Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Why wouldn’t you want to secure an asset? Daft to let him walk away.

Well if he’s useless we’d have to pay his wages for 4 years I guess. Maybe that kind of thing doesn’t matter post-takeover like.

4 minutes ago, Smal said:

Well if he’s useless we’d have to pay his wages for 4 years I guess. Maybe that kind of thing doesn’t matter post-takeover like.

He’ll have suitors. He’s a half decent player. Suspect he’ll be next season will be his last before he moves on to Norwich or similar.

They've probably upped his reported £1k a week wage to around £5k in the hope of either him coming good or in order to get a transfer fee rather than let him walk for nothing.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

They've probably upped his reported £1k a week wage to around £5k in the hope of either him coming good or in order to get a transfer fee rather than let him walk for nothing.

Considering he's already in the mid 20s, I doubt it. Or you mixing your Longstaff's up? Either way, he's also in the 20s.

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Considering he's already in the mid 20s, I doubt it. Or you mixing your Longstaff's up? Either way, he's also in the 20s.

Well by coming good I mean being a useful squad player. I assume Howe has said lets give him a year and if he's still shite we can peddle him to Preston for a couple of million.

Guest HTT II

I’d rather we just let him walk on a free than give him a new contract, he is absolutely Championship level at best.

3 hours ago, nortoon said:

Need 4 homegrown players for Europe. So who are the best homegrown? Longstaff x2, Anderson and a 3rd choice gk for me, woodman? Unless we buy mbabu who would count. :)

Nothing wrong with keeping Sean right now, our midfield is good and we can use the budget on other positions.

Joe White will be better than either Longstaff

1 year would be pointless.

The contract would be to secure his value so when he leaves we get a fee. Obviously it could backfire and you have to be sure you don't tie them to too high a salary but the idea is now we'll be a proper club where players, first choice or not, improve and increase their value. As long as his wages aren't too high he is likely a player of a 5-10 million value who would be signed by a low PL/high Champ team.

If we're taking FFP seriously we can't afford to let assets just walk away.

4 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

1 year would be pointless.

The contract would be to secure his value so when he leaves we get a fee. Obviously it could backfire and you have to be sure you don't tie them to too high a salary but the idea is now we'll be a proper club where players, first choice or not, improve and increase their value. As long as his wages aren't too high he is likely a player of a 5-10 million value who would be signed by a low PL/high Champ team.

If we're taking FFP seriously we can't afford to let assets just walk away.

I don't class him as an asset, I think he is a total waste of a shirt and certainly not worth a four year contract. Give him a two year contract then if they want a fee from him.

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

We need a squad like. If we buy another CM and bin Hayden we've upgraded overall. 

As much as we'd love to bin off loads of the squad, it'll take a few transfer windows to get us to a decent level.

Yep, going to take a while, just don't rate Longstaff at all. 

22 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

If he’s on a four year deal we’d probably get somewhere around £10m/£15m next summer. Handy to have around the place in case of an emergency next season and then I’m sure we’ll go out separate ways.

No passengers for me like, he’s shite .

1 minute ago, GWN said:

No passengers for me like, he’s shite .

You can’t replace a whole squad in one summer. If you look at the number of players who are likely to go…

Darlow

Lewis

Hayden

Hendrick

Gayle

Clark

Ritchie

Fernandez

Dummett (?)

Murphy (?)

I agree he’s not good enough long term but the message is clearly evolution rather than revolution.