Boycoutt Newcastle United Football Club

Paully

:lol: I'm not a season ticket holder as I live in London but if I was I'd have sacked it off long ago. It's been painfully obvious for a number of years that we are actively stagnating as a football club.

We've had the treatment of Keegan/Shearer, the sacking of Hughton, the stadium renaming, Joe Kinnear twice, sales of key players, continuous failure/refusal to replace those key players, being tight about anything and everything to the detriment of the club, the Sports Direct signs everywhere, the 2 relegations, Alan Pardew, John Carver, Steve Mcclaren, qualifying for Europe once in the last 12 years, the dismal Cup record, I could go on and on and on here.

^ So he's sat through all of that, handing over £500 or whatever to Mike Ashley every season when he knows what's happening and plenty around him have been saying you shouldn't support this anymore as it's to the detriment of the club. He chose to stick around, fair enough. He's packed it in now, fair enough.

To then have the temerity to make multiple posts calling people "t***s", "scum of the earth", "complicit", "socialites with no real interest in the progression of NUFC as a club", "spineless" etc over multiple boring posts, because they haven't yet packed it in like he did 5 minutes ago, is not only completely f***ing laughable but it shows a chronic lack of self awareness and a total lack of humility when he's been funding this s*** all this time himself :lol:

So pity me all you like, dafty - I'll manage :thup:

You really shouldn't have taken the time to paint that picture. :lol:

:lol:  ... and breathe

Just can't abide all these s*** new posters turning up on here and carrying on like they're ahead of the curve when the vast majority of posters have had the situation sussed for about 10 years.

:lol: I'm not a season ticket holder as I live in London but if I was I'd have sacked it off long ago. It's been painfully obvious for a number of years that we are actively stagnating as a football club.

We've had the treatment of Keegan/Shearer, the sacking of Hughton, the stadium renaming, Joe Kinnear twice, sales of key players, continuous failure/refusal to replace those key players, being tight about anything and everything to the detriment of the club, the Sports Direct signs everywhere, the 2 relegations, Alan Pardew, John Carver, Steve Mcclaren, qualifying for Europe once in the last 12 years, the dismal Cup record, I could go on and on and on here.

^ So he's sat through all of that, handing over £500 or whatever to Mike Ashley every season when he knows what's happening and plenty around him have been saying you shouldn't support this anymore as it's to the detriment of the club. He chose to stick around, fair enough. He's packed it in now, fair enough.

To then have the temerity to make multiple posts calling people "t***s", "scum of the earth", "complicit", "socialites with no real interest in the progression of NUFC as a club", "spineless" etc over multiple boring posts, because they haven't yet packed it in like he did 5 minutes ago, is not only completely f***ing laughable but it shows a chronic lack of self awareness and a total lack of humility when he's been funding this s*** all this time himself :lol:

Just can't abide all these s*** new posters turning up on here and carrying on like they're ahead of the curve when the vast majority of posters have had the situation sussed for about 10 years.

Very strange how all these new ones are quite similar in the way they post. Relentless nonsense

Guest neesy111

Very strange how all these new ones are quite similar in the way they post. Relentless nonsense

Because they are.  New IP addresses and new email addresses, it's easy to get around a website that blocks c***s for being c***s.

Should be a questionnaire for any new sign up.

Not sure most have had the situation  sussed for 10 years mind. Wasn't  it only about 6 years ago we were in Europe after finishing  5th? There wasn't  too much unrest then even if it was an oasis in a desert of shit.. I think there's  always been something to cling on to in the past. Rafa, even just the hope that things will get better but personally I think the failure to back Rafa is probably one kick in the nuts too many and proof of what most knew already, that he's got no intention of making this club competitive.

Was 7 years ago. Anyway 10 years, 6 years, 4 years, whatever. There were plenty during the 5th season that were still p*ssed off we'd sold Carroll and spent the money so slowly, and also many with suspicions that the way we were squeaking wins wasn't in the least bit sustainable. People have had different breaking points but I'd estimate at least half on here have given very little or no money to the club for a long time now.

Anyway we're deviating from my original point, which I made a few posts back. To say it's a bit rich the way that new poster is carrying on is an understatement. To pack your season ticket in now is fine, to be abusive to those who won't when your decision is so recent is not.

FWIW I agree with your original  point. Sad state of affairs that the fan base is so divided thanks to MA. I think we all want a club with good intentions we can all get behind. I'm envious of any club that is making the best of what they have. The Accringtons or Exeters. They might not do anything but the people  in charge want the best for their club.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

From the guardian:

A couple of hours after finishing what was intended to be the first and final draft of this column, I was forced into a rewrite. An excoriating, potentially award-winning polemic that will now never see the light of day, the original version was mildly critical of the kind of football fans who relentlessly bore everyone to tears with grievances regarding their dissatisfaction with the owners of their football club, but are invariably too apathetic to do anything even remotely useful that might in some way lead to the departure of those custodians who are the source of so much disgruntlement.

