Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

He has a philosophy and a way of playing. Those nobheads down the road bleating on about how he took us down are either in denial or just too thick to get it.

Some managers get an instant reaction due to their motivational style but fail medium/long term because they don’t have the tactical nous.  Di Canio being a prime example. 

World class managers take much more time to instill a system and belief into the club that permeates throughout and lasts. Benitez being a prime example

I don't think that's always the case. But aye, for someone like Benitez it took a little while.

If he had the same amount of games as Allardyce did, with a transfer window we would've stayed up comfortably i'm certain. Heck, if we had brought him in after the Chelsea game we would've stayed up.

Football doesn't work that way, Everton are not struggling because of their individuals but because they are poorly built and have zero balance. Basically look at Burnley, i don't think Dyche is some amazing manager doing an amazing job that nobody in the league could replicate. I just think the mental part of the game is vastly underrated and the technical part vastly overrated.

People keep saying how this team is much more talented than ours, but i really don't see it. Talent isn't just an ability to dribble or pass, there's much more to it than that. As bad as a job the likes of Hughes, Bilic and Koeman are doing i do genuinely feel the players they have are put on a pedestal they simply don't deserve to be placed on.

It's not as simple as manager is shit so players talented will do better with better managers. It's the same argument i had a while back about the Belgium national team, while the manager was doing a bad job the talent they had was vastly overrated to what people were expecting or at least it was talent which didn't fit with one another.

It's not as black and white as some of you are seeing it, but lets agree to disagree because we are not going to see it the same way obviously.

Guest firetotheworks

I think the exact opposite tbh. I think we'd be bottom or thereabouts without Rafa tbh. The league is very competitive this season and there isn't one team that massively stands out as a certainty for relegation.

Palace.

A certainty? Not a chance. Their quality is far superior to the likes of Sunderland, Middlesbrough, and pre-Silva Hull from last season. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Palace stayed up, I think West Ham and Stoke are in more trouble purely because they haven't removed their managers yet.

This is what i mean by overrating talent imo.

Palace are absolutely awful, they have a couple of decent dribblers but that's it. Same goes for Stoke, West Ham etc etc all of them are vastly overrated in terms of talent.

We might not have eye catching talent or hyped up young players but the players we do have work hard, not mentally naive and positionally excellent for the most part. ( some of that is down to Rafa but some of them are good at that regardless)

Which for the most part is much more effective at winning games at football at the lower end than a few dribbles here and there. There's no doubt Rafa is making us perform well above our level, i mean we are 6th ffs :lol: but of the teams you expect to be down there i think we are better with any manager who isn't actively making it worse.

Edit: CBA

Zaha is really good. Much better than Ritchie in general play IMO but Ritchie is great at set pieces so you could argue Ritchie is more effective

Aye. Sigurddson is similar, he's not as creative on the ball as his stats would suggest. But he's top, top quality from set-pieces.

Ritchie is currently on pace for 13+ assists for the season. I don't see this happening under any other manager nor do I expect it to continue at this rate.

Last season there were teams of genuine low-quality. Boro and Sunderland. This time I think there's a more even spread of quality in the league.

Overall we are a team that really believes in "the project". Super motivated. Confident. Well organised. Fairly big team. Quality on dead-balls. We compete physically and mentally. We can keep it tight, CB's rarely exposed and there's belief we can score goals. With another manager at the helm a lot of that would disappear. It's a team built by Rafa for mid-level Rafa ball.

Rafa is the main reason why I don't think we'll ever go 4 or 5 defeats in a row or prolonged periods of terrible form. Which will give us a good level of confidence.

To be fair, maybe Townsend would be the better comparision. Townsend looks better in general play but I reckon Ritchie will win you more points.

Townsend has looked poor in general play for Palace most of the time he's been there. Had a few good games but hasn't been consistent there at all. Hasn't always started either. It's not working out for him there so far. Hasn't found the form he did under Rafa.

I agree with Mole. Matt Ritchie isn't seen as good as wingers who dribble, but he creates more goals than them.

Ritchie is a decent mid-level Premier player though, that's not where the problems lie. It's up front we are shit, and that means we have to keep clean sheets to get points in general.

7 goals and 9 assists last season is pretty decent in a dog side like

Must be hard trying to arrange formations and that with dogs like.

CW6RvbQWEAAtPPq.jpg

"So I want Fido in the hole playing off Rover up top"

Terrified he could go to Everton now. His family is still based there no?

I don't see it tbh. His Anfield bond, he loves it here and is really building something, takeover underway, Everton are struggling...

I don't see it tbh. His Anfield bond, he loves it here and is really building something, takeover underway, Everton are struggling...

We were struggling even more when he came to us either so the fact that Everton are struggling wouldn't deter him.

However, agree with everything else, I'd be amazed if he went to Everton at this point in time.

Liverpool would be the only club I'd be worried about with their defence, but I can't see them getting rid of Klopp before the end of this season, hopefully by then we'll have new owners and Rafa will be spending big.