Newcastle United 2 - 0 Brighton - 27/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 23

Disco

Great result, especially going into the international break.

By next game, we'll hopefully have more new players in, who'll have had time training with the squad, and hopefully be ready to kick on.

Onwards and upwards!!  :clap2:

As I said, lovely and bizarre to be so proficient from set plays. Delighted there is such a winning vibe and such positivity around the club.

Think the performances will only get better, more goals from open play, but in the interim I'm really impressed how we've bounced back from the opening two defeats. What a turnaround! Good professionalism as everyone has said.

We've just brushed aside the team that finished joint 2nd without breaking sweat.

More positives than negatives to take from today but this is bullshit. They finished 3rd with a load of flukey narrow victories and were found out in the playoffs.

That is really a load of shit Ron.

Still a bit of work to do. We were the better side, but I never felt completely relaxed.

We were a bit lucky that they didn't score from any of their set pieces. Their delivery was good, and we looked very vulnerable. Sels doesn't look confident in those situations, but I think he'll improve.

A great free kick from Shelvey but I don't think he helps out enough defensively. Hayden and Diame were the main plus points, I thought.

Perez looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

2-0 up against one of our main promotion rivals and this forum is still so negative  :lol:

It's ridiculous. Very professional performance, easily did enough to win.

People were upset when we lost to Fulham and Huddersfield based on their league position last season. We've just brushed aside the team that finished joint 2nd without breaking sweat.

What is with the negativity, man? The club's being slowly awakened from a coma by a world class manager and people are pissing and moaning over everything.

Still a bit of work to do. We were the better side, but I never felt completely relaxed.

We were a bit lucky that they didn't score from any of their set pieces. Their delivery was good, and we looked very vulnerable. Sels doesn't look confident in those situations, but I think he'll improve.

A great free kick from Shelvey but I don't think he helps out enough defensively. Hayden and Diame were the main plus points, I thought.

Perez looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

Their delivery was good yet we dealt with them all very well. Hardly screams vulnerable IMO.

Thought we played really well, you can see we actually train and learn things through the week now.

First full game I've seen this season and I was expecting Sels to be terrible but I was impressed with him.

We've just brushed aside the team that finished joint 2nd without breaking sweat.

More positives than negatives to take from today but this is bullshit. They finished 3rd with a load of flukey narrow victories and were found out in the playoffs.

Clearly I was watching and you weren't. It's all not even worth mentioning anyway. We played well against 10 men. A few positives to take while reinforcing the lack of a left winger and lack of goal threat from the likes of Perez.

Sels 7 - apart from one flap, solid

Anita 7 - never looked troubled despite Brighton attacking a lot down his side in the first half, passed well

Lascelles 8 - moved the ball well, strong against Murray.  plus one for a glorious goal

Mbemba 7 - broke out of defence and distributed well.  weak in the air a few times, so could have docked a point to 6

Dummett 7 - a solid game, passed the ball well.  worried he was going to get rinsed today, but that only happened once - helped by gouffran

Shelvey 8 - passed it well, did his work in defence and got plenty of rest when rotating positions with diame

Hayden 7 - wins everything that comes his way, passes like an Arsenal product.  going to be a huge player for us in years to come

Ritchie 7 - worked his bollocks off, nothing came his way to score.  cracking delivery for the goal

Gouffran 6.5 - insane effort off the bar, put in a proper shift to double up with dummett in defence.  didn't offer enough going forward, but that's probably because of all the shuttles he was doing ind defence

Diame 7 - did some nice stuff in the first half in attack, just the sort of player we need at amc, rotated with shelvey and did a lot of running in defence as well.  fantastic signing

Ayoze 6 - worked his bollocks off to his credit, did some alright play in spells, but doesn't have it in him to dominate his man and drive us forward, petty at times which resulted in the yellow.  a stop gap playing at #9.

In a bar in Ireland ! The bar man said he stick us on one of the TV's but the bar was jammed way united ones so I didn't see it do I don't know how we played but fuck it really happy with that result ! We're on the up come on !!!!!!

Clearly I was watching and you weren't. It's all not even worth mentioning anyway. We played well against 10 men. A few positives to take while reinforcing the lack of a left winger and lack of goal threat from the likes of Perez.

Well i was watching enough to know it's not flukey to be the top scorers in the Championship last season. Or do all those fluckey narrow wins add up to 72 goals ?

Don't really understand Brighton's gameplan of diving all over the place and put their own daft tackles in at the same time. It just meant when anything big came along the Ref had no choice but to book them as well and in the end led to their sending off.

Felt we gave Brighton far too much of the ball and our midfield were left chasing shadows for large parts. Not sure if that was intentional after our first two games to allow Brighton to open up and come at us so we could counter, but i thought we'd be seeing much better football than we have so far.

Thoroughly professional performance. Did enough every area of the pitch and never really looked in danger despite obvious quality in Brighton's attack.

Sels coming good and going to get better. Shelveys best game to date maybe? Certainly a great FK.

Gouffran did his bit and was an awesome strike off the bar.

Perez, someone said he was shit, they don't understand football. He was tireless, pressing, harrying and making himself available all over.

After today I have little worries we're going to be top 2 come the end.