Joelinton

Stifler

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Definitely not in my life time. There have been players who've redeemed themselves after shaky starts (Darren Peacock, Warren Barton, Speed, Perch, Diame and others) but none where the dynamic from how bad they were to how good they are is as wide as with Joelinton. Literally zero to hero. 

Agree.  Diame was a pretty decent turnaround, I thought.  But that was just a slight change in where he played in midfield and then improved form.  

This is a complete change in position.  Going from someone who looked about as useful as a bag of gravel playing up front.  To some kind of real life T-1000.  

I know you are always biased about your own club and I suppose the transfer fee does have to be factored in to some extent.  But I doubt there will be many bigger turnarounds in Prem history, that also involved moving position.

5 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Agree.  Diame was a pretty decent turnaround, I thought.  But that was just a slight change in where he played in midfield and then improved form.  

This is a complete change in position.  Going from someone who looked about as useful as a bag of gravel playing up front.  To some kind of real life T-1000.  

I know you are always biased about your own club and I suppose the transfer fee does have to be factored in to some extent.  But I doubt there will be many bigger turnarounds in Prem history, that also involved moving position.

Genuinely stumped.

Yes the fee did set expectations, but he's looking a bargain now thanks to the change in position. I doubt we could find someone better for £40m in midfield now.

If Jamaal Lewis suddenly turns into Gareth Bale we might have some competition

15 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Hard to look past Gareth Bale. He went from a meme at left back, synonymous with Spurs losing, to one of the best in the world as a wide forward and one of if not THE best British players of all time. 

7 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Genuinely stumped.

Yes the fee did set expectations, but he's looking a bargain now thanks to the change in position. I doubt we could find someone better for £40m in midfield now.

If Jamaal Lewis suddenly turns into Gareth Bale we might have some competition

TBF Bale was Jamal Lewis before he became Gareth Bale so its not impossible 

To be fair Diame for a spell under Rafa was immense, remember he was moved back into a ball winning midfielder and the ball would just seem to stick to him. [emoji38] He’d come out on top of every 50/50

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Hard to look past Gareth Bale. He went from a meme at left back, synonymous with Spurs losing, to one of the best in the world as a wide forward and one of if not THE best British players of all time. 

Yeah.  That does seem to be a glaringly obvious one, that didn't come to mind when I spent 30 seconds thinking about other players.  

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe Kane as well? 

I think that's still partly because he looked every bit the donkey yet is somehow absolutely unreal. 

Not sure on this one...don't recall the spurs fans ever hating seeing his name in the team

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe Kane as well? 

I think that's still partly because he looked every bit the donkey yet is somehow absolutely unreal. 

He was always a striker, though?  He has adapted his game a bit over the years.  But it's not like he's gone from playing up top for Spurs to a box to box midfielder. 

His passing and shooting isn't great, but with more goals hopefully the shooting can improve as a result of confidence.

However his tenacity, energy levels, intelligence and all-round power is absolutely essential to our success. When we're talking about adding players like Maddison into the CM position to help unlock defences, I wonder does that upset the team balance? I'm genuinely struggling to see how anyone could replace either of the Joe's in that midfield 3.