Like those fabled match reports quickly deleted by panicking football writers when Manchester United staged a late smash-and-grab on Bayern Munich’s Champions League hopes two decades ago, the column I had written was largely accurate but ultimately rendered nonsensical by a late, unexpected intervention. As if sensing Newcastle fans were about to be singled out and publicly belittled for repeatedly complaining about Mike Ashley without ever doing anything that might reasonably be expected to help get rid of him, one website devoted to doing exactly that finally invoked the nuclear option and actually called upon fans to stop attending the team’s games.

“Enough is enough,” they thundered. “From today, AshleyOut.com is urging all fans to participate in a full boycott of St James’ Park, club merchandise and businesses associated with the club until Mike Ashley leaves the club.” As clarion calls go, it could scarcely be more commendable but given the years of stagnation their club has been forced to endure under its despised owner, you could be forgiven for wondering what took them so long to take up the megaphone.

It is no secret that the lot of Newcastle fans has been a largely unhappy one for the vast majority of the dozen years since the billionaire owner of Sports Direct bought the club. Understandably weary of seeing the venerable institution they love so much stuck in a state of almost total moribundity, they have staged protests – however well-intentioned but useless – before.

Sad departure of Rafa Benítez says everything about Newcastle’s woes

Read more

Following last week’s news that Rafael Benítez would be leaving the club after the expiration of his contract, a small group of angry men convened peacefully beneath the bronze feet of Sir Bobby Robson’s statue at St James’ Park to make known their displeasure at Ashley’s lack of enthusiasm for keeping the Spaniard on the books. While their gesture should be applauded, the presence of no more than 40 of them is unlikely to have prompted anything in the way of a reaction from the subject of their derision beyond a shoulder-shrug and trademark self-satisfied smirk.

In December last year, the Magpie Group hatched upon the wheeze of making their contempt for their club’s owner known by refusing to take their seats for a home game against West Ham until the 11th minute. It was, they said, a protest they hoped would “bring global attention to the repulsive way Ashley runs the club”, but a general lack of enthusiasm meant it went almost totally unnoticed and did little of the sort. While the 11th minute was chosen to signify the number of years Ashley had owned the club, one can’t help but feel that it was no coincidence it also meant those protesting wouldn’t miss very much of the game.

Like fans of so many other English football clubs, those who religiously attend St James’ Park tend to talk a good game when it comes to the public airing of grievances but generally come up short when it comes to doing anything that might detract from their enjoyment of actual football. Few protests encapsulate this half-heartedness as accurately as the utterly empty gesture that is the pre-match “march”, in which fans are called upon to mobilise outside a pub many of them were almost certainly going to be drinking in anyway, before walking a couple of hundred yards in a slightly emboldened manner to a game they had always planned to attend. One of the more memorable and protracted industrial actions in recent decades, the 1980s miners’ strike might ultimately have been unsuccessful, but at least those participating in it didn’t protest by donning helmets, going down the pits and digging coal.

By urging all Newcastle fans to boycott St James’ Park completely, the folk behind AshleyOut.com have raised the bar significantly and it will be interesting to see the reaction to their cri de coeur. Not so much “howay” as “stay howay”, one can’t help but feel it is unlikely to gain much traction due in no small part to the disparate nature of Newcastle United’s various fan groups and their apparent inability to agree on anything resembling a coherent, workable plan.

“If you choose to turn up to St James’ Park while Ashley owns the club you are welcome to do so,” added AshleyOut.com in its manifesto and there will undoubtedly be no shortage of fans who find the thought of not attending their team’s matches unbearable as they feel it is they and the players who will suffer, rather than the Ashley regime. Despite their understandable reservations, in a one-club city with the Premier League’s seventh highest average attendance, the sight of more than 50,000 empty seats on match days would constitute one hell of a statement. It is one that is unlikely to be made.

From the guardian:

A couple of hours after finishing what was intended to be the first and final draft of this column, I was forced into a rewrite. An excoriating, potentially award-winning polemic that will now never see the light of day, the original version was mildly critical of the kind of football fans who relentlessly bore everyone to tears with grievances regarding their dissatisfaction with the owners of their football club, but are invariably too apathetic to do anything even remotely useful that might in some way lead to the departure of those custodians who are the source of so much disgruntlement.

Like those fabled match reports quickly deleted by panicking football writers when Manchester United staged a late smash-and-grab on Bayern Munich’s Champions League hopes two decades ago, the column I had written was largely accurate but ultimately rendered nonsensical by a late, unexpected intervention. As if sensing Newcastle fans were about to be singled out and publicly belittled for repeatedly complaining about Mike Ashley without ever doing anything that might reasonably be expected to help get rid of him, one website devoted to doing exactly that finally invoked the nuclear option and actually called upon fans to stop attending the team’s games.

