Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've seen worse kicking from the best Newcastle goalkeeper I've ever seen tbh.

Shay? His distribution was incredibly avaerage, given how good he was at just about everything else.

If Howe is as pragmatic as I believe he is then this lad will be gone in the summer, he’s served us well over the years and has been great value for money but it’s time for a new number 1 I think. 

First mistake in awhile and he gets shit on as if he's a shit goalkeeper.

Hate this tendency with Newcastle fans for the need to have to attack one player at all times.

He still makes up for those mistakes and was nowhere near as bad as people are saying.

He was pretty poor yesterday and at fault for their goal.  Look, we lavish praise on him when he has a good game so there is nothing wrong or negative in pointing out he was gash yesterday.  Do you just want us to say "he was great" all the time?  In my opinion I think he has been poor to average since he came back from injury.

Dubravka is fine. Clearly if we want to actually win things and be regularly in the CL, then he needs replacing. But he'll be fine next year for the level we'll be aiming at. There's far more pressing concerns, IMO.

Though if the opportunity comes to sign someone amazing, of course we should. Though that goes for any position.

I'm very rarely impressed by him, his modes are decent or bad. This week was bad. 

As a slight disclaimer, Duffy and Dunk are a massive threat so he might have been rattled. And we had very little possession, so more pressure again. 

I personally hope he's backup by the start of next season.

He has never been great at coming for contested crosses, it is one of his known weaknesses. He is playing a lot better than any other keeper on our books can and is good enough for a mid table team.

We have other places which need to be filled first in the summer, although him as back up to a great keeper would be fantastic...

There’s a good chance we’ll drop more money on one goalkeeper this summer than we have on every goalkeeper we’ve bought in our history combined.

That probably won’t take much given our biggest outlays are about £4m on him, £2m-ish on Shaka, Darlow & Given each, £850k on Beasant.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

There’s a good chance we’ll drop more money on one goalkeeper this summer than we have on every goalkeeper we’ve bought in our history combined.

That probably won’t take much given our biggest outlays are about £4m on him, £2m-ish on Darlow & Given each, £850k on Beasant.

Don’t forget £5m on big Matz Sels.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

That probably won’t take much given our biggest outlays are about £4m on him, £2m-ish on Darlow & Given each, £850k on Beasant.

Sels was £5m too although I agree with the sentiment still. That'd still mean a £18m+ GK would do it.

He's a great keeper, won't hang around though to be a number 2 and that's fair enough! He could quite easily leave for a decent club abroad, probably Germany.

We've been extremely lucky in the last 20 years with our 1st choice Keepers, they've all been above average and throughouly decent people as well. Given, Harper, Krul and Dubravka, that's not a bad bunch.

I still like the lad.

I decided to watch the goal back. I think it's easy to blame Dubravka but I think his focus is split between the ball coming in and Trossard jostling with Murphy right in front of him. That's what allows Dunk to nip ahead. That's also where I think Wood has to take responsibility for losing him so easily. You can't always win the header but you can make it difficult for your marker and he just didn't.

Guest HTT II

I’d be up for the club making any big upgrade on any player really if we can, but he’s the least of our worries and I’d be happy if he was still our number 1 going into next season. We need to ditch the other ‘keepers though, they scare the shit out of me when they feature.