Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Yeah he looked on it today even before the red and looked set to give TAA a hard game on the left. But feel like we may have stumbled on his best role by putting him more central as a 2. 

Really hope he can carry that into the final and with 11 and Bruno we can really scare those Manc twats. Attack is the best form of defence. Especially with out keeper situation.

Edit. Also not seen him run into the channels and stretch the game as much before as he was doing today. Recently he just wanted everything to feet. But he has the speed to stretch teams. 

Edited by alexf

Quality today. 

Still feel he's lacking a bit confidence to take his man on compared to how he used to be.  Again, not sure if it's down to him trying to be more of a team player or worried about the reaction if he loses it, pulls it back much more these days. 

Love the bloke and hate the grief he gets. 

I think he's kind of been in a place when he keeps the ball he feels like he's spoiling our overall team play.  He's passed at times when he could have done more.  Yesterday gave him the chance to be a bit more "selfish" and was excellent.  I really hope he can find that balance where he has the confidence to do his magic but also can recognise when to not!    

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Looks like he’s coming into the kind of form to cause teams all sorts of problems. He’ll be a massive threat for us at the weekend. 

I really hope so.  Eddie calling him out for his display will hopefully give him some confidence for next weekend.

There’s a reason why his two best performances this season were against City and Liverpool. I love him when he has space to run into and he’s not facing a low block. In fairness yesterday he also made the right decision again and again. I don’t necessarily want him to be the most consistent player as that’s not realistic with flair players with such fantastic dribbling quality but if he can build on making the right decisions more and more then he can be such a huge asset

He’ll probably be up against Wan Bissaka in the final, mind. Not many players get the better of him.

ASM might be coming off the wing a lot to find some space.  Which might be a good thing. Luckily for us. Wan Bissaka isn’t great going the other way. 

ASM has to start. Not his number one fan but I'd start him after yesterday. I'd actually just let him do what the fuck he wants and cause havoc. Him and Isak team up well, be interesting to see them with Bruno pulling the strings.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

I really like ASM and want him to do well but something just niggles at me that he's not quite right for us. Obviously at the moment with our various squad issues he's in the team.

One of the problems he poses for opposition is he's unpredictable. But on the flip side one of the problems he causes for us is he's unpredictable - it's hard for the rest of the team to know where they should be. This won't be helped with his time out of the team and there were some encouraging signs with Isak in the last game so hopefully this understanding starts to develop.

But at full strength when we've solidified ourselves as a top 4/6 team? Not so sure.

We probably stand a better chance of winning if the game is tighter and more cagey. If the game is open like against Liverpool, considering the form Man U are in, we could get hammered. This is why I am uncertain about ASM starting, as we will need the off ball discipline, and rigid formation.

Not an easy decision to make mind, considering he played so well.

6 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

The thing with Maxi is one class performance like Saturday will likely be followed up by a poor one the week after.

Not many players around who can bring what he does consistently every match like. I think as fans we just have to accept that a fast dribbler is sometimes going to try too much and lose the ball. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Quite clearly his style of play is more suited to situations where caution is thrown to the wind and he has space to attack. Sadly, he’s not suited to being an impact sub, which would be ideal against tired legs, as he seems to gradually grow into games and needs confidence.

right now he is our biggest threat so he must start, simple as that. Deserves a chance up front with isak.  Those two upfront would be interesting and tough to mark as they could interchange ,one comes into field and the other runs in behind

5 hours ago, Klaus said:

We probably stand a better chance of winning if the game is tighter and more cagey. If the game is open like against Liverpool, considering the form Man U are in, we could get hammered. This is why I am uncertain about ASM starting, as we will need the off ball discipline, and rigid formation.

Not an easy decision to make mind, considering he played so well.

I don't think he should start if Willock is fit. Going against the grain here maybe but I wasn't taken in by his performance on Saturday. The thing that is becoming increasingly apparent with ASM for me is that he looks better when there are no expectations of him. He came properly alive after the sending off when the game was already gone, therefore it was a free hit for him. Thing is though, apart from looking lively with his runs etc I still cant remember any real end product from him.

We definitely need a cagey & fully disciplined performance from every player to have a chance of winning this, and I just don't see this guy doing that. I'd be bringing him on at some point in the 2nd half, depending on how the game is going.

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I don't think he should start if Willock is fit. Going against the grain here maybe but I wasn't taken in by his performance on Saturday. The thing that is becoming increasingly apparent with ASM for me is that he looks better when there are no expectations of him. He came properly alive after the sending off when the game was already gone, therefore it was a free hit for him. Thing is though, apart from looking lively with his runs etc I still cant remember any real end product from him.

He put one on a plate for Almiron at 0-0.

Edited by BoSelecta

1 minute ago, BoSelecta said:

He put one on a plate for Almiron at 0-0.

Yeah I remember it. It's funny but at the time I thought he didn't lay it on enough in front of Miggy for that chance, hence why Muggy didn't put it away. Not had a chance to rewatch it anywhere though so couldn't say for sure.

I'm just far from convinced with this guy, and his performance in a pretty much written off game is not going to sway me I'm afraid. If it's between him and Willock I take Willock all day long for this match.