Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

absolutely no chance rafa is going to be blackmailed into signing that contract.

Yeah, not a chance

I'm fairness we were told on this forum that Rafa would never sign with Ashley unless given cast iron guarantees on various things. He went and signed and Ashley fucked him like he's done everyone else.

Thing is though, the being fucked over by ashley factor means all he has done with us is enhance his reputation. Rafa can't commit to a new contract leaves at teh end of this one? He is forced out? He'll walk into a job with more money to spend, he's proven he's great even in adverse conditions (possibly especially in adverse conditions). Rafa worked this out when he joined I reckon. He hates nothing more than not having a job managing a team and his time here is a win win for him, he gets backed he stays and builds a team in his image and can push on, he leaves he goes somewhere with more money. Ashley trying to blackmail him is ridiculous. He has absolutely nothing to threaten rafa with really apart from Rafa's decency to try and see it through.

This stalemate makes no sense. Each party could easily protect themselves with simple clauses. eg: Rafa could put something in his that states "Early termination if net spend is less than X per year"

Guest neesy111

Spain’s next manager.

Don't think he's an international type manager tbf, think he loves the day to day stuff.

Spain’s next manager.

Don't think he's an international type manager tbf, think he loves the day to day stuff.

Nah he would do well at international level after he's done with club football I reckon. His attention to detail and ability to respond to and exploit subtleties in the opposition would suit tournament style football well. Being tactically flexible is a big asset.

Guest neesy111

Spain’s next manager.

Nah he would do well at international level after he's done with club football I reckon. His attention to detail and ability to respond to and exploit subtleties in the opposition would suit tournament style football well. Being tactically flexible is a big asset.

It would be, but would he get enough time to work his methods long term on players.  Lots of managers don't touch international football because of how little time they get to work with players.

Spain’s next manager.

It would be, but would he get enough time to work his methods long term on players.  Lots of managers don't touch international football because of how little time they get to work with players.

Exactly the reason Keegan left the England job. Can't see Rafa taking an international job either.

Spain’s next manager.

Aye it's a fair point like. He certainly does benefit from forming close relationships with players as can be seen with Lascelles & Shelvey here. I just think back to how quickly he transformed us almost instantly after arriving despite going down that season - I reckon he could have a impact without needing too much time. Essentially he's good enough to do it, but I think you're right in that his preference is the day to day stuff.

This stalemate makes no sense. Each party could easily protect themselves with simple clauses. eg: Rafa could put something in his that states "Early termination if net spend is less than X per year"

I think it's less about nett spend and more about investment in infrastructure tbh.

Other than the fact Ashley is a cunt, there could be (very legimate) reasons to delay further investment even after saying he will do it. Therein lies the problem.

After the Keegan debacle, I doubt he'd trust any contract they stick in front of him.  Even if it's iron clad, he'd still have to spend 18 months waiting for a tribunal while Ashley and his cronies spread bullshit about him the entire time (like the claims about "KEEGAN WAS SO OUT OF TOUCH AND DEMANDED THEY SPEND 200 MILLION ON BECKHAM AND LAMPARD LOL" that kept popping up in the press)