Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Great pass to Longstaff, other than that, all his crosses just floated into

space where we didn’t have players making a run. I think that’s probably mostly down to ASM not looking at where people are but also partly down to people not making runs

He is finished here, and is fast turning into one of the most overrated players to wear the shirt. His runs contribute nothing because the final ball or shot are absolutely shit and he regularly loses the ball or misplaces a pass. Will be playing for someone like Palace next season if he is lucky.

The moment for the goal salvaged what was otherwise a pretty average display, but it doesn't matter anyway because he's fucking injured again.

That left side today, especially when Willock was on the pitch, was tragic.

Guest reefatoon

Thought he started poor and was wasteful at first but got better in the second half. His problem is he is never fit. This is his chance to try and cement a place in the team but he has lasted a game and a half. He is just too weak physically and mentally. No use to us when he is never fit for a run of games. Not even sure what the problem with his knee was, he landed normally and didn’t jar it :dontknow:

It’s such a shame, I’ve always really liked him as a player but I think for both him and us, it’ll be a simple decision to part ways in the summer. For us, we’ll be looking for a consistent option that does the simple things right whilst also playing within Eddie’s system. 

For him, he’ll be looking at trying to play with the freedom he loves. 

It’s premature maybe to talk about it but I’d be surprised if he’s here in September 

I thought there were signs he was finding his rhythm a bit. Just a bit poor with his final ball, which has usually been the case over the years.

It seems his constant injuries are now more of a concern than fitting in with the system or not.  

Just so annoying because that performance against Man City was genuinely World class. He is still capable of that. 

Just isn't consistent enough and when he plays poorly it appears to have a negative effect on the team both going forward and defending. 

Would be a perfect player to bring off the bench and keep as a squad player but he doesn't have the attitude for that. Rightly so as he deserves to be a regular starter for a different system. 

Think I would cash in during the summer but his price is falling now. 

Really want him to turn it around though. Personally Love him as a player. 

Edited by Scotty66

I watched him a lot today and his role in this team is so difficult. He’s basically being asked to play like a target man, he has to stay high and wide left with Willock upfront so in line with him and Burn miles away in the back 3. It means he receives the ball back to goal with a full back tight on him as the opposition have ages to read the pass coming (having pressed us out of a right-side possession). 

I think we saw him play better under Bruce as he picked the ball up deeper and ran at defenders, rather than receiving the ball back to goal and having to hold off the defender, turn them beat his man, with no-one to pass to.

I think this is one area where Howe’s tactics can be questioned. Maxi should be allowed to drop deep and get the ball on the half turn from Joelinton/Longstaff before progressing it on the dribble. 

Interesting point by Scotty above about the price we'd get for ASM now. Which I hadn't thought about.

Its decreasing at a fair rate and opens up a debate about what selling him could actually fund now.

We'd probably be doing well to get £40-45m now.  Not to be sniffed at but not a snap their hands of fee.

Edited by Jonas

8 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Thought he started poor and was wasteful at first but got better in the second half. His problem is he is never fit. This is his chance to try and cement a place in the team but he has lasted a game and a half. He is just too weak physically and mentally. No use to us when he is never fit for a run of games. Not even sure what the problem with his knee was, he landed normally and didn’t jar it :dontknow:

100% this!

Once he gets pushed off the ball a few times or starts losing the ball a few times he just gets worse and worse from there and starts falling over more and looking to the ref to bail him out.

We cannot play both he and Willock on the same side as they are both so physically weak with the ball a lot of the time and both also tend to be really careless in the same manner. That left side has completely died since Joelinton has had to drop deeper.

9 hours ago, Jonas said:

Interesting point by Scotty above about the price we'd get for ASM now. Which I hadn't thought about.

Its decreasing at a fair rate and opens up a debate about what selling him could actually fund now.

We'd probably be doing well to get £40-45m now.  Not to be sniffed at but not a snap their hands of fee.

We're not getting £40m for ASM :lol:

image.thumb.png.85435b2d6dd3756fb40d22d0f8ab9b8b.png

Again I would say it’s extremely difficult for any attacking player on our left side at the moment because they get absolutely no support and most of our play goes down the right.

Cannot wait for Bruno to come back so that Joelinton can go back to playing as a left-sided 8.