Other clubs' transfers

Greg

8 minutes ago, Stifler said:

No he wasn’t. He had a good World Cup campaign, but most people realised that he was just in his best form and that he was good for Leicester, but prone to errors. Pundits and fans warned Man Utd not to go near him as he was overrated in the media. 

Nah. Paul Merson was one of the only pundits I can remember that criticised him at the time and he was ridiculed for it.

Opposition fans felt he was overrated, which is far enough, but there was a serious lack of quality defenders at the time. People forget City were after Maguire as well, but were smart enough to pull out when the fee was quoted. We were just desperate.

The general consensus at the time was that he would make us far better, which he did to be fair. Our defence was in a torrid state.

1 hour ago, Solitude20 said:

I think you too are misunderstanding my point, or perhaps we are talking about different points of view. 

It’s been said in the past view pages here and in other platforms that those deals are killing the game. It’s been portrayed as something out of the ordinary. My reply was against those claims since nobody raised those points 12 months ago or when Maguire or Lukaku deals took place.  I am not talking about how profitable this deal is for Chelsea. Remember, it’s about claiming such deals are astronomical and breaking the game, and I am saying it is not. It has been the norm.

I mean, with the salaries CR7 or Benzema are getting, Koulibali’s salary is peanuts. Koulibali will sit on the bench for Chelsea, and clearly they want to get rid of him. So other teams will play hardball to get a better deal for them since they have the advantage in negotiating. His fees aren’t high, his salary is. He is still good enough to have a starting roles for many European clubs. Now that Saudi clubs come and offer him the same salary and the playtime that he wants, so it is a win win. 

The point wasn’t about it killing the game. It’s about Chelsea getting bailed out. In terms of FFP getting rid of those wages and getting £30m for him is close to the value of our new shirt sponsor.

4 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

Read my post again. Chelsea did the exact same thing 12 months ago, and I gave examples for worse deals by other teams. So the idea that only Saudi does that isn’t true. 

He was literally sold at book value. 

I don’t get your point then. 

The others might be bad transfers. But Chelsea will be the only team to get all of their money back and all of the wages off the books. Maguire will be let go for free and likely with his wages subsidised for the remainder of us Man U contract. Lukaku was loaned out and some of his wages subsidised, as he’s not going to Saudi - Chelsea will have to do something similar again or keep him.  

Koulibali would be the best defender in Saudi.  I’m not criticising what it might bring the Saudi league - I’m criticising what it will bring Chelsea, nobody else would offer it. 

9 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I'm still confused as to how they're getting past the FFP rules and still spending big money on transfers this window.

Wasn’t everything cleared when Todd bought them?

27 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I'm still confused as to how they're getting past the FFP rules and still spending big money on transfers this window.

for thousandth time, they are pretty much the only one of the big 6 who consistently sell players for good money, 400m or so in the 5 years prior to the takeover, that plus the allowable losses mean they are fine with FFP. 

They’re gonna make 200m+ this window from sales so again will be fine. 

As raised earlier Arsenals ability to spend 200m odd every window with precious little from sales is more interesting.