Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It truly was and you've gotta respect Ian in a way, actually. He defended Pardew relentlessly against all comers but the second he suggested Hatem should drop a few pounds.....well Ian wasn't tolerating abuse like that.

Am i the only one worried with the games coming up? We have 8 straight hard games coming up unless we score a shitload winning by a narrow margin isn't in us like Brighton,reading or leeds  :rant: Even Derby was lucky and 4 of those's games are on sky we are shit on tv

Am i the only one worried with the games coming up? We have 8 straight hard games coming up unless we score a shitload winning by a narrow margin isn't in us like Brighton,reading or leeds  :rant: Even Derby was lucky and 4 of those's games are on sky we are shit on tv

You mean like when we won 1-0 against an in form Derby side just this past weekend?

with a  deflected winner and a header cleared off the line in the dieing minutes?  We switch off with slim leads

Okay then, this season we have beat the following by a one goal margin:

Bristol City (1-0)

Norwich (4-3)

Rotherham (1-0)

Preston (2-1)

Cardiff (2-1)

Burton (2-1)

Brentford (2-1)

Derby (1-0)

Thats 2/5 of our 20 wins this season that have been by a narrow margin.

with a  deflected winner and a header cleared off the line in the dieing minutes?  We switch off with slim leads

Bristol City (1-0)

Norwich (4-3)

Rotherham (1-0)

Preston (2-1)

Cardiff (2-1)

Burton (2-1)

Brentford (2-1)

Derby (1-0)

Compare that to the pack chasing us? I get s*** scared with us leading a game by only 1- Villa (sky?) Norwich (narrow,sky) hull , forest (sky>) ,Blackburn (Sky) Qpr (sky) and derby (Sky)

Am i the only one worried with the games coming up? We have 8 straight hard games coming up unless we score a shitload winning by a narrow margin isn't in us like Brighton,reading or leeds  :rant: Even Derby was lucky and 4 of those's games are on sky we are s*** on tv

TBH, we've tended to fair better against the better teams, it's the poorer ones where we've struggled.

A look at the final table last year is interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/tables/9484389/Football-League-Championship-table-2015-16.html

Brighton finished on 89 points for 3rd !! And of course the lottery of the playoffs (hate the system, were a team can potentially finish 10 - 15 points behind another and go up ahead of them) saw them fail. Sheff Wed finished 6th on 74 points , to match that we need only 4 wins. Our current points total coupled with our GD would have us finishing 11th last year, in early feb. It really is ours to throw away now but 90 points is the bare minimum we need.

Here are the final goal differences of the teams promoted in the last ten seasons or so. All positive, of course.

Top 37, 53, 40, 27, 28, 39, 55, 28, 33, 29, 67

Second 32, 41, 35, 9 (79), 39, 25, 41, 17(83), 14 (79), 25, 30

The numbers in brackets are the points totals of teams with under +20 goal differences. The 55 is us last time and the 67 is Reading in the record breaking season.

The numbers show that the only teams to be promoted with low goal differences did so with low points totals, i.e., in weak years. Given the teams chasing us, Huddersfield etc. have poor GDs, history does not point to them ending up with high points totals. It means the line for for automatic promotion is probably going to be lower than the normal 90 points. If its 87, that's only 25 points to go from 17 games.

A look at the final table last year is interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/tables/9484389/Football-League-Championship-table-2015-16.html

Brighton finished on 89 points for 3rd !! And of course the lottery of the playoffs (hate the system, were a team can potentially finish 10 - 15 points behind another and go up ahead of them) saw them fail. Sheff Wed finished 6th on 74 points , to match that we need only 4 wins. Our current points total coupled with our GD would have us finishing 11th last year, in early feb. It really is ours to throw away now but 90 points is the bare minimum we need.

Only needed 2 more goals over the course of the season for Premier League football. Heartbreaking. Can you imagine the pain if that happened to us?

Bristol City (1-0)

Norwich (4-3)

Rotherham (1-0)

Preston (2-1)

Cardiff (2-1)

Burton (2-1)

Brentford (2-1)

Derby (1-0)

Compare that to the pack chasing us? I get s*** scared with us leading a game by only 1- Villa (sky?) Norwich (narrow,sky) hull , forest (sky>) ,Blackburn (Sky) Qpr (sky) and derby (Sky)

Norwich wasn't on sky but Brighton, Leeds and Derby were, and we were very good in all 3.

You mean like when we won 1-0 against an in form Derby side just this past weekend?

I think we probably underestimated just how important that win was. I only saw the second half and it wasn't good, but Derby are an in-form team challenging for the play offs after a bad start.