Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

1 hour ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Read somewhere that Reubens are the major investors in Castore. Not sure how true it is like. 

Castore have a mystery investor who are described a wealthy UK family, so could be them. But nothing else out there linking them conclusively.

Edited by buzz

It seems like a baby step to taking all that SD signage out of SJP altogether so you can’t see it as anything but positive.

We can only speculate the setup of the castore deal but would be safe to assume if the direct link between SD and the club shop has been severed, they’ll need someone to come in and run it until they get to grips with the retail side of the business.

Genuine question, did Mike Ashley sell or transfer the ownership of the current shop into Sports Direct? If he did, then the article by Craig Hope would be accurate in that SD own the shop. If SD is selling the shop, that would mean they would be selling or transferring the shop back to St James Holdings, etc. 

I read that article and just felt the logical reality is that the club shop was leased to an entity of Sports Direct. Sports Direct has now terminated that lease, and thus its employees are gone. The landlord is and always has been St James Holdings, or related entity that is part of NUFC. Castore, as part of their agreement with NUFC, will enter into a new lease for the space and pay rent to the club. The employees will be Castore employees. 

if the club is sold, then the new owners will likely terminate the lease and convert the shop into an official NUFC club shop, who’s employees would be that of the club. 

I know a forum is here to discuss thoughts and opinions, but maybe best to wait for what exactly is happening before jumping to conclusions either way. We will probably know a bit better tomorrow. If it’s nothing I’m sure Edwards will be the first to report it.

Guess this is the best place to ask this...

Should a Saudi takeover happen and we were in a position to attract a top class manager - who would you want? 

As a total dreamer - Diego Simeone for me. At some point he has to leave Atletico, and I just picture him here. 

More ‘realistically’, and a inevitable sacking from Spurs, it has to be Mourinho.

I’ve always had a soft spot with Jose in terms of the thought of him managing Newcastle. What with his connection with Bobby, I think he would end up a perfect fit here - similarly like Chelsea always seemed his natural home. 

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Simple as this. Our commercial income is laughable and everything is out sourced. Bringing the club shop back in house points to him being all but gone, if staff have indeed been laid off from Sports Direct.

Exactly even the receipts when buying something from there state Sports Direct. The staff worked for sports direct and not the club therefore of course the new owners don’t want Sports Direct staff.

22 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Rafael Benitez or Julian Nagelsmann. 

Wouldn’t ever say no to Rafa, but the pessimistic thought of never-go back, it’ll never be what you dreamed it to be wrangles with me. 

He’d be perfect choice to draft in once Bruce Tallow is sacked at first opportunity mind. 

Would like to see what Zidane is made off outside of Madrid, there’s going to be a time soon when he’ll be managing elsewhere. I’d say he’s the next generations ‘Pep’ minus the tactical ideology. 

Edited by Abra Dubravka

6 hours ago, Kanji said:

Genuine question, did Mike Ashley sell or transfer the ownership of the current shop into Sports Direct? If he did, then the article by Craig Hope would be accurate in that SD own the shop. If SD is selling the shop, that would mean they would be selling or transferring the shop back to St James Holdings, etc. 

I read that article and just felt the logical reality is that the club shop was leased to an entity of Sports Direct. Sports Direct has now terminated that lease, and thus its employees are gone. The landlord is and always has been St James Holdings, or related entity that is part of NUFC. Castore, as part of their agreement with NUFC, will enter into a new lease for the space and pay rent to the club. The employees will be Castore employees. 

if the club is sold, then the new owners will likely terminate the lease and convert the shop into an official NUFC club shop, who’s employees would be that of the club. 

Good take sounds feasible. I suppose Rangers would be the most obvious comparison. I’m not sure if Castore have taken over the operation of their club store ?

Guest reefatoon
29 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Pretty obvious that the new owners stuff relates to the new people operating the club shop. Funny that the press have to equate absolutely everything that happens to the "takeover" though. All about clicks..... 

it’s also funny how some people have to equate absolutely everything that happens to be “not takeover” related too.

Edited by reefatoon

With Castore taking over, if you bought a shirt from this shop/them does that mean no money to mike ashley/club? Or still got his claws in? A lot of people don't buy shirts any more but would be interesting if that changed. 

25 minutes ago, christ said:

I’d like to be optimistic about this, but I just see it as Ashley grabbing the opportunity to lay off staff and use the ownership question as a convenient excuse. 

That might hold water if he (Ashley) ever cared about his public/business profile or how things "look". 

6 hours ago, Abra Dubravka said:

Guess this is the best place to ask this...

Should a Saudi takeover happen and we were in a position to attract a top class manager - who would you want? 

As a total dreamer - Diego Simeone for me. At some point he has to leave Atletico, and I just picture him here. 

More ‘realistically’, and a inevitable sacking from Spurs, it has to be Mourinho.

I’ve always had a soft spot with Jose in terms of the thought of him managing Newcastle. What with his connection with Bobby, I think he would end up a perfect fit here - similarly like Chelsea always seemed his natural home. 

Jose looks like he's lost his fire but he would be given a special one's welcome up here (with us being shit and everything). Feeling loved again might ignite the fire. I think I'd still prefer Rafa back though. The bloke's waiting for us for goodness' sake. He's in love.

I don't want to be massively negative about this, but the Castore deal was reported back in October. Is it simply because the story claims it's at the request of the "new owners" that people are getting excited? We've seen all the way through this that journalists know nothing.