) have the will to pursue and stretch to get the right players. We all believe Rafa does and most mistrust (understandably) everyone else.

I prefer to believe that they are holding out until close to the window closing to go a couple or three big signings who are overpriced/aren't affordable at the moment. Don't have much evidence for this (other than D.Murphy being let go and GK rumours), but why let evidence get in the way of a good speculate? Striker, AM/no10, GK and maybe a left sided WB/FB. Ok, 4 so I am having an optimism-rush, probs equally unlikely, but a reaction to some of  the pessimism in here.

Most of the talk in here seems to revolve around we can't buy before we sell, and based on this, offering financial advice about how we could  :lol: Does anyone know that the former is definitely the case? And anyone really think the club aren't savvy when it comes to finance arrangements? Surely it boils down to whether they (LC/DoF-type Gadgie/Rafa) have the will to pursue and stretch to get the right players. We all believe Rafa does and most mistrust (understandably) everyone else.

I prefer to believe that they are holding out until close to the window closing to go a couple or three big signings who are overpriced/aren't affordable at the moment. Don't have much evidence for this (other than D.Murphy being let go and GK rumours), but why let evidence get in the way of a good speculate? Striker, AM/no10, GK and maybe a left sided WB/FB. Ok, 4 so I am having an optimism-rush, probs equally unlikely, but a reaction to some of  the pessimism in here.

How many seasons have we had now where we've all been waiting until the last minute to sign players? It just never happens. It's not being pessimistic when we have plenty of evidence to back it up.

Nothing's changed, other than we have a world class manager.

Very good article which I feel sums up a situation I've been expecting for a few seasons. Finally we are approaching that transfer market stand-off where wages at clubs have gotten so silly that clubs can't get rid of the deadwood because the players are refusing to take pay cuts in order to play football. If I was a Riviere or a Haidara and getting silly money here then I can't say I would be keen to abandon that to go elsewhere. Certainly not given the form and fitness record of those two. They may as well run down their contracts, take their money and then take their chances of someone picking them up on the free when their contract expires.

Dump them in the reserves. Make them play against kids in front of a handful of fans. They're allowed to collect that paycheck, but that doesn't mean they're allowed first team football. Doesn't directly solve our problem, as we've still got them on the books, but maybe it'd force their hand.

Most of the talk in here is reacting directly to a Mark Douglas article from today where he specifically says we're having to be creative about how we structure deals, mainly because we haven't been able to sell some of the players we thought we would have by now to boost the budget to be able to afford outright deals of significant value.

Now naturally the article itself could be bollocks, but that's why people are discussing the implication and wondering about ways we could get around it.

Truth is nobody knows what the precise financial situation is at NUFC right now, but the evidence is currently pointing towards us not having that much in the bank versus us having the £70-100m that was suggested after promotion was secured.

If we don't have the cash now, we could of course just buy players on installments like many other clubs. You don't have to buy absolutely everyone with cash up front.

fwiw, if Haidara on 22k a week is typical of the deadwood, 6M a year from Spurs would cover five of them's wages. Or quite possibly the percentage of all of the deadwood wages we'd have to cover to get someone else to take them off us.