Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

It does seem like you get a lot more sense out of BT Sport pundits where we're concerned.

I do think it's Sky policy to prefer uninformed contrarian nonsense to generate controversy to actual good punditry, gets more engagement with their website and that or something

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa knows best, in Rafa we trust. Pick apart thee FA Cup defeat and his team selection all you want, he knows what he’s doing. He’s got this and always has. If only the owner did...

FWIW, even when we were 1-0 down we looked good. Our shape was there, we were trying to counter effectively, just didn't have the quality to make it count. Put some genuine class up front and you'd see something on a different level. This is all down to Rafa making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Also need to delete shite like Yedlin and Manquillo who do more harm than good.

Agree, but let's not look too far down the line, let's wait for Rafa to stay on first.

It's not easy when only one team wants to play.

Fuck off Pep, you cunt :lol:

Urgh ... that's cringeworthy from Pep.

Someone should let him know it's not easy when only 1 team wants to PAY!

Ridiculous.

I thought Pep messed up tonight, it was obvious after about 15 mins that Rondon had the beating of both center halves, longstaff and Hayden were getting the better of his midfield and he should have put and extra man alongside and he played more or less 4 up front but they were very narrow which allowed or back five to cope with them

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Just seen Crumpy screaming abuse at the El Coto windows wearing a yellow jacket. Poor bloke is in tears crying about how he didn’t vote for this and Souey Souness is a real man who loves the Queen.

??????????

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s clear that Pep doesn’t have a plan B and I think that’s because he’s never needed to have one and as long as he manages top teams with top players, his way will work more often than not, but only for so long if the dynamics of tactics, formations, strategy, styles and systems evolve and change at the rapid pace they seemingly do today, especially in the Premier League.

Mourinho found this out the hard way after his early success which he’s struggled to replicate and then improve further on that would keep him ahead of the competition or even side by side with, regardless of how big the club, quality of players or spending power.

What makes Rafa so special as a manager especially here at Newcastle is he has a plan B or even a plan C which enables him to better the Peps from time to time despite an inferior team, win a league with a Valencia ahead of a Barcelona or Madrid or a European Cup with Liverpool against a star studded Milan.

And that’s because he’s never had the luxury of being in a position where his team and players are so far ahead of the rest they will beat the majority of teams even on an off day regardless, so he has to have a few extra tricks up his sleeve to be able to compete against bigger clubs, with better players and bigger resources.

The result of this is nights like tonight or Istanbul. I don’t for one minute believe Pep with this NUFC team would be able to beat this Man City team with Pep as manager and even with Rafa as manager of them. Not in the manner we won.

I don’t think he nor the likes of Mourinho would be able to do as good a job as Rafa has done at Newcastle with the same resources and while I don’t think Rafa would win a league title with this Man City team regularly, he’d find a way eventually.

He’s far better suited to clubs that aren’t mega clubs, with unlimited funds and star studded players in every position and although Man City’s loss proves nothing about them going forward because 9 times out of 10 they will beat us and pretty much everyone else as well and be regular winners of trophies, it won’t always be under Pep though unless he evolves his own tactics, style, system and methods in the way Fergie constantly did and Rafa has had to. That’s why Wenger didn’t win more.

IMO I don’t think Pep is capable because he’s not a great tactician, he will spend 3 years or so at one big club to another with great players and huge resources and win a shit load of trophies, until he meets his match or his methods no longer work where not even great players and lots of money will make up the difference as Mourinho is finding out.

Klopp has a chance because he’s more Rafa than Pep in terms of schooling and having had to come up with different plans and methods to best a Bayern Munich and now a Man City which thanks to their former manager, they are in a great position to do so.

Liverpool are more dynamic tactically, more stylistically interchangeable and more adaptable to a number of systems than Man City are and that’s down to the manager more than his players and he’s more likely to sustain that to keep evolving.

Man City didn’t play well tonight, but they didn’t change how they played or rather how they tried to play because I don’t think they can. We slowed them down and didn’t let them play of course and in the end they ran out of ideas and looked very ordinary and dare I say it average for all their possession.

Watching Rafa’s tactical masterclass, he schooled Pep who had no plan B whatsoever. Aye plan A will beat us 9 times out of 10 but that’s a given considering the huge disparity. Now and again though there is always someone smart enough to find a way to beat the system and defy the odds.

Under Ashley, Rafa is almost having to perfect himself in that respect just to survive because he’s constantly having to defy the odds and beat the system and anyone critical of his team selections or tactics just double check that scoreline will you. It’s no one off fluke, he’s been beating the odds his whole career because he’s the fucking master which thankfully for us he’s better suited for than a gig at Real Madrid or Man City.

He’s the best tactician in the world and one of the best coaches too. Imagine what he could do with proper backing...

Deserves the sack for that Watford match in the FA Cup though.

Love Rafa me  :smitten:

Would another manager in our history have got this set of players to beat the set of players Man City had out tonight?

Pardew fluked it in the League Cup when our reserves beat Man City who were pretty much at full strength.

Drew Spurs away in the next round and thought he was a tacticle genius and tried to do the same, failed.