Joelinton

Stifler

So lucky the way things have worked out with Joelinton. 

Random sending off

Right manager at the right time

Player had the right attitude

Fans went through turning on him to ironically loving him to actually loving him

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

I can't think of any former player Joe really resembles tbh. Diame 2017 maybe the closest but I can't recall if he carried the ball as well as Joe does on occasion. Tiote maybe but, again, he obviously had far less goal threat.

For me he looks like Olympiakos Yaya Toure - the year before he joined Monaco. Powerful, direct and accomplished on the ball but yet to really find his “killer ball” or “shooting boots”. If anything though that makes me all the more excited. I’d say wor Joe has a much better attitude and similar potential to Yaya Toure - he can only get better. 

Edited by BennyBlanco

On 07/08/2022 at 09:00, SUPERTOON said:

Didn’t scout him as a midfielder though did he ? Certainly not in the role he plays for us. I wouldn’t sell him he’s too important but that would be around the asking price.

Aye, crediting Nickson for that is laughable. A £40M forward who can do nothing near the box.

Love him as a midfielder though. Really hope he can add to that and provide some assists and goals.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

I don’t think I’ve seen many players like Dyer, none I can put a name to anyway. He was quite unique in ways. Rapid, wasn’t a central midfielder, winger or striker, but an attacking player obviously who I always felt because of that, would struggle for consistency as a result of not having a defined position or role and not quite being good enough to be one type of player. 

I've always thought Raheem Sterling is similar to Dyer, but not made of glass in the same way. 

Dyer was stuck in an era where playing 442 was the norm. He'd be decent playing on the wing as a 433 or just behind the front line in a 4231. However, as others pointed out, he was made of glass and couldn't finish.

Although I remember the FA cup game against Southampton away where he went beast mode on the odd occassion and bagged a brace. I think it finished 3-0. 

Another funny thing was that Dyer was mentioned as a potential replacement for Scholes in the England team at the time. We played them at SJP and I think Scholes scored a hat-trick. There was a crazy statistic that Scholes scored more goals at SJP Park than Dyer did but I'm not sure if anything can found out. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

On his day Dyer was unplayable, and we were too under Sir Bobby.

Dyer, Bellamy and Robert (going forward anyway) were lightning. I reckon we had the fastest attack in the league at the time (exc Shearer obviously). I wonder how much Eddie will look at pacey players going forward when we will look to break into the top 4. Step forward... Diaby. 😬

15 hours ago, OCK said:

So lucky the way things have worked out with Joelinton. 

Random sending off

Right manager at the right time

Player had the right attitude

Fans went through turning on him to ironically loving him to actually loving him

Only the sending off is luck TBF, but I agree!

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

On his day Dyer was unplayable, and we were too under Sir Bobby.

That goal against Everton was a thing of beauty.  Too few and far between however

I think the thing with players like Dyer, Alli and numerous others that don't spring instantly to mind, is the arrogance. They know they're good, but they also know they're not as good as they pretend to be. Nothing wrong with that, in particular, but some people just don't have the self-discipline to fulfil their potential.

I largely agree but I think its more to do with the fact that things all came a bit too easy for them because of natural gifts. Dyer had terrifying pace over the first 5-10 metres when he first broke through.  He also had incredibly quick feet. Both of these were harmed by a couple of injuries and he didn't have the self discipline to work on other areas of his game to compensate and therefore allow him to stay at that level or even improve overall. 

I've not followed Alli closely but I can imagine you could say a similar thing about him.  I know at the very least Owen is a very odd human, but to his credit when he lost his pace due to injuries he really worked on his movement in the box and because of this he was able to largely maintain his overall quality as a player for longer than say Alli and Dyer who both were, or seem to be, largely done at the top level by 24 or so.

18 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I largely agree but I think its more to do with the fact that things all came a bit too easy for them because of natural gifts. Dyer had terrifying pace over the first 5-10 metres when he first broke through.  He also had incredibly quick feet. Both of these were harmed by a couple of injuries and he didn't have the self discipline to work on other areas of his game to compensate and therefore allow him to stay at that level or even improve overall. 

I've not followed Alli closely but I can imagine you could say a similar thing about him.  I know at the very least Owen is a very odd human, but to his credit when he lost his pace due to injuries he really worked on his movement in the box and because of this he was able to largely maintain his overall quality as a player for longer than say Alli and Dyer who both were, or seem to be, largely done at the top level by 24 or so.

Actually Owen is a good example to cite. His goal against Argentina is a perfect example of using his natural gift of speed, but having the composure to slow it down when the control is needed. 

Owen actually not a great example to cite, he was done by age 25-26. That 2006 World cup injury ended him as a genuine force. That purple patch with Keegan was more a good run of form over 10 games but it was alarming how little interest there was in him on a free transfer, which is why he had to create that brochure etc.

Owen was world class from 1998-2005. 

Dyer also had a similar peak length wise (although not as high) - From 1999-2006. After that he joined West Ham and signalled the end. 

Alli achieved too much, too soon it seems. But the kind of player he was didn't rely on pace or physical, it was largely movement based. His issues seem mental, not physical. He has lost his drive. Not sure Lampard is the guy to help him get it back, if Mourinho couldn't. 

Self discipline is the key though, and it why we correctly laud the Ronaldo's and Milner's of the world, whilst the Rooney's and Alli's fall by the wayside eventually. 

Joelinton seems very good in that regard. 

7 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Owen actually not a great example to cite, he was done by age 25-26. That 2006 World cup injury ended him as a genuine force. That purple patch with Keegan was more a good run of form over 10 games but it was alarming how little interest there was in him on a free transfer, which is why he had to create that brochure etc.

Owen was world class from 1998-2005. 

Dyer also had a similar peak length wise (although not as high) - From 1999-2006. After that he joined West Ham and signalled the end. 

Alli achieved too much, too soon it seems. But the kind of player he was didn't rely on pace or physical, it was largely movement based. His issues seem mental, not physical. He has lost his drive. Not sure Lampard is the guy to help him get it back, if Mourinho couldn't. 

I wasn't talking about their longevity though, and it was a perfect example of what I WAS talking about. Owen might hve been  finished at 25-26 but you can't say he hadn't fulfilled is potential at that time. And tbf you don't say that.

Edited by Happinesstan

6 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Self discipline is the key though, and it why we correctly laud the Ronaldo's and Milner's of the world, whilst the Rooney's and Alli's fall by the wayside eventually. 

Joelinton seems very good in that regard. 

I'm taking more about self discipline in the moment, the ability to not cream your pants when you discover you're going to get laid. 

I'd be a bit angry as well if someone I was playing football against all of a sudden was going for a double leg takedown. Too bad for the little Brighton man that it was like Hornswaggle trying to take down Brock Lesnar, and he got put on his arse.

My stream must have cut out when this happened. Personally, I felt Joelinton was one of the few players if not the only player Brighton couldn't handle yesterday. The guy is a unit and his aggression is delicious. I'd whack a 5a on him being booked vs City like :lol:

I thought he was going to walk like [emoji38]

As funny as it is to see him go full Joe now and then he genuinely looks like he would stick a nut on someone if they wind him up further. Most players tend to have a bit push and then awkwardly look to worm their way out of the situation but he just keeps going [emoji38]

A better shithouse than Solly March could easily have bought a red.