Newcastle United 2 - 0 Brighton - 27/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 23

Disco

Guest firetotheworks

Best we've played this season, very happy with that. Seeing a Newcastle team with movement off the ball and genuine threat from set pieces is brilliant, so refreshing.

Holloway saying Sels made a meal of the challenge for the 2nd yellow.  :rolleyes:

But even on slow-mo, the clatter is what pushes sels leg around.

Maybe harsh to lead to a red, but he does catch the keeper.

God I hate the presentation of the Championship Ian fucking Holloway trying to second-guess Rafa Benitez ffs. Someone just shoot his stupid shiny bald head off.

Anderson on the radio pre-game: "everybody trusts Rafa Benitez, so we've got to go along with that" :lol:

The old saying is "you have to earn the right to play" and I think we're still in the earning phase in Rafa's mind.

We are drilling down all the details, still have a lot of work to do in continually dominating the middle of the pitch. We didn't have our two best forwards, we're still developing chemistry within the squad, yet we had a comfortable win against one of the better sides in the division. I don't think Rafa wanted to push forward in huge numbers, he wants the team to learn how to control games. By that standard, it was a good and promising performance.

He's slowly lifting a moribund, sloppy group into higher levels of professionalism.

Imagine an interview with Pardew, Carver or McClaren after this game. "Absolutely fantastic", "knocking it about like Barcelona", "great win against a superb side" etc. Rafa is content. No more, no less.

Big win, that. Fingers crossed it's a sign that it's starting to come together and they've found their feet at this level. Dominant performance for the most part.

Is it nitpicking to mention my worries as to how few goals we've managed in open play so far? Just had a quick look through our league games so far and it's 3 in 6 as a direct result of a set piece, and another 2 were from rebounds that were also the result of a set piece.

On the flip side, I've not felt so excited at set pieces in years since Raylor. Cabaye could hammer home a free kick at times but if he needed to tee up a corner or indirect free kick for a team mate he was shocking.

They were unbeaten in the league (obvs not playoffs) since Feb, apparently :thup:

They were also the division's joint top scorers in 15/16 too.

Narrow flukey wins though.

If you'd seen the games instead of relying on Google you know you're misinformed. Yeah they scored goals. They also conceded far more than the teams around them, finished third and got dicked by Sheffield Wednesday in the playoffs.

Drop it, anyway. I don't want to talk about Brighton & Hove Albion. Awful club who won't get promoted.

Imagine an interview with Pardew, Carver or McClaren after this game. "Absolutely fantastic", "knocking it about like Barcelona", "great win against a superb side" etc. Rafa is content. No more, no less.

Love that bit in the interview

Reporter: good header from Lascelles wasn't it?

Rafa: he is trying to improve, I want him to score more goals now.