DeAndre Yedlin (now playing for Inter Miami)

Ameritoon

DeANDRE YEDLIN rolls up his right sleeve and talks through the tattoos on his upper arm.

Under the words “One Family” is a series of inkings dedicated to his great grandparents.

Pointing to some Hebrew writing, Yedlin, 24, said: “This was my first tattoo. I got it for them because they are Jewish.

“The plane — my great grandpa flew this kind of plane in World War Two.

“The writing which says ‘Red Skies at Night’ is the name of the illegal diary he wrote when he was in the war, which he later got published.

“His name is Irving Schaffer but I called him Poppy, so that’s why I have a poppy flower.”

Yedlin has “too many tattoos to count” — but they only begin to explain his extraordinary family history.

The Newcastle defender reveals that he has never met his dad, who is in prison for life as a persistent offender with past robbery, kidnapping and assault convictions.

He was also raised by his grandpa and step grandma in Seattle after they claimed custody from his mum, who was a teenager when she gave birth and had brushes with the law herself.

Yedlin said: “I couldn’t really tell if it was a different childhood because I was used to it, it was kind of normal to me.

“The only time I remember it felt a bit odd was when I went to other people’s houses and they were calling people ‘dad’. I wouldn’t get that.

“But my uncle, who also lived with me, was a father figure.

“I think at some point I would like to meet my dad.

“He’s in prison in the US for life, so it’s about figuring out where he is stationed and making time to see him.

“When I go back and I’m a bit older with a family and have settled down, I’ll see.

“It’s not a huge priority for me right now.”

Yedlin — who is a quarter African American, a quarter Native American and half Latvian — now has a “good relationship” with his mum and sees her when he visits the States.

But he insists he owes his career to his grandparents, who are regular visitors to his home in Newcastle.

Yedlin said: “They are probably over for four months of the year and come and stay with me.

“They have always been a part of it.

“In America you don’t just have free academies, you have to pay to play soccer and they put in a lot of money.”

Yedlin admits he was “pretty good at every sport” as a kid — including basketball, American football and even wrestling, about which he says he was “small but stronger than everybody else”.

And, not surprisingly to anyone who has seen him sprint up the wing for Newcastle, he was also a 100 metres runner at school.

But Yedlin admitted: "I knew there was no money in track and field unless you were unbelievable.

“So I stopped it when I was 13. I just really wanted to focus on soccer and with soccer training and high school, it would have been too much if I did track and field as well.”

Yedlin played college soccer at the University of Akron in Ohio.

Then after two years in the MLS with Seattle Sounders and impressing for the USA at the 2014 World Cup, the right-back was signed by Tottenham.

But he made just one sub appearance for Spurs in two years there, the second spent on loan at Sunderland.

Yedlin said: “I had Kyle Walker in front of me. I tried to pick his brain a bit, absorb what I could from him.

“I learned a lot and we became really good friends and still are. I have nothing bad to say about Mauricio Pochettino.

“He’s been great for Spurs and tactically he’s a genius.”

Having helped Sunderland stay up in 2015-16, Yedlin signed for bitter rivals Newcastle, who had just gone down.

He said: “The rivalry was definitely in my mind — ‘Is it the right thing to do?’.

"But I had to be selfish and think about what’s best for my career. Looking back, it was a great step for me.

“Obviously the chance to work with Rafa, there’s not really a better situation I could be in.

“He’s great. He takes his time with you. One-on-ones, he’ll stay out after training for another hour if you need it. He’s been one of the best managers I’ve had.

“I’m playing in the Premier League, week in, week out and as a kid you never really think you’ll be doing that.

“I think I’m one of three Americans in the Premier League, so it’s an honour to represent your country like that.”

Yedlin keeps a close eye on events back home and has strong views on US President Donald Trump.

He said: “I’m not a fan, I’ll tell you that. I’m not a fan of his policies and the things that he says and the things he’s brought to the table.

“I have friends that are over there and things are a little bit difficult for them.”

But Yedlin has enough occupying his time in England – and not just Newcastle’s survival scrap.

He lives with his English bulldog Simba, who he says is a “funny guy” who “likes to run into people”.

And he is about to launch his own fashion label, which he has called Roselle, after his middle name.

He added: “It’s actually been a goal of mine since I turned professional to launch my own line.

“And finally I got the ball rolling last summer with some people I met in LA. I’ve got the first samples in.

“After everything is created, the first step is to send it to big-name people, try and get it out there, then set up an online store and hopefully get it in some stores.

“We’ll see if the Newcastle lads will wear it… I think my style is a little bit different than all of theirs so it depends if they want to take the risk!”

• 2 weeks later...

Was expecting him to get stick in here today again.

Going to praise him for the cross instead and comment on how the amount of running up and down he gets through without looking tired is immense.

:thup: Can't think of much to fault him with. Worked hard, good cross, some nice interceptions when pressing. Good game.

Guest firetotheworks

He has all the physical attributes to be a very good full back/wing back, so as long as he listens to Rafa and has the capacity to put what he learns out there on the pitch, then there's no reason he can't improve and remove the need for a future replacement.

I thought he was shite for 20 minutes then very good thereafter. Probably the weakest link in the team along with Gayle.

Up against P.E.A who is a fantastic player, it took him time to adjust, he did brilliantly. I love the little man, proper decent he is.

Thought he got caught too narrow a few times today, at one point in the first half, he was too narrow and he switched off too which almost cost us.

Overall I'd say he's had a really acceptable season and that if Rafa stays, he'll develop him into a proper top full back.

If you could create a Yedders/Dummett clone you'd be onto something.......