Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

It makes sense for him to return. They would've discussed plans with Staveley back in 2018. My only concern is that he has employed like 50 people in Dalian and might feel some loyalty to them and the owners who have backed him there.

I think it's more likely that Bruce will remain in charge for an initial period, while the upper management structure is settled.. As much as it pains me to say it, Bruce has sort of earned it - the team have generally played with spirit and fight this season.

It makes sense for him to return. They would've discussed plans with Staveley back in 2018. My only concern is that he has employed like 50 people in Dalian and might feel some loyalty to them and the owners who have backed him there.

I think it's more likely that Bruce will remain in charge for an initial period, while the upper management structure is settled.. As much as it pains me to say it, Bruce has sort of earned it - the team have generally played with spirit and fight this season.

Do a swap and send Bruce the other way with a one way ticket

I think Rafa is the type you want to build a club from the ground up, I did get a little annoyed when he wouldn't let the team off the leash at times.. but laying new foundations and setting up infrastructure, I couldn't think of a better bloke.

I think Rafa is the type you want to build a club from the ground up, I did get a little annoyed when he wouldn't let the team off the leash at times.. but laying new foundations and setting up infrastructure, I couldn't think of a better bloke.

I agree we need someone like him to rebuild the club.  Our infrastructure is shocking now, no investment in 10 years.  It's probably just as a big a challenge to build this up as it is to rebuild the team.

Guest neesy111

I agree we need someone like him to rebuild the club.  Our infrastructure is shocking now, no investment in 10 years.  It's probably just as a big a challenge to build this up as it is to rebuild the team.

Yeap, that's a 3-5 year project minimum.

Rafa is the man to build the club up, don't care it if the football isn't as exciting as some other names being touted but we need a man in place who knows this place and knows exactly what needs to be done to get it to that level.

Rafa is the man to build the club up, don't care it if the football isn't as exciting as some other names being touted but we need a man in place who knows this place and knows exactly what needs to be done to get it to that level.

Absolutely and the football played towards the end of last season wasn't too shabby either.

I love Rafa but his transfer record is very patchy. At Liverpool he signed about 70 players in 5 seasons and most of them weren't Torres or Alonso.

Given unlimited spending power, I reckon he'd sign a fair few knackers as well.

I love Rafa but his transfer record is very patchy. At Liverpool he signed about 70 players in 5 seasons and most of them weren't Torres or Alonso.

Didn't he also win them 4 trophies?

He did and I'd welcome him back with arms open. I just think he might spend the occasional 130 million on Robbie Keane and Andrea Dossena. Might make it more fun actually.

Just look at the teams he built with Valencia and Napoli (Mertens, Koulibaly, Callejon, Higuain et al)

This is going to be a slow process. The immediate thing, for me, is not necessarily getting a world class squad in place, but to get the club as a whole back on track. Rafa's definitely the man for that. It's going to be a big job.

I'm happy for the manager to spend years slowly but surely building up the squad, if it means everything from the bottom up is being developed.

RIP Paddling Pools.

Which manager hasn't made bad signings? Sir Alex Ferguson signed loads of dross

If they don't fling Bruce out within 24 hours of completing the takeover I'm done with them.

Theres an Atlantic article that says it would cost £20mil to buy him out of his contract. So probably not gonna happen?

The Athletic. And that was in December of 2019. Can assume it’s run down some since and will be a sliding / declining scale.

Guest reefatoon

‘Mr Bruce have you ever been to the Turkish embassy?’

For someone so horrified by it all, you do like to joke about it mind  :lol:

Which manager hasn't made bad signings? Sir Alex Ferguson signed loads of dross

I've always thought Keegan's transfer record to be outstanding, at least at Newcastle.

Who were his worst signings? Mathie? Hottiger? Hooper?

‘Mr Bruce have you ever been to the Turkish embassy?’

For someone so horrified by it all, you do like to joke about it mind  :lol:

Wey I’m not without a sense of absurdity of it all. My eyes are open to who these people are, and if I’m to carry on following my team what I will have to work out I can stomach.

He did, but there was often criticism that he could have won the title if he'd been a bit more attack minded against the weaker teams, which I think is a valid one.