Jeff Hendrick (on loan at Sheffield Wednesday)

gdm

His job is to run around and put effort in on Shelley’s behalf with an eye to getting the odd goal. Absolutely morbid to watch as a footballer but has already proved he can be useful in a Kevin Nolan special needs sort of way.

Yes, his goal - with its deft first touch, dip of the shoulder and rifle finish - was the mark of a Sunday League clogger...

The guy did nothing yesterday to be described as morbid. It's incredible :lol:

Had some fantastic interchanges with Manquillo, who he released into space a number of times. The guy can play. Had a lot to do with Manquillo's very good performance.

Had some fantastic interchanges with Manquillo, who he released into space a number of times. The guy can play. Had a lot to do with Manquillo's very good performance.

I honestly wonder what people actually see, Hendricks started the game slowly, and eventually became one of our best players on the day....baffled anyone could see things different.

Absolutely this. Can see him emerging as a bit of a cult hero this season if he keeps playing like he did yesterday. Didn't do much wrong at all.

He turned my opinion round by the end of the game for sure, but I just hope he gets to play center midfield. He left Burnley to stop being a makeshift winger and I think he could offer a lot as a centre midfielder. Him and Hayden could be much more solid than Shelvey is and he might have enough to mean we don't miss Shelvey's passing massively.

He turned my opinion round by the end of the game for sure, but I just hope he gets to play center midfield. He left Burnley to stop being a makeshift winger and I think he could offer a lot as a centre midfielder. Him and Hayden could be much more solid than Shelvey is and he might have enough to mean we don't miss Shelvey's passing massively.

To be fair, I'd say anything to get out of Burnley.

God help him when he does have a stinker, goal and assist on his debut but he’s a Brucey free from Burnley and isn’t Almiron so he’s shit.

Bruce will get slated when he keeps his place next week but you can’t drop him after that performance. The Brighton game will be interesting to see what Bruce does. They absolutely caned is for the first 30 mins at home last season half the players didn’t know where they were supposed to be playing.

Thought he grew into the game yesterday. I like his workrate and it was a lovely finish for the goal.

It wasn't a conventional finish.  I think he mishit it but he was in the position and did well during the match but can we have wingers on the wing.  Also its stupid to play 442 as  carrol won't be able to start more than 10-15 games unless we are signing someone else we will have to change system or play Hendrick up front or some shit.

Thought he grew into the game yesterday. I like his workrate and it was a lovely finish for the goal.

It wasn't a conventional finish.  I think he mishit it but he was in the position and did well during the match but can we have wingers on the wing.  Also its stupid to play 442 as  carrol won't be able to start more than 10-15 games unless we are signing someone else we will have to change system or play Hendrick up front or some s***.

We should play 4-2-3-1 with Almiron, Fraser, ASM as the 3 behind Wilson long term. Carroll has been good in pre season and put a shift in yesterday. One benefit of Almiron coming on late yesterday meant their defence was tired and he had more space.

But our best team will have Almiron in there over Carroll. No problems with Carroll coming on as a regular sub tho.

He’s better than I thought, no problem admitting it. He’s a solid signing on the basis of Saturday night, took his goal well, played well and defended his fb whilst supporting him going forward. Can see him, Hayden and Shelvey combining to make a solid 3 CM as and when needed. He did well  :aww:

God help him when he does have a stinker, goal and assist on his debut but he’s a Brucey free from Burnley and isn’t Almiron so he’s shit.

Bruce will get slated when he keeps his place next week but you can’t drop him after that performance. The Brighton game will be interesting to see what Bruce does. They absolutely caned is for the first 30 mins at home last season half the players didn’t know where they were supposed to be playing.

Bruce won't get slated if he keeps his place, he had a good game in the end, got an assist and scored a fine goal. I thought he would be a workhorse, and he is, but he also showed some flashes of real skill. That reverse pass which sent Manquillo away in the second half was lush.

It was a decent debut, but let’s not get carried away either. We’ve been rank in the midfield for a long long time.

That an average midfielder (not an insult btw!, to be an average midfielder in the premier league you have obviously got to be decent) like Hendrick can walk into the team and look like one of the better players just highlights how weak we’ve been.

It didn't make things harder for him that he was up against Cresswell who had a shocking (even by his standards) game. One of the few fullbacks (worst starting FB in the league?) we'll come up against that are actually slower than Hendrick.

He seems like a decent enough player, more suited centrally. He'll probably be able to keep the ball in the team, but if asked to create anything out wide against better and faster fullbacks he'll struggle massively imo.

Blatantly have to play 3-3-3-1 to accommodate him.

I do think he was inverted to help cover Shelvey and I can see us packing the midfield like that throughout the season. The danger was the amount of space it left for West Ham to attack down the left wing. Also a ton of pressure on manquillo. On the flipside it left Manquillo in lots of space to attack at times.

I'd like to see Fraser, Miggy and ASM behind Wilson. That has the potential to frighten the shit out or defences. I don't that we will though, or at least not very often. The height and strength of Carroll for Wilson to run off was important and we really don't have that height or physicality in Shelvey, Hayden and Hendrick. We have quite a lot of nice options to play around with but we are really lacking a destroyer or another DM.

I do think he was inverted to help cover Shelvey and I can see us packing the midfield like that throughout the season. The danger was the amount of space it left for West Ham to attack down the left wing. Also a ton of pressure on manquillo. On the flipside it left Manquillo in lots of space to attack at times.

I'd like to see Fraser, Miggy and ASM behind Wilson. That has the potential to frighten the shit out or defences. I don't that we will though, or at least not very often. The height and strength of Carroll for Wilson to run off was important and we really don't have that height or physicality in Shelvey, Hayden and Hendrick. We have quite a lot of nice options to play around with but we are really lacking a destroyer or another DM.

This was never the case. Defensively we dropped back into a compact 4-4-2 shape, and he actually supported Manquillo well, blocking a number of crosses.

This was never the case. Defensively we dropped back into a compact 4-4-2 shape, and he actually supported Manquillo well, blocking a number of crosses.

Maybe later in the game. The 2nd half in particular was completely different. Not in the first half though. He was often deeper inside and it gave me the Willies we were going to get caught out with a quick switch.

Reading through the match thread, the comments on him in the first half were an absolute joke like based on one half :lol:

It was a completely surreal experience to watch the game, and then read the match thread afterwards - the criticism Hendrick got "live", when viewed after watching the whole match, was bizarre.

I'am the first to say he's a poor player however I was very pleasantly surprised with Saturday's performance. Thought he looked very assured.

He definitely helped manquillo out defensively and freedom to get forward added to his sitting in a bit more centrally helped the middle 2. Thought it worked very well. Be interesting to see how he goes against a better side as West Ham were brutal.

Reading through the match thread, the comments on him in the first half were an absolute joke like based on one half :lol:

It was a completely surreal experience to watch the game, and then read the match thread afterwards - the criticism Hendrick got "live", when viewed after watching the whole match, was bizarre.

To be fair he was terrible first half, couldn't control the ball

To be fair he was terrible first half, couldn't control the ball

He wasnt terrible at all.

His pace and strength can be an asset, but I would hope that he is used as a squad player in certain situations rather than as a first-team regular. To move forward, we need to improve our ability to work the ball through the midfield, and he is definitely not the answer to that problem. One or both of the Longstaffs would help in that area.