Joelinton

Stifler

On 06/08/2022 at 23:25, STM said:

I don't know if it was @Flipbut I said in January that Joelinton would make the Brazil squad and got laughed at. Have we any other Brazilians on here?

Joelinton is still far from being close to the having a chance to play for the national side, especially at the World Cup. Douglas Luiz as you mentioned had a chance at the Olympics as an u23 player, did well and was then called up for the national side again but hasn't been called up since (luckily) after a poor season. Fred is more of a footballer than Joelinton. 

Joelinton just isn't a fantastic footballer and in Brazil we absolutely detest having midfielders who aren't good footballers unless they're defensive midfielders and for that position we have two of the best in the world in Fabinho and Casemiro. The fit just isn't perfect for him (at least right now). However, who knows, a new manager after the World Cup might try him out at some point and if he keeps developing and gaining confidence he might, but for this World Cup it comes way too early. 

Bruno on the other hand has shown time and time again since he got here that he has to be starting for the national side next to Casemiro or Fabinho. 

2 hours ago, Flip said:

Joelinton is still far from being close to the having a chance to play for the national side, especially at the World Cup. Douglas Luiz as you mentioned had a chance at the Olympics as an u23 player, did well and was then called up for the national side again but hasn't been called up since (luckily) after a poor season. Fred is more of a footballer than Joelinton. 

Joelinton just isn't a fantastic footballer and in Brazil we absolutely detest having midfielders who aren't good footballers unless they're defensive midfielders and for that position we have two of the best in the world in Fabinho and Casemiro. The fit just isn't perfect for him (at least right now). However, who knows, a new manager after the World Cup might try him out at some point and if he keeps developing and gaining confidence he might, but for this World Cup it comes way too early. 

Bruno on the other hand has shown time and time again since he got here that he has to be starting for the national side next to Casemiro or Fabinho. 

Re: Joelinton, i just don't see a single thing that Fred necessarily does better than Joelinton when it comes to playing a center midfield role. 

4 hours ago, Flip said:

That's for replying. Interesting to hear your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Re: Joelinton, i just don't see a single thing that Fred necessarily does better than Joelinton when it comes to playing a center midfield role. 

Yeah there's plenty of things Fred is better at tbh and I don't like Fred at all either, but he does get the end of the stick far more than deserved. Put him next to a functioning defensive midfielder like Casemiro and Fabinho and he is useful in many ways (not the way I'd like for Brazil to play, but they're solid as hell with him there). Put Big Joe next to McTominay or even Fabinho and Casemiro and both midfields would be worse off. Fred is inconsistent and at times even shocking (especially when he's played out of position such as yesterday), but he still got 4 goals and 4 assists last season as well as having the highest or one of the highest win percentages for a dysfunctional Man United last season and he's hardly their biggest problem. 

Oh, and I'm saying this as a Newcastle supporter (and being as unbiased as I can) who almost despises Fred because of the fact that he's not suited to the type of football I want Brazil to play and someone who would love if Joelinton keeps developing at the rapid pace he is, so he can be called up for the national side. But as of right now, he's not close at all, whether a Newcastle forum agrees with that or not isn't really going to change that. 

6 minutes ago, STM said:

That's for replying. Interesting to hear your thoughts.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Fred is utterly shite.

Joelinton is class.

I agree ;) 

Guest HTT II
53 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

ASM and Dyer perhaps? I don't think we've ever had a player that is Stylistically similar to Big Joe.

I was thinking Tiote?

Guest HTT II
17 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

As far as I recall Tiote never burst forward as much as Joelinton.

Tiote did drive forward from memory, hence the SHOOOOOOOT chants. Physically, how combative, aggressive, great at shielding the ball, intercepting balls, dominating their man and their energy, it’s very similar for me.

I can't think of any former player Joe really resembles tbh. Diame 2017 maybe the closest but I can't recall if he carried the ball as well as Joe does on occasion. Tiote maybe but, again, he obviously had far less goal threat.

20 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Tiote did drive forward from memory, hence the SHOOOOOOOT chants. Physically, how combative, aggressive, great at shielding the ball, intercepting balls, dominating their man and their energy, it’s very similar for me.

Did that happen before that equaliser against Arsenal? Tiote a his best destroyed like Joelinton but he never carried. The player whose style I think is most similar may be Vieira. He really invented that whole modern box to box midfielder style.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Did that happen before that equaliser against Arsenal? Tiote a his best destroyed like Joelinton but he never carried. The player whose style I think is most similar may be Vieira. He really invented that whole modern box to box midfielder style.

Constantly fans canted for him to shoot prior to and even more after that.

Guest HTT II

Vieira was very elegant on the ball mind, especially driving and running with it, Joelinton always looks rather clumsy on it as if he’s about to fall over or lose it and then he goes into beast mode and retains it and comes away to make a run or a pass.

Jo is definitely more Diame than Tiote. Tiote rarely got into the final 3rd and didn’t carry the ball, he broke up play and passed it. One for absolute certain, he’s no Dyer. Would add that Dyer breaking the lines alongside Bruno would be an absolute joy. At his best Dyer was almost unplayable when he made those runs.

Fair point about the elegance of Vieira. Since you mention the looking a bit clumsy thing, I can see the Tiote comparison a bit more. Even when he was great in that season next Cabaye I do remember him looking, but not actually being, clumsy at times.

Still I think the two aren't that alike. In our history I think Joelinton is a bit of a one off. 

Guest HTT II

I don’t think I’ve seen many players like Dyer, none I can put a name to anyway. He was quite unique in ways. Rapid, wasn’t a central midfielder, winger or striker, but an attacking player obviously who I always felt because of that, would struggle for consistency as a result of not having a defined position or role and not quite being good enough to be one type of player. 

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
17 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Fair point about the elegance of Vieira. Since you mention the looking a bit clumsy thing, I can see the Tiote comparison a bit more. Even when he was great in that season next Cabaye I do remember him looking, but not actually being, clumsy at times.

Still I think the two aren't that alike. In our history I think Joelinton is a bit of a one off. 

I think your last point (bolded) is probably the correct one, agreed,