Other clubs' transfers

Greg

I like Maguire and it annoys me how much stick he gets because he’s not a bad player. There was a time Man utd fans were praying he’d be fit for the Europa League final. I think the problem was when Varane came in. Maguire was the leader before that but Varane is obviously the better player. Had Maguire taken a back seat and let Varane do the coordinating, he could have survived but bossing around a four time Champions League World Cup winning defender was not the way to go.

1 hour ago, Max Cherry said:

I wouldn't even have him 3rd behind Messi and Ronaldo. Little showboating diving dickhead with heaps of talent but an absolutely shit attitude. The likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Modric etc are miles ahead of him in this generation. 

Yeah, the only place I'd have him 3rd is in that MSN front 3 that's the best I've ever seen. Unbelievable footballer, but played in an era where unbelievable players were in abundance. 

9 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Neymar’s been irrelevant for six years now. The moment he went to PSG, his career was over. His idol Ronaldinho went from PSG to Barcelona. This idiot went to PSG from Barcelona. Absolute waste of a career. 

I do agree the move didn’t end up as he intended, but wouldn’t call Brazil’s top scorer of all time a waste of career. Injury definitely played a bigger part than club choice in his career not turning into what he probably had hoped. Using Ronaldinho as an argument to diminish Neymar is quite weird as Ronaldinho became a washed up ex-player at the age of 27 basically and only had roughly four years as a top 10 player (and he was even more talented than Neymar). People tend to forget that. Quite evident that the likeability of Ronaldinho and dislikeability of Neymar clouds peoples judgement. 

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

I do agree the move didn’t end up as he intended, but wouldn’t call Brazil’s top scorer of all time a waste of career. Injury definitely played a bigger part than club choice in his career not turning into what he probably had hoped. Using Ronaldinho as an argument to diminish Neymar is quite weird as Ronaldinho became a washed up ex-player at the age of 27 basically and only had roughly four years as a top 10 player (and he was even more talented than Neymar). People tend to forget that. Quite evident that the likeability of Ronaldinho and dislikeability of Neymar clouds peoples judgement. 

Ronaldinho was okay at Milan. But what really clouds my judgement is leaving the best team in the world to join an inferior team and league at the age of 24/25. 

Aside from the 2013 ConFed Cup, Neymar was either injured or underperformed at major tournaments. Injured for the 2019 Copa America. There were so many Copa Americas going on from 2014-2016 and he never won any, he probably wasn’t present. That’s the type of player he is/was - moody. Shows up when he wants, if the occasion suits him. Probably the biggest let down of a player I’ve ever seen. 

And Neymar being Brazil’s top scorer doesn’t impress me. It’s not like Messi or Ronaldo. Winning World Cups and Euros, scoring hattricks against Spain and Brazil. He won the Olympics which I don’t count as a true international tournament. Look at the squads that competed in it. It’s what three? Major players and the rest have to be under 23? His international career in on par with Stern John for me. 

He was an excellent player and no shame in that all this 'who is greatest' is just a pissing contest who gives a shit. He's never going to be as fondly remembered for anything other than winning stuff with barca and fair enough. Off course the circus that surrounds him is tiresome, a lot of the circus around football always is

Edited by Tiresias

He moved to PSG to try and get out of Messi’s shadow and win a CL and thus a Balon D’or.

Instead he ended up in Mbappe’s shadow and getting injured for multiple CL crunch games. 

In retrospect it’s been a terrible move but at the time it probably made plenty of sense. 

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

I like Maguire and it annoys me how much stick he gets because he’s not a bad player.

Not impressed by Neymars international career and comparable to Stern John and this in the same page. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

McTominay is anyway. He'll be a very good player for West Ham.

Annoyingly as they are getting Alvarez, McTominay will be free to go box to box.

Don't like Moyes getting Maguire and McTominay along with Alvarez.

Was hoping he'd get stuck with more Scammacca types that he had no clue about.

5 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Maguire’s had a good international career. World Cup and Euro Team of the Tournament :pow:

What World Cup? Or are we making stuff up on the go?

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Annoyingly as they are getting Alvarez, McTominay will be free to go box to box.

Don't like Moyes getting Maguire and McTominay along with Alvarez.

Was hoping he'd get stuck with more Scammacca types that he had no clue about.

Yeah, could see him using McTominay in the same way he did Fellaini back at Everton

As with most high level professional footballers, they'll all flourish in the right system. Maguire is no different. He's like a fish out of water with Ten Hag's tactics though. It's in his best interests to move.

7 minutes ago, Froggy said:

As with most high level professional footballers, they'll all flourish in the right system. Maguire is no different. He's like a fish out of water with Ten Hag's tactics though. It's in his best interests to move.

"He'll be fine, he just needs to play in the right system, ie somewhere else for someone else's manager"

*sinks back to knees to carry on praying for his exit*

[emoji38]