Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Guest neesy111

Strange how it's all pre-season friendlies they're showing.

Probably don't have the rights for anything else.

Guest Carrick18

Strange how it's all pre-season friendlies they're showing.

If only beoutQ was still floating about.  :shifty:

The Sun seems to think it's done - in a table discussing owner wealth, PIF and MSB have already been installed top of the leaderboard:

DD-COMPOSITE-PREMS-RICHEST-OWNERS.jpg

Surprised the Reuben brothers would be third in that list and close to Mansour

I think this post belongs here - the big optimism bit comes at the end!

I have thought about this at length and I now know what makes me the happiest about the takeover. For those here who haven't met me, I am from South London but support Newcastle because I was born there (solely because my parents happened to be in Newcastle when I was born unexpectedly early). So when I became football-conscious I chose Newcastle, and because my football childhood started with the early-mid-90s, I got really into it.

I liked being into something that nobody else around here knew about, so when I was old enough (the Robson era), I started travelling up on my own to watch games. The unexpected bonus of this was meeting loads of Geordies, and spending time in Newcastle as a city, and not just a place where the stadium is. That's what led to me finding N-O, and making some really great and close personal friends in the process. Newcastle was my first proper solo travel experience, and since the first time I actually looked around the place and spoke to people I have never stopped loving it. The whole place is optimistic, rebellious, always fun, beautiful both in nature and architecture, easy to get around as an outsider and, in my view, culturally unique.

The stereotypes associated with Geordies are true, I think. Everyone has always been welcoming, cheerful, empathetic, friendly and entirely down-to-earth. But what I really, really like about Geordies are 3 things: (i) the complete intolerance for bullshitters and cheats; (ii) the ability to laugh at themselves and (iii) that they're generally happy people. I think that's what makes me really love the city and region. I've now travelled to many different parts of the world and Newcastle, easily, still remains in my top 5 places.

So what makes me elated about this takeover is that I can't wait to go back and see my Geordie friends, and lots of other Geordies I can't wait to meet and celebrate with, back to their normal happy state. Anybody would have had their happiness reserves drained by Mike Ashley. Just a place where when I walk about, everyone is smiling, laughing, taking the piss out of one another - not like down here in London where everyone judges each other and is scared of each other now. I just can't wait for my first long weekend up there to see my friends, to watch the match, to get pleasantly mellow talking all things NUFC, to stroll around that beautiful and offbeat city and hear that great accent, to play in another 47-goal N-O meet-up thriller, go and take in the coast etc.

It's just a lovely thing and I can't wait to get back there and see it and feel it in remission from Ashley.

I have thought about this at length and I now know what makes me the happiest about the takeover. For those here who haven't met me, I am from South London but support Newcastle because I was born there (solely because my parents happened to be in Newcastle when I was born unexpectedly early). So when I became football-conscious I chose Newcastle, and because my football childhood started with the early-mid-90s, I got really into it.

I liked being into something that nobody else around here knew about, so when I was old enough (the Robson era), I started travelling up on my own to watch games. The unexpected bonus of this was meeting loads of Geordies, and spending time in Newcastle as a city, and not just a place where the stadium is. That's what led to me finding N-O, and making some really great and close personal friends in the process. Newcastle was my first proper solo travel experience, and since the first time I actually looked around the place and spoke to people I have never stopped loving it. The whole place is optimistic, rebellious, always fun, beautiful both in nature and architecture, easy to get around as an outsider and, in my view, culturally unique.

The stereotypes associated with Geordies are true, I think. Everyone has always been welcoming, cheerful, empathetic, friendly and entirely down-to-earth. But what I really, really like about Geordies are 3 things: (i) the complete intolerance for bullshitters and cheats; (ii) the ability to laugh at themselves and (iii) that they're generally happy people. I think that's what makes me really love the city and region. I've now travelled to many different parts of the world and Newcastle, easily, still remains in my top 5 places.

So what makes me elated about this takeover is that I can't wait to go back and see my Geordie friends, and lots of other Geordies I can't wait to meet and celebrate with, back to their normal happy state. Anybody would have had their happiness reserves drained by Mike Ashley. Just a place where when I walk about, everyone is smiling, laughing, taking the piss out of one another - not like down here in London where everyone judges each other and is scared of each other now. I just can't wait for my first long weekend up there to see my friends, to watch the match, to get pleasantly mellow talking all things NUFC, to stroll around that beautiful and offbeat city and hear that great accent, to play in another 47-goal N-O meet-up thriller, go and take in the coast etc.

It's just a lovely thing and I can't wait to get back there and see it and feel it in remission from Ashley.

Top quality post, and totally accurate in it's assessment of our beautiful, architecturally wonderful City Centre, and it's assessment of us, it's lucky people.

Well said.

Brilliant to read, great post :)

Beautiful.