Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Results now players would cost more than we'd have been prepped to pay. Guess Charners and Barnes were looking at it from the POV if Murphy fulfils even half his potential we'll make a profit back on the fee plus he'll be on relatively low wages for someone carrying that fee.

Exactly - and you've seen where the policy has got us. Relegated twice.

I'd hasten a guess that Rafa thought he had a greater budget left than he actually had as Murphy was fairly early in the window from memory.

We've never targeted young local players like Murphy. Lascelles is, if I remember correctly, our most expensive young British bought in the last 5 years.

Our policy has been cheap foreigners which resulted in relegation.

Atsu looked ropey in his first few appearances for us last season but he's come on leaps and bounds under Rafa.

Murphy will have to play his part in a squad role this season.

Atsu looks a million times more dangerous than when he first came, hoping Murphy can develop under Rafa's coaching as well. Rafa has probably seen the raw attributes and attitude and thinks he can coach the tactical side into him.

I think you are right that he needs to play a squad role but will get plenty of game time alongside Aarons I suspect (I think Rafa is easing Aarons into it to avoid recurrence of injury)

Results now players would cost more than we'd have been prepped to pay. Guess Charners and Barnes were looking at it from the POV if Murphy fulfils even half his potential we'll make a profit back on the fee plus he'll be on relatively low wages for someone carrying that fee.

Exactly - and you've seen where the policy has got us. Relegated twice.

I'd hasten a guess that Rafa thought he had a greater budget left than he actually had as Murphy was fairly early in the window from memory.

I think the mistake last time was investing heavily in young foreign (new league, life, language) players who simply didn't want to be here. Murphy is the total opposite apart from age.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Did Rafa really want this lad? Seems odd that we spent £12m on him but hardly ever play him.

I think it's more that Atsu has got that place locked down at the moment. Or at least he did.

At the start of the season I think it was a case of one of them having to really perform to stay in there because they'd have two of Atsu, Murphy, and Aarons going for that place. At the moment it's more that one of them can underperform maybe knowing that the alternative won't do that much better.

I think there's a fair chance that one of Murphy or Aarons will be given a chance against Liverpool because Atsu was poor yesterday.

If he's coming on as an impact sub he can't play as timid as he did at Swansea. Which is actually why I do like Aarons as someone who has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. My thought is Murphy is going to be a really good player for us, just is very very raw.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazes me that we spent so much money on Murphy when a goalkeeper upgrade would've been so easy.

If we'd spent £50m on the squad, the Murphy signing wouldn't stand out so much. Using a significant percentage of the budget on him is a severe oversight, but Rafa probably didn't know how little more he was gonna be able to spend.

The lad needs about six months of eating beef and lifting weights if he's gonna have a hope in the Premier League.

Amazes me that we spent so much money on Murphy when a goalkeeper upgrade would've been so easy.

If we'd spent £50m on the squad, the Murphy signing wouldn't stand out so much. Using a significant percentage of the budget on him is a severe oversight, but Rafa probably didn't know how little more he was gonna be able to spend.

The lad needs about six months of eating beef and lifting weights if he's gonna have a hope in the Premier League.

That's not really my concern with his play. He literally just seems to want to kick it past people and run. No creativity or flair about his game, which is what he'll need at this level.

Nice shot in the end, but other than that not much urgency from this guy, in fact was incredibly unimpressed with him not getting at / chasing their player by the touchline few mins before that

Don't see any signs of him breaking into the first team any time soon.

He had a good shot late on but overall he looked like he was offering nothing. You expect a winger coming on so late to be explosive and test the opposition not be so quiet. He needs a lot of work this year and maybe he'll fight for a starting place towards the end of the season/next season.

I was wondering why we spent money on him. He is too raw, he doesn't have lightning speed, he isn't a polished dribbler, he is just young and English. 

But today I finally know why.  If he is able to hit that shot consistently by his weaker foot he is unstoppable in the future. Very long long way to go but at least finally I see something.

Not willing to give up on him just yet, he's really on had bits of games, outside of the start against Swansea, which admittedly was poor. Think he needs to learn what Rafa requires of his wide men first before he gains his trust. Been a little disappointed in Atsu, so far, that position is up for grabs if Murphy can step it up, but right now he's a long way off Atsu.

Not willing to give up on him just yet, he's really on had bits of games, outside of the start against Swansea, which admittedly was poor. Think he needs to learn what Rafa requires of his wide men first before he gains his trust. Been a little disappointed in Atsu, so far, that position is up for grabs if Murphy can step it up, but right now he's a long way off Atsu.

What, really? I've thought Atsu is an automatic starter and rightly so, he has his moments but mostly he has been one of the most improved players for me this year.