Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I'd say he was almost entirely anonymous but did a lot of running

Fair enough, his job at that point would be to protect the lead, so he would mostly be just looking to close any gaps.

He's had an odd few years. 

Rafa saw quality in him as a shielding DM that could read the game in front of him and make smart passes quickly and effectively. I liked him in that role too, but I think he often was a bit deeper. As a box to box midfielder I'm not convinced he has the engine to get around the pitch and be consistent on the ball. 

I like him though. 

The thing is he's always up there with the pressing stats and seemingly up there with the tackles as well and we know or knew at least that he had real quality on the ball so unless injuries have absolutely robbed him of that quality there's surely still a brilliant player in there?

It's not like he didn't hold his own against 2 of the very best midfielders in the world.

2 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

This is why I'll always think there's something there with this lad. 

Is it just me or is this account's tables pure eye AIDS? I can never focus on them for too long to even find the player I'm interested in. 

Again we come back to Bruce's tactical naivety.  Longstaff, under Rafa, most likely had a well defined role: break up play, lay the ball off quickly, keep the ball moving in the buildup and hover outside the opponents box in possession.  Bruce probably just told him to sit deeper and clear the ball.  When everyone is sitting deep, who do you pass the ball to?  There was no spacing.  Some players were thinking "Should I break forward?  Nah, maybe I should sit back."  

We were an absolute mess.  I can't honestly evaluate any player's performance under the shit show produced by that fat, tub o' lard.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, seems a nice enough lad. 

On a related note, I'm mildly surprised how much the content has ramped up post takeover. It doesn't appear that they've added new faces but all of a sudden they're doing all kinds of content you'd associate with a top flight club. 

On 29/03/2022 at 21:37, Kid Icarus said:

Was looking where to post that. Here's the full thing.

Hide contents

"Am sweating like a cunt" :lol:

Tindal's tan

Longstaff being blinded because his suncream gets in his eyes :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed watching that more than the last 3 years of games. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Need 4 homegrown players for Europe. So who are the best homegrown? Longstaff x2, Anderson and a 3rd choice gk for me, woodman? Unless we buy mbabu who would count. :)

Nothing wrong with keeping Sean right now, our midfield is good and we can use the budget on other positions.