Your favourite ever Newcastle United goal

joeyt

Gazza v Chelsea at home in 87-88 (Gary Kely saved two penalties that day).

Beardsley v Brighton home 83-84.

Beardsley v Pompey away 83-84.

One of the first matches I went to - Remember Mirandinha also scored twice, and was refusing to go off when substituted, as he was on a hattrick.

Never seen any highlights of that match since. Even the guys on YT don't have any footage.

I know - searched all over for it. There was talk Chelsea had it on a season highlights video but never seen it. The greatest lost goal of all time.

I can't really enjoy that game because of KK's resignation.

I'm sure it was after the Leeds match.

It was after the Charlton cup match, the Leeds match was his last league game.

KK said that it was seeing how devastated Gerry Francis was about the 7-1 that contributed to him calling it a day though.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-keegan-quit-after-seeing-francis-pain-1277584.html

Guest firetotheworks

I can't really enjoy that game because of KK's resignation.

I'm sure it was after the Leeds match.

It was after the Charlton cup match, the Leeds match was his last league game.

KK said that it was seeing how devastated Gerry Francis was about the 7-1 that contributed to him calling it a day though.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-keegan-quit-after-seeing-francis-pain-1277584.html

Aye, I remember that well but I'm sure that since then KK's always maintained that it was because of the club being put on the stock market and because the club lied to the fans about bonds, after KK had made promises to them in the match day programme. My memory's hazy on it but I'm sure others will be able to go into more detail.

Gazza v Chelsea at home in 87-88 (Gary Kely saved two penalties that day).

Beardsley v Brighton home 83-84.

Beardsley v Pompey away 83-84.

One of the first matches I went to - Remember Mirandinha also scored twice, and was refusing to go off when substituted, as he was on a hattrick.

Never seen any highlights of that match since. Even the guys on YT don't have any footage.

Chelsea missed 2 penalties in the game as well. I can recall going to buy the video at the club shop but for some reason, changed my mind and bought the Forest home game from 86/87 instead. Regretted it ever since. There is a Chelsea club video of 87/88 but the Newcastle game isn't on there. I think the footage may be somewhere but yet to find it, they definitely made the match day video of it.

A few from the 90s that haven't been mentioned:

Andy Cole's record breaker v Villa

Beardsley from the touchline v Norwich

Ginola v Sheff Wed on Sky

Ferdinand v Man Utd and Shearer's subsequent celebration

Tino's second v Barcelona

Absolutely unreal goal (if it's the same one I'm thinking of).  Ball gets played to Beardsley & there's nothing on but he looks up, takes another touch and simply scores.  From absolutely nothing.  There was a moment before the cheering started as if everyone had the same did he just actually score? question before it sank in that he'd just scored.

Beardsley is probably my favourite ever Newcastle player so I'm probably a little biased but that goal vs Norwich and the goal against Villa where the ball just seems glued to his foot are probably my favourites of his.

Ginola v Ferencvaros annoys the hell out of me, not because it isn't a great goal, it's probably the best I've ever seen by a Newcastle player.  It's simply because if it had been scored by someone like Messi, or scored by someone playing for Barca or Real, the media would still be masturbating to it 20 years later whilst it gets largely overlooked by non-Newcastle fans despite its brilliance.

Guest Howaythetoon

Absolutely unreal goal (if it's the same one I'm thinking of).  Ball gets played to Beardsley & there's nothing on but he looks up, takes another touch and simply scores.  From absolutely nothing.  There was a moment before the cheering started as if everyone had the same did he just actually score? question before it sank in that he'd just scored.

Beardsley is probably my favourite ever Newcastle player so I'm probably a little biased but that goal vs Norwich and the goal against Villa where the ball just seems glued to his foot are probably my favourites of his.

Ginola v Ferencvaros annoys the hell out of me, not because it isn't a great goal, it's probably the best I've ever seen by a Newcastle player.  It's simply because if it had been scored by someone like Messi, or scored by someone playing for Barca or Real, the media would still be masturbating to it 20 years later whilst it gets largely overlooked by non-Newcastle fans despite its brilliance.

I think we relegated them that day.

:lol: Just watched that one. Jesus those kits.

