Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

I just want today's kids in the 18-30 bracket to experience what we did from 92 to 97, where NUFC exploded onto the scene, coming from nowhere to becoming one of the highest profile clubs in the country. The buzz in the city was just fantastic.

I feel sorry for the poor sods who have grown up in the Ashley era. An utterly depressing experience throughout. It's time for them to see what this club is really about.

I just want today's kids in the 18-30 bracket to experience what we did from 92 to 97, where NUFC exploded onto the scene, coming from nowhere to becoming one of the highest profile clubs in the country. The buzz in the city was just fantastic.

I feel sorry for the poor sods who have grown up in the Ashley era. An utterly depressing experience throughout. It's time for them to see what this club is really about.

Just put into context that all I've know between the ages of 15 & 28 is Ashley. Utterly grim. :lol:

Just put into context that all I've know between the ages of 15 & 28 is Ashley. Utterly grim. :lol:

My condolences.  :lol:

I'm so glad I witnessed the Robson era as a teenager. Couldn't imagine going through 12 to 18 supporting a Mike Ashley version of the club.

The Keegan era was even better. Absolutely magical, even though I rate Robson as a better manager. I think Keegan sold Newcastle to the whole world, beyond winning titles. It probably has a lot to do with the likes of Stavely and the Saudis seeing our potential with this current takeover.

Oy yeah, great post Theregulars, agree 100%.

I'm so glad I witnessed the Robson era as a teenager. Couldn't imagine going through 12 to 18 supporting a Mike Ashley version of the club.

The Keegan era was even better. Absolutely magical, even though I rate Robson as a better manager. I think Keegan sold Newcastle to the whole world, beyond winning titles. It probably has a lot to do with the likes of Stavely and the Saudis seeing our potential with this current takeover.

Kevin Keegan created the modern-day NUFC and it's his work alone that has allowed the club to remain high profile & still be seen as a big club, despite all of the disgrace of the last 13 years. The fact that mid 1990s NUFC is still long remembered by football fans is a testament to how much good KK did for this club. Anyone who was following the club pre-1992 knows the profound change Keegan brought to Newcastle United. He's probably the most important person in the club's entire history.

I most certainly wouldn’t be a Newcastle supporter if it wasn’t for Keegan. I probably enjoyed the SBR era just as much at the time and I agree he was a better manager. It was just something about that Keegan team of 95 and 96, something really special. Maybe the most aesthetically accomplished football team of all time, along with Brazil -82 and a few others. Hopefully we can get some of that back, along with a trophy or two.

I remember the Bobby times well enough but I was limited in what I saw. Only one match in the flesh, which was Valerenga; other than that I think we got Sky around 2003 so missed the best of it in terms of those which were televised. It was all highlights and cup games for me.

Christ looking back; one game, Dad? Jesus.

We'll not be exploding in the same way, it will be expected.

Me and the Mrs didn't renew our STs at the end of last season, I said I'd never go back until Ashley was gone. Which was a decision made even more difficult as my kids are getting to an age where they're starting to play football and I was gonna start taking them to games.

Man I wish I'd hung onto the seats for one more year. But that's neither here nor there really. If this deal goes through we can have club we can all be proud of again.

We'll not be exploding in the same way, it will be expected.

Not sure I agree with that. When we got promoted in 93 there was a definite feeling amongst the support that we were going to take the Premier League by storm in our first season. And we did.

Me and the Mrs didn't renew our STs at the end of last season, I said I'd never go back until Ashley was gone. Which was a decision made even more difficult as my kids are getting to an age where they're starting to play football and I was gonna start taking them to games.

Man I wish I'd hung onto the seats for one more year. But that's neither here nor there really. If this deal goes through we can have club we can all be proud of again.

What would be a wonderful gesture from the new regime is if those folk who gave up their season ticket because of ashley are given priority if they reapplied after he leaves.

What would be a wonderful gesture from the new regime is if those folk who gave up their season ticket because of ashley are given priority if they reapplied after he leaves.

No thanks ;)

How would they know Ashley was the reason though ?

How would they know Ashley was the reason though ?

If the ticket was relinquished during ashley's tenure, they were long serving fans, said fans say they gave up because of ashley. I dunno, something like that? There would have to be a structure in place for it. I just think it would be a nice idea and haven't gone into the ins and outs of it so don't rip me apart for the details on how it could be run :)

I most certainly wouldn’t be a Newcastle supporter if it wasn’t for Keegan. I probably enjoyed the SBR era just as much at the time and I agree he was a better manager. It was just something about that Keegan team of 95 and 96, something really special. Maybe the most aesthetically accomplished football team of all time, along with Brazil -82 and a few others. Hopefully we can get some of that back, along with a trophy or two.

I think it was just something about Keegan's whole ethos which shone through the team which made that a special era. Basically: this is us, this is what we stand for, and that means putting out a great team to represent a special city.

That might sound big headed to some, but that was just how Keegan saw us, it didn't stop any other club from showing their own club off as they saw fit. But in reality there's only a handful of cities in England who could have that pull.

My first ever game I attended was Villa away. We lost 4-2 and Shearer was benched for Kluivert. Bobby (RIP) looked stressed, it was his last ever game.

That's fucking rough. I was lucky to get a bit of the Keegan era and the whole of SBRs reign.

Partizan fucking Belgrade. I witnessed the day it all collapsed.