Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Like the note from Mark Douglas saying Rafa thinks he's raw enough to be developed into a potentially prolific goal scorer in the PL.

He's got a point actually, he's been left to fester for the last couple of years under the dancing fool. I could just see Rafa really honing him into a top striker.

Really excited for this signing.

It's going to make a big difference having somebody with pace up front who can create space for others with his pace. We've really missed that.

It's going to make a big difference having somebody with pace up front who can create space for others with his pace. We've really missed that.

:thup:

Hoping we see him partnered upfront with someone (Mitro). Could be a very effective partnership.

Hoping we see him partnered upfront with someone (Mitro). Could be a very effective partnership.

Even having somebody as intelligent as De Jong behind him will be good to watch.

Even having somebody as intelligent as De Jong behind him will be good to watch.

I'd be surprised if De Jong is still here but I know where you're coming from. Either way it's good that we'll have the potential to be pretty fluid in formation and personnel. Going to be an interesting season ahead seeing how we line up.

Gayle said: “He’s been a legend in the Premier League and abroad too, to be playing under him is a dream come true.

“It’s a massive thing for me to be playing for a manager like this.

“Only six or seven months ago he was managing Real Madrid with some of the greatest players.

“For him to ask me to come to the club was a dream come true.

“Andros Townsend said that he was great to play under and I can’t wait to get started.”

“I scored here so now to play in front of 50,000 every week will be a great experience for me.

“They have already sold a ridiculous amount of season tickets so I am looking forward to starting the season well.

“It’s not too nice when 50,000 are against you but hopefully I can work hard and get the goals.”

Although, he knows there is a tough battle ahead for Newcastle this season.

He went on: “People will have us as favourites but that also brings a difficulty as teams will come here and try their hardest.

“It’s everybody’s cup final and playing in front of 50,000 will be difficult so we have to be ready.

“There’s a great history at Newcastle - I’m looking forward to getting this club back in the Premier League and proving a few people wrong.

“There’s expectation, but under the manager here I believe he can help me to perform.

“I didn’t get as much game time as I wanted at Crystal Palace.

“Perhaps I have taken a step down divisions to prove to myself that I can still do it. Hopefully, I can do that.”

Gayle will come in as a striker at United but knows he may have to be used out wide from time to time.

He said: “The manager told me I could play in either role as a striker or on the wing.

“He just wants me to stretch defences and run in behind, and get goals that will push us up the division next season. I prefer the striker role though.”

Found his comments really interesting. In that even if he is played on the wing, Rafa has asked him to focus on getting in behind and looking to score goals.

When he was used out wide at Palace it didn't really work great, because he was asked to play as a more conventional wide man i.e. staying wide. Good to see that Rafa has already made it clear that even if he is wide, he will still be asked to get in behind and stretch the defence, as well as look to score from that position, similar to the way Theo does at Arsenal I'd imagine, which would be very useful. Good stuff.

It was always on the cards that Rafa would want a player to offer something similar to what Torres did at Liverpool. With Mitro and the poor man's Grieznamm Ayoze, we have got some really good strike options.

Even though Rafa will know what he's doing I'm always worried by these comments about playing strikers out wide. People like Theo Walcott fine, but Gayle strikes me more as someone who makes little darting runs between defenders in and around the box. Not sure what point I'm trying to make but I think managers sometimes try to have their cake and eat it by playing one up front but shoehorning more strikers in elsewhere.