Miguel Almirón

Deuce

3 hours ago, TotalWar said:

I could be wrong, but I feel Miggy played as an old fashioned 10 in the first half against Atalanta. Especially early in the game he, as well as leading the high press, attempted to control our offensive game. Not sure if that role is now classed as an 8 as ive never played football manager. He seemed impressive in that role, I can imagine Eales saying that’s exactly how he played in the USA.

Yeah Miggy is kind of the same story as Perez, a number 10 in a team that doesn't play a number 10.  The obvious difference is that Miggy doesn't have the absolutely sexy finishing that Perez would show on occasion, but maybe he'll surprise us this season. 

Thinking back, such a classic example of the dark times under Ashley was the period we spent playing Ayoze Perez as a lone striker. What in the very real fuck was that.

16 hours ago, Miercoles said:

Yeah Miggy is kind of the same story as Perez, a number 10 in a team that doesn't play a number 10.  The obvious difference is that Miggy doesn't have the absolutely sexy finishing that Perez would show on occasion, but maybe he'll surprise us this season. 

Thinking back, such a classic example of the dark times under Ashley was the period we spent playing Ayoze Perez as a lone striker. What in the very real fuck was that.

In the last four months or so, Almiron has scored two worldies (for Paraguay against a good Ecuador side; for us against Palace—our goal of the season?) and 6 goals (two assists) preseason. I don’t want to slur Ayoze, not least as you say because he wasn’t usually played in his strongest position, but suffice to say that I’m not sure his finishing is any sexier than Miggy’s on the above run of form. 

20 hours ago, TotalWar said:

I could be wrong, but I feel Miggy played as an old fashioned 10 in the first half against Atalanta. Especially early in the game he, as well as leading the high press, attempted to control our offensive game. Not sure if that role is now classed as an 8 as ive never played football manager. He seemed impressive in that role, I can imagine Eales saying that’s exactly how he played in the USA.

I’d focus on Benfica where he was on the right, BUT with Trippier on the ball in the final third he was able to attack the inside right channel, and crucially Trippier had the quality to find him for the pass. I think that is something we could see a fair bit when they play together.

Guest HTT II

To be fair, Ian picked Pardew for his dream (manager) once and we only ended up and finished 5th. I now suspect Miggy to score 20 goals this season.

6 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

In the last four months or so, Almiron has scored two worldies (for Paraguay against a good Ecuador side; for us against Palace—our goal of the season?) and 6 goals (two assists) preseason. I don’t want to slur Ayoze, not least as you say because he wasn’t usually played in his strongest position, but suffice to say that I’m not sure his finishing is any sexier than Miggy’s on the above run of form. 

Nah I'm not having that like, I'm a Miggy supporter and his goal versus palace was definitely goal of the season for me, but it's less of a sexy finish and more of a superb all around goal. The context, the pass, the run, the headed first touch, fending off the defender, and then yes a world class finish. 

But was it sexier than this one?

No it was not. That's some sexy shit right there. Not saying it's a better goal, it's not, but it is a sexier finish.

Edited by Miercoles

1 hour ago, Miercoles said:

Nah I'm not having that like, I'm a Miggy supporter and his goal versus palace was definitely goal of the season for me, but it's less of a sexy finish and more of a superb all around goal. The context, the pass, the run, the headed first touch, fending off the defender, and then yes a world class finish. 

But was it sexier than this one?

No it was not. That's some sexy shit right there. Not saying it's a better goal, it's not, but it is a sexier finish.

You're comparing Brigitte Bardot to Sophia Loren.

I'd say Bruno has had a huge impact on him, not as much as Howe ofcourse but you can see those two play well together and do definitely have an understanding in a similar way Bruno and Joelinton do.

Edited by Mazzy

Lots of energy, some excellent runs and less ponderous in possession. Overall, a very good day for him. He just needs to get into the habit of being confident enough to hammer it with his right foot if he gets a sniff of a chance too rather than cutting back, as it seems defenders expect him to do that.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

My MOTM today and one of his better performances to date for us! Needs to add goals and assist though!

Joelinton was MoM for me. Miggy was decent, but he needed to get a finish to make it really count. We need goals from him this season.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

This is the problem with Almiron, lacks end product

He does, although I don’t think that was his particular problem today, as we lacked numbers in the box or options for him. He needs goals and assists though, no doubt!

He put in some decent balls in the box. I think the reason they didn't end up at a Newcastle player's feet was because Forest had about five defenders in their box at all times. It got past two or three players but they literally had their DM in the box sweeping up.