Those kits and that team :lol:

Krul

Janmaat

Coloccini

Dummett

Haidara

Abeid

Colback

Sissoko

Sammy Ameobi

Cabella

Perez

Subs: Gouffran for Ameobi, Williamson for Coloccini, R.Taylor for Cabella

:thup: re Beardsley, there were 10+ of his from 93-95 that were some of my absolute favourites.

Always loved the one at QPR where he played a one-two with Cole that finished with him smashing it it on the volley. Involved both great passing football and a spectacular finish.

Agree with whoever said Cole vs Villa to break the record, that one was a big deal. His goal vs Chelsea was a great hit not too dissimilar to Martins vs Spurs but not as powerful.

Was at the Portsmouth game where Shearer broke Milburn' record and that was followed with over an hour of celebrations. He obviously scored loads of belters as well, loved his free kicks and volleys the most.

Loved loads of Robert's, especially the 2 versus Spurs which I saw live too. Loved Asprilla's 2 at Anfield in consecutive years for the pure nonchalance and outstanding technique.

Cisse, Cabaye, Ba, Martins, Solano, Ben Arfa all scored belters for us. Also just thought of Carroll's hatrick goal versus Villa as it felt like we were really back and had a great young geordie striker on our hands.

Small mention also for a few from players who I think only scored one goal for us - Pancrate vs Watford, Mathie vs Sheff Wed, Enrique vs Forest. And for the goal that never was from Rob Lee vs Brentford, which is on YouTube.

Obviously I’m very biased but I think Ginola’s goal v Ferencvaros is one of the most beautiful goals ever scored.

For absolute unadulterated bedlam in the celebrations then Bellamy in Rotterdam and Shearer’s second in the San Siro are the stand outs for me. Both scrappy goals which I think makes it better in a way.

My favourite ever NUFC player was Solano and I’ve always loved his goal at home against (I think) Everton - cut inside, outside of the boot, curled into the far corner. Absolutely magnificent technique, he made it look so easy.

Guest Howaythetoon

I listened to Bellmy’a goal vs Feyenoord on the radio and nearly passed out screaming. I actually gave myself a headache and lots my voice.

Shearer’s at Old Trafford against Spurs though, the side pass, the way he hit it, the way the camera shook, the stands and the commentary. There was 8 of us huddled around the telly watching that. We ran around the living room knocking over anything and everything and we all ended up with bruises by slapping each other and jumping on each other. That strike man... it’s actually underrated, the way he cut across the ball, the technique, the accuracy and power and furthermore the way it literally destroyed Spurs as they were getting back into it.

Mind the one he hit against Sheffield Utd, he had no right to win that, he wanted that goal more than anything and there was nothing going to stop him getting to that ball and forcing it into the net. Again incredible scenes.

Rob Lee’s at Wembley as well... I think we would have beaten Villa that year. Not to be!

Guest Howaythetoon

Ginola’s Goal was outrageous and easily one of if not the best technically, I wa lie nah, no way, how the fuck. Robert got a great goal against Fulham, like a reverse back heel overhead kick thing.

Shearer at home to Villa, a few people I know said he didn’t mean that, fuck off there was no one in the box, to side foot a volley like that man. Such an underrated goal outside of what we all think about it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Speaking of goals, we all have our faves and our fave types, what’s everyone’s fave type of goal? For me it’s when someone slides a ball through and a player runs onto it and just slots it home or a ball over the top, lands, player gets it out of feet and again slots it home, like a 3 sequence finish.

Andy Cole and Sir Less scored a few like that. Basically Robert at Highbury that type of goal, that’s my fave because you know something is on and it’s then down to the player and the ‘keeper, like in a penalty really.

Speaking of goals, we all have our faves and our fave types, what’s everyone’s fave type of goal? For me it’s when someone slides a ball through and a player runs onto it and just slots it home or a ball over the top, lands, player gets it out of feet and again slots it home, like a 3 sequence finish.

Andy Cole and Sir Less scored a few like that. Basically Robert at Highbury that type of goal, that’s my fave because you know something is on and it’s then down to the player and the ‘keeper, like in a penalty really.

Fast direct wing play, cross and header.

Basically Gillespie to Asprilla or any number of Ferdinands goals