“Enough is enough,” they thundered. “From today, AshleyOut.com is urging all fans to participate in a full boycott of St James’ Park, club merchandise and businesses associated with the club until Mike Ashley leaves the club.” As clarion calls go, it could scarcely be more commendable but given the years of stagnation their club has been forced to endure under its despised owner, you could be forgiven for wondering what took them so long to take up the megaphone.

It is no secret that the lot of Newcastle fans has been a largely unhappy one for the vast majority of the dozen years since the billionaire owner of Sports Direct bought the club. Understandably weary of seeing the venerable institution they love so much stuck in a state of almost total moribundity, they have staged protests – however well-intentioned but useless – before.

Read more

Following last week’s news that Rafael Benítez would be leaving the club after the expiration of his contract, a small group of angry men convened peacefully beneath the bronze feet of Sir Bobby Robson’s statue at St James’ Park to make known their displeasure at Ashley’s lack of enthusiasm for keeping the Spaniard on the books. While their gesture should be applauded, the presence of no more than 40 of them is unlikely to have prompted anything in the way of a reaction from the subject of their derision beyond a shoulder-shrug and trademark self-satisfied smirk.

In December last year, the Magpie Group hatched upon the wheeze of making their contempt for their club’s owner known by refusing to take their seats for a home game against West Ham until the 11th minute. It was, they said, a protest they hoped would “bring global attention to the repulsive way Ashley runs the club”, but a general lack of enthusiasm meant it went almost totally unnoticed and did little of the sort. While the 11th minute was chosen to signify the number of years Ashley had owned the club, one can’t help but feel that it was no coincidence it also meant those protesting wouldn’t miss very much of the game.

Like fans of so many other English football clubs, those who religiously attend St James’ Park tend to talk a good game when it comes to the public airing of grievances but generally come up short when it comes to doing anything that might detract from their enjoyment of actual football. Few protests encapsulate this half-heartedness as accurately as the utterly empty gesture that is the pre-match “march”, in which fans are called upon to mobilise outside a pub many of them were almost certainly going to be drinking in anyway, before walking a couple of hundred yards in a slightly emboldened manner to a game they had always planned to attend. One of the more memorable and protracted industrial actions in recent decades, the 1980s miners’ strike might ultimately have been unsuccessful, but at least those participating in it didn’t protest by donning helmets, going down the pits and digging coal.

By urging all Newcastle fans to boycott St James’ Park completely, the folk behind AshleyOut.com have raised the bar significantly and it will be interesting to see the reaction to their cri de coeur. Not so much “howay” as “stay howay”, one can’t help but feel it is unlikely to gain much traction due in no small part to the disparate nature of Newcastle United’s various fan groups and their apparent inability to agree on anything resembling a coherent, workable plan.

“If you choose to turn up to St James’ Park while Ashley owns the club you are welcome to do so,” added AshleyOut.com in its manifesto and there will undoubtedly be no shortage of fans who find the thought of not attending their team’s matches unbearable as they feel it is they and the players who will suffer, rather than the Ashley regime. Despite their understandable reservations, in a one-club city with the Premier League’s seventh highest average attendance, the sight of more than 50,000 empty seats on match days would constitute one hell of a statement. It is one that is unlikely to be made.

Which journalist?

From the guardian:

Read more

Which journalist?

Barry Glendenning the mackem. Can't argue with it though, more publicity for the boycoutt too.

Guest The Little Waster

Bet this cunts renewed already ... Rafas forgotten by cunts like this already

Barry Glendenning, wow. Good article though. We need more of the mainstream media to write this sort of stuff and it’ll eventually stop a lot of the idiots spouting their ‘But Ashley put a load of his own money in and kept you profitable. Deluded jawdees’ schtick. Not all of it but a lot of it.

Relegation and staying down is the only thing that will get fans walking away. They'll not pay high ST prices if they aren't watching Man City, Liverpool etc every week. No amount of media and fan pressure will work

Relegation and staying down is the only thing that will get fans walking away. They'll not pay high ST prices if they aren't watching Man City, Liverpool etc every week. No amount of media and fan pressure will work

They already are. Big increase last season and a 5% one this season and I still expect to be 50k+ this season.

I can't see us getting >50K. Somewhere in the mid 40s would be more likely. Still depressing though. but nee surprise. People are dumb as fuck and it doesn't end with the toon. Nearly everybody who paid to see 'Suicide Squad' will be happy to pay to watch the remake.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we drop to a consistent mid 40k crowd like.  Even then I can't see it bothering Ashley, his price increase will cover a fair bit of it :lol:

Like you say, people are dumb as fuck which is why I still expect a full SJP.  Already seeing far too many 'hes not having my seat/but loyalty points!/support the teeeem!' comments on social media.  Mental.