Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Gayle looked OK because we played 2 up...... how many other times will that happen ?

Yet Joselu looked like Joselu. This 2 up top argument is odd, 4-5-1 works and has always worked. It isn't without it's own issues but it's hardly a formation that automatically makes your strikers shite. Gayle looked OK because he knows how to play as a number 9.

Thought Gayle did well overall, linked up well.  Should have made more of a couple of chances and of course did score a perfectly good goal.  Also might have had a chance to score again if he wasn't blatantly pushed over when almost clear on goal at the end (another amazing refereeing decision).

I thought I was the only person that saw that push.....  it was ridiculous and right in the line of the assistant ref yet not deemed to be a foul????

I also thought that Gayle needs to sort his hair out, not sure what he was thinking about when he ran his comb through it and produced that mess before game....  :-)

Good sign if he's anywhere near back up to speed really. Shelvey feeding Gayle is still by far our best chance of getting enough goals.

Plus he's got the poacher's instinct, as the goal which was ruled offside shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope we stick with him and Joselu as a pair, thought the link up and movement between them was really good first half and we saw not only a great finish from Gayle but a real desire to score more based on the way he bollocked others for not playing him in on a couple of occasions. Promising.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hope we stick with him and Joselu as a pair, thought the link up and movement between them was really good first half and we saw not only a great finish from Gayle but a real desire to score more based on the way he bollocked others for not playing him in on a couple of occasions. Promising.

Agreed. Enjoyed both their performances yesterday. Gayle was very direct and a real threat, his finish was superb and he actually backed into his man and held the ball up well. I'm not sure on Joselu as he's bang average for me, but as a partnership its better than either starting alone. Rafa clearly doesn't trust Mitrovic so that's a none starter!

I liked how in that first half anything that went into Man Utd's half, they really tried to make something of it with reasonable success. Usually starting with Joselu finding Gayle before support arrived. They were a problem for a decent team, so I'd start them both in the same positions next time out. Bringing Mitrovic on for Joselu earlier than yesterday if we haven't scored or need another one.

Not only was he getting onto the end of flick ons himself, but he was also winning the ball and holding it up for others. He looked to be the complete forward yesterday and very much what he like for us in the Championship.

If jay is him with his injury problems behind him, then he needs to be first choice.