Miguel Almirón

Deuce

- Can't dribble past a man in a low block.

- Nee right foot.

- Not creative or techincal enough.

+Presses well

+ Good stamina and pace.

Loved his goalscoring run, but when the goals dried up he doesn't offer much imo.

Be really disappointed if he's a starter next season. Will probably be easier to sell than the likes of Moorphy mind.

Edited by The Butcher

I know we have a set shape for pressing and these passing patterns or whatever they’re called. But I really like when he drifts infield, playing a quick one-two and going diagonally across the pitch. Or even when he comes right across to the left off the ball. 

He’s done the latter a few times of late. Wish he’d do it a bit more. As he is just getting marked out the game staying wide right and feels like we’ve been sussed there. 

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

- Can't dribble past a man in a low block.

- Nee right foot.

- Not creative or techincal enough.

+Presses well

+ Good stamina and pace.

Loved his goalscoring run, but when the goals dried up he doesn't offer much imo.

Be really disappointed if he's a starter next season. Will probably be easier to sell than the likes of Moorphy mind.

I actually like that he doesn't try to dribble past his man in the low block and looks for one-twos to get past them instead. When more of our players start doing this, that's when we play our best football.

Actually he plays ok even if hasnt scored sometime now. He has an incredible understanding with tripper and Bruno. Almiron is one of the players that allways tries even when we play bad.

I just feel for everytime he gets subbed off more and more confidence is taken out of him. 

He just doesn't offer all that much. He never seems to beat his man and always rely on the one two with Bruno/Trippier which is becoming increasingly easy to counter. He has no right foot. 

He runs for days, tracks back and helps out defensively but I can't help but think there's better out there.

There's no alternative in our squad right now and I feel like Howe will keep him on for next season but we really should upgrade in the summer.

10 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I know we have a set shape for pressing and these passing patterns or whatever they’re called. But I really like when he drifts infield, playing a quick one-two and going diagonally across the pitch. Or even when he comes right across to the left off the ball. 

He’s done the latter a few times of late. Wish he’d do it a bit more. As he is just getting marked out the game staying wide right and feels like we’ve been sussed there. 

I agree. That 1-2 give and go passing between trippier and Almiron..it’s so obvious at this point and we keep going back to the well. Our left side is severely limited by burn providing nothing going forward. We don’t want him overlapping and he needs the LW to support him a lot due to his issues with pace. I really think Targett will help us have more balance…along with your original point about Almiron relying too much on hugging the touch line and looking for a through ball from trippier. 

another interesting tweak would be to play 3 in behind the striker. Maybe Isak up top, with asm Almiron and Gordon constantly switching wings and showing up in different spots. I’d be fine with jow and Bruno as our only 2 CMs

He’s clearly a much better player than I’d grown to believe him to be - and that scoring run was unmaintainable.

It is definitely clear that the mid-season break has given opposing teams and coaches time to work on effective methods of shutting down the Trippier - Bruno - Almiron attacking one-twos.  Certainly the ‘one-two-flick over the top to Miggy’s run’ isn’t being bought quite as readily.

I do think Almiron’s general regression to the mean is being in part driven by Trippier’s downturn in form - it isn’t all down to Miggy.  Trippier’s all-round game doesn’t look anything like as good as it did pre-WC to me.

I’d be surprised if he’s here in a couple of years time - but I can say that about a few members of the team / squad who I think have nothing but credit in the bank over the past year or so.  The club will, ultimately, move past them.  I also think there is a good chance that the club might just take the opportunity to cash in this summer - not just because of his contract, but because his stock is unlikely to be higher.  But I’m content that if they do, it will be because it is for the betterment of NUFC - and I’d be more than happy to see the lad stay for the medium term. 

On 05/02/2023 at 03:07, TheBrownBottle said:

He’s clearly a much better player than I’d grown to believe him to be - and that scoring run was unmaintainable.

It is definitely clear that the mid-season break has given opposing teams and coaches time to work on effective methods of shutting down the Trippier - Bruno - Almiron attacking one-twos.  Certainly the ‘one-two-flick over the top to Miggy’s run’ isn’t being bought quite as readily.

I do think Almiron’s general regression to the mean is being in part driven by Trippier’s downturn in form - it isn’t all down to Miggy.  Trippier’s all-round game doesn’t look anything like as good as it did pre-WC to me.

I’d be surprised if he’s here in a couple of years time - but I can say that about a few members of the team / squad who I think have nothing but credit in the bank over the past year or so.  The club will, ultimately, move past them.  I also think there is a good chance that the club might just take the opportunity to cash in this summer - not just because of his contract, but because his stock is unlikely to be higher.  But I’m content that if they do, it will be because it is for the betterment of NUFC - and I’d be more than happy to see the lad stay for the medium term. 

I think Tripps is knackered tbf. Apart from a few half an hour's in a cup game he's not been rested at all plus, he doesn't just hang at the back he's literally up and down up and down all game. 

Same with miggy. Both are knackered I think. Even just coming off for half an hour in a game would help but hopefully with the fixtures lightening up a bit it'll get better. 

I think dropping deep picking up the ball and driving in field is a good look on Miggy. Isak does have a tendency to drift wide so it would leave the space if Miggy/ASM/Gordon would do that. Bit of fluidity in our front 3 would be welcome. As long as they all press correctly from whatever position they find themselves in, could be very good.

• 2 weeks later...