Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Fair play to the PL mind for keeping this all in house. There isn't the slightest snippet coming out of them. Journalists must be tearing their hair out at the fact that their contacts are not saying anything at all.

Good point. I’m guessing there’s a lot of people involved in this from their side and absolutely nothing has been leaked.

I still think this has to go through, there will be too many legal repercussions if the PL suddenly move the goalposts.

This line of thinking keeps being peddled but where is the evidence that there would be legal ramifications if the deal is blocked? It just seems like the whole legal thing is something that was mentioned by one person and everyone else has gone along with it because it sounds very reassuring. Even if its true I dont see how it helps us as fans as it would merely be a compensation battle between the PL and the buyers. Meanwhile the deal would still be in tatters and we would still be stuck with Ashley.

I still think this has to go through, there will be too many legal repercussions if the PL suddenly move the goalposts.

This line of thinking keeps being peddled but where is the evidence that there would be legal ramifications if the deal is blocked? It just seems like the whole legal thing is something that was mentioned by one person and everyone else has gone along with it because it sounds very reassuring. Even if its true I dont see how it helps us as fans as it would merely be a compensation battle between the PL and the buyers. Meanwhile the deal would still be in tatters and we would still be stuck with Ashley.

It comes from the fact the a lot of money has already been spent trying to buy the club and Staveley in particular has history of suing regarding commercial matters.

Also politically, it would be a great big embarrassment if this were to be refused.

It’s clearly a complex transaction and the premier league have a lot on at the moment. This will take time.

Bumped into the bloke I know on the football side of the club last night; none of them have a clue what’s going on at the minute. That’s to be expected.

Something has quite clearly happened to delay this. The info I was given from the business side of the club almost 2 weeks ago I can absolutely vouch for in terms of the belief at that point.

The PL will have their hands full with Restart at the moment and these delays are simply inviting opportunity for further objections. If it doesn’t get approved my feeling is that we’ve been done. Under the present rules there really shouldn’t be any doubt that this should pass, people may not like it, a lot of our own may not like it but, that’s by and by. Approve it and change the rules to tighten up future takeovers if you didn’t like this one.

On a positive note despite the lack of information from anyone. There really is nothing in it for mike to pull out now and I simply cant see the PIF failing the test.

Perhaps we should see something soon?

Probably a good example of why .com rarely offer an opinion on speculation. Even here where they’ve obviously been tipped off by someone they trust, it still hasn’t come through as expected.

Why do people assume that those working on restarting the league are the same people as the lawyers assessing  the PL O&D test for this takeover? I can see no reason why one needs to affect the other. We're at the back end of the anticipated timescale, we will hear in the next couple of days.

Also it will be the new owners who will announce the deal has been completed, not the PL. I can't remember a single instance where the PL have announced these tests have been passed. It's new owners that do that.

I keep switching between being 100% confident and then having horrible "it's definitely not happening, this is NUFC" thoughts.  Although the positive/optimistic thoughts massively outweigh the pangs of negativity.

When I'm feeling optimistic I tend to think that this is investment that the government/PL will want in to the North East and in to Newcastle United. I do think that there will be certain people within the PL who feel queasy about this deal at the end of the day money talks. Surely the best way to start to offer reform in countries like SA is to invite them in to the fold with certain expectations of them? Surely there will be some kind of conversation about proper TV rights and the need for SA to invest properly in terms of these rights? Realistically, other PL clubs can not influence this - the legal challenge would be huge. If they cannot link any of our new directors to anything within the test, coupled with the financial potential for the league, I really do not see this not being approved. It's a hugely complex deal and will take time especially in the current climate.

On a personal footing I am 27 and my main memories of NUFC are Mike Ashley. I vaguely remember the Champions League nights with my old man. I vaguely remember going to Cardiff in 2005 for the semi final and I vaguely remember the likes of Rob Lee and Gary Speed. Sadly, I vividly remember being at Hull when Pardew headbutted Myler. I vividly remember being on the bus to West Brom when the news of Kinnear having a heart attack came through. I vividly remember two relegations and the horrific treatment of people like Shearer, Hughton and Rafa.

My partner is pregnant and we are due our first child in 7 weeks time. I want to be able to bring our child up to support a football team they are proud of. I want them to be excited to go to the match. I want them to pester me for the new kits as soon as they come out and I want them to lie under NUFC bed covers dreaming of playing for NUFC. I want them to clutch my hand walking up the stadium steps and as Bobby said, fall in love without being able to do a thing about it.

I don't for one second condone what SA are or what they do or have done but I want my football club back and this is the biggest ever opportunity we'll have to do that. Please let it happen.

