Joelinton

Stifler

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Tindall had a couple of words with him like, had his angry face on when he walked off. :lol:

Was he not telling him to not argue with the cunt of a ref, seemed he agreed with his grievances.  

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Have you not watched over the last few years ? Loads of drop balls arent contested when stopped for injuries.

They are when play wasn’t actually stopped and we got a corner.

It was one decision going in favour of them that was too much for our players and I don’t think he got the 1st yellow for failing to retreat, but for telling the referee what he thought.

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, madras said:

Have you not watched over the last few years ? Loads of drop balls arent contested when stopped for injuries.

They headed it out for a corner though. Fuck knows what the ref was doing giving it to their keeper.

Joelinton is sort of carving an aura of hard man midfielder.. like he’s a beast for sure but he’s becoming more intimidating, like a few bad tackles.. nobody likes to see that but players will be thinking of that when they play us and he’ll start getting more time on the ball.

The likes of Keane and Vieira made careers out of that. Especially Keane, nobody ever really put it up to him because of his reputation.

Joelintons footwork and ability to make space just keeps improving all the time too though, we haven’t seen the best of him yet.

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

They headed it out for a corner though. Fuck knows what the ref was doing giving it to their keeper.

He stopped play as soon as the ball wasn't going towards goal.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, madras said:

He stopped play as soon as the ball wasn't going towards goal.

Didn’t look like it and our players thought the same as we tried to take the corner. That’s why Joelinton was kicking off because of the refs bizarre decision.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Didn’t look like it and our players thought the same as we tried to take the corner. That’s why Joelinton was kicking off because of the refs bizarre decision.

I thought he did, I was miffed he done it early to stop us getting the corner.

20 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Was thinking just that. Ref carded him for trying to do something he's absolutely entitled to do. Basics.

He was complaining about not getting a corner it was nothing to do with contesting a drop ball. His complaints went on too long and got booked for dissent 

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He could have easily seen red v 1860 too. I don't want him to lose that aggression from his game, but he needs to cut out the unnecessary lunges.

Didn't see it tonight but suspect this is a good lesson to be learned in an insignificant fixture. 

Just now, Skeletor said:

He definitely gave the corner, then decided that it was a drop ball because one of their players got injured jumping into Bondswell and getting nowhere near the ball.

Have to see it again like, I thought he stopped play as soon we didnt look like scoring. A seconds or so difference. Either wayif the Ref tells you to back off 5 times you know you're getting booked.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Have to see it again like, I thought he stopped play as soon we didnt look like scoring. A seconds or so difference. Either wayif the Ref tells you to back off 5 times you know you're getting booked.

He stopped play just before the ball went out so technically he was right it was a drop ball but the ball was clearly going out for the corner before he stopped play 

Edited by gdm

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

He stopped play just before the ball went out so technically he was right it was a drop ball but the ball was clearly going out for the corner before he stopped play 

He was still wrong though as the drop ball should have been ours 

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He was still wrong though as the drop ball should have been ours 

What they do regularly is give the ball to the team whose player got injured but make them give it back to the team who had it.

Hopefully him and Bruno will have gotten something out of their systems tonight. Seems strange that it was the Portuguese speaking lads who seemed riled up. Some words said in the tunnel beforehand?

1 minute ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

No, I haven't watched or refereed any games since at last, ooh, last weekend. Just because players don't always contest balls doesn't mean they aren't entitled to do so. In this instance, a Benfica player put the ball out, so at the very least, possession should have been returned straight to Newcastle. In this instance, Joelinton thought (rightly) that one of their players had taken a dive so that play could be stopped when Newcastle were dangerously attacking. He thought it should have been a corner, but because the ref called a drop ball, Joelinton wanted to contest it. The referee was wrong to call a drop ball (I think he stopped play after the ball had already gone out) and was wrong to book Joelinton for not retreating (it wasn't a free kick). Just because there is an unwritten rule about not contesting drop balls, doesn't mean that the referee can apply the rules to a precedent, they must apply the rules as codified. If the yellow was for dissent, then fine, the ref can book him and award a free kick, but if it wasn't, then in the match report then the ref will put something like 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct'. If that is the case, then that opens up a can of worms because referees can then theoretically book anyone for anything, in this instance because a player wanted to follow the rules rather than do what the ref decided on a whim.

Right then, so if he did stop play before the ball went out, and it turns out I'm not the only one to think he did, and he gives a drop ball, the current way its done, maybe not to the rule but it happens every week at the highest levels....its not contested, then Joe keeps on going is it not dissent ? and I'll bet you'd be screaming if it were the other way round, if they had done it.

It would be interesting to see what has been said about this sort of incident because the uncosted drop ball/give it back has been happening so regularly it must have some basis from the associations for everyone in so many leagues to seemingly just go along with it.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Hopefully him and Bruno will have gotten something out of their systems tonight. Seems strange that it was the Portuguese speaking lads who seemed riled up. Some words said in the tunnel beforehand?

It even lead me to do some googling on the differences between Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Right then, so if he did stop play before the ball went out, and it turns out I'm not the only one to think he did, and he gives a drop ball, the current way its done, maybe not to the rule but it happens every week at the highest levels....its not contested, then Joe keeps on going is it not dissent ? and I'll bet you'd be screaming if it were the other way round, if they had done it.

It would be interesting to see what has been said about this sort of incident because the uncosted drop ball/give it back has been happening so regularly it must have some basis from the associations for everyone in so many leagues to seemingly just go along with it.

I've deleted my original post, because I don't want to get into an argument about f all. I've done some googling, and the laws (as you've said) are a bit murky. I think the rules have been amended, as you've said, so it isn't as cut and dry as it was.

You win this round. [emoji38] 

6 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I've deleted my original post, because I don't want to get into an argument about f all. I've done some googling, and the laws (as you've said) are a bit murky. I think the rules have been amended, as you've said, so it isn't as cut and dry as it was.

You win this round. [emoji38] 

Touche. Ive just done the same research and didn't know it was an actual rule now. Thought it was an unwritten thing like you said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropped-ball   

Look under procedure for anyone else interested.

Edit.....Mind you it drives you mad when the ref stops play early for no need like he (possibly) did, the attcaking team loses momentum and position. Need to bring in a Rugby system where a player can be treated and classed as out of the game and the game carries on. Far too many needless tactical stoppages.

Edited by madras