Why do people assume that those working on restarting the league are the same people as the lawyers assessing  the PL O&D test for this takeover? I can see no reason why one needs to affect the other. We're at the back end of the anticipated timescale, we will hear in the next couple of days.

Also it will be the new owners who will announce the deal has been completed, not the PL. I can't remember a single instance where the PL have announced these tests have been passed. It's new owners that do that.

The outcome of the tests either pass or fail will definitely leak.

Guest reefatoon

We need to all get our Uri Geller on, go bend some spoons and predict it will be announced today. enough bendage and it will happen.

I keep switching between being 100% confident and then having horrible "it's definitely not happening, this is NUFC" thoughts.  Although the positive/optimistic thoughts massively outweigh the pangs of negativity.

When I'm feeling optimistic I tend to think that this is investment that the government/PL will want in to the North East and in to Newcastle United. I do think that there will be certain people within the PL who feel queasy about this deal at the end of the day money talks. Surely the best way to start to offer reform in countries like SA is to invite them in to the fold with certain expectations of them? Surely there will be some kind of conversation about proper TV rights and the need for SA to invest properly in terms of these rights? Realistically, other PL clubs can not influence this - the legal challenge would be huge. If they cannot link any of our new directors to anything within the test, coupled with the financial potential for the league, I really do not see this not being approved. It's a hugely complex deal and will take time especially in the current climate.

On a personal footing I am 27 and my main memories of NUFC are Mike Ashley. I vaguely remember the Champions League nights with my old man. I vaguely remember going to Cardiff in 2005 for the semi final and I vaguely remember the likes of Rob Lee and Gary Speed. Sadly, I vividly remember being at Hull when Pardew headbutted Myler. I vividly remember being on the bus to West Brom when the news of Kinnear having a heart attack came through. I vividly remember two relegations and the horrific treatment of people like Shearer, Hughton and Rafa.

My partner is pregnant and we are due our first child in 7 weeks time. I want to be able to bring our child up to support a football team they are proud of. I want them to be excited to go to the match. I want them to pester me for the new kits as soon as they come out and I want them to lie under NUFC bed covers dreaming of playing for NUFC. I want them to clutch my hand walking up the stadium steps and as Bobby said, fall in love without being able to do a thing about it.

I don't for one second condone what SA are or what they do or have done but I want my football club back and this is the biggest ever opportunity we'll have to do that. Please let it happen.

Great post, and sums up where I am at too. Only difference is that I am 48 and therefore was lucky enough to experience the highs of the 90s. On the flipside though I also experienced the heartbreak of that era too and the feeling that it wasnt NUFC's destiny to be a top class club. That nagging feeling has remained throughout ever since, that somehow the footballing gods are against us, which is why...even in the face of logic...its impossible to escape simply assuming the worst will happen and this takeover will all turn to dust again.

It sounds like it's a consultative process whereby the PL are constantly talking to the buyer's side throughout. They'll no doubt talk about the new piracy evidence submitted this week etc. and discuss either what can be done about it or if it's even a factor.

All the noises coming out of Staveley's camp are that they're confident of a positive decision and i don't think anything will have changed that.

I also don't think the 10 PL teams saying they don't want it to happen has any bearing on a decision at all. Why would it? It's a no-brainer they don't want it to happen, but that's not part of the fit & proper owner's test.

I wonder whether the delay is because the PL have found something dodgy on the current PIF chairman who was due to be the NUFC chairman/director, and PIF have had to appoint a new chairman who will pass the EPL test as a NUFC chairman/director.  Just speculation on my part, but running the test again on the new director might explain the delay.

I'm very bipolar with this like someone said earlier in this thread. One minute I'm all happy and then the next I remember its NUFC and all doom is about to unleash on us.

I wonder if it's not so much an actual hold up on the PL's part, but the staff there who work on takeovers (I know they'll have other jobs too but bear with me) were maybe going to be furloughed and so they are dragging this out so they don't go onto 80% pay once it's done?

Yep, I am well aware I am clutching at ever diminishing straws but need something to try and remain positive.

Wish I could switch off

So do I, at the age of 45 I thought I'd be beyond all of this emotional and obsessive shite, but this has completely consumed my life for the past month.  It's all I think about for around 95% of the day and it's completely spannered my sleep pattern. I try to think it through methodically, and when I do I always come to the conclusion that it has to be given the green light, but the not knowing coupled with the fear that it could be knocked back is just torture.

Guest reefatoon

I think we should lock this thread. Start a new one with a summary of what’s happened and only allow posts in the new one once something significant happens. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where's the fun in that?