Jamal Lewis (on loan at Watford)

joeyt

I want him to stay too but if Targett is 1st, then Manq/Dummett backup then it's the right call for him to get game time for the rest of the season.

As others have said, he seemed to be back to his good self the last time he played but I trust in Eddie's judgement.

Poor start under Bruce, won't blame him for that and then he was one of the ones who got badly affected by Covid. Something he still might not be fully over.

A loan out at a lower level, let him build up his fitness/strength and then see what's like when he comes back.

5 minutes ago, Willow said:

I want him to stay too but if Targett is 1st, then Manq/Dummett backup then it's the right call for him to get game time for the rest of the season.

As others have said, he seemed to be back to his good self the last time he played but I trust in Eddie's judgement.

Yep. Little disappointed but Targett has been playing all season up to this point and is a solid left back. Lewis has been poor and out and then injured. We need to be strong in that position now.
Means he's able hopefully to get game time between now and end of the season and we can make a decision on both then. If Lewis has returned to some form for whoever he goes to he can return and we can send back Targett. Not mad at the thinking behind how they've approached that position at all. It was weak and now it's strengthened, with good options at the end of the season.

15 minutes ago, HawK said:

I really don't get this viewpoint that seems to be shared by many. Lewis hasn't shown anything to suggest he's better than either Manquillo (who's looked quite good recently) and Dummett. Tell me I'm wrong?

He came in for a couple of games and we instantly looked more solid than when Ritchie was playing. He needs to get his confidence back going forward but defensively he improved us. Depends what you want from a full back, but Dummett gives us nothing going forward and Ritchie is shite defensively. Lewis has the potential to be good in both directions and could learn from Targett

4/5 left backs. Targett who will start, Dummett who is unsellable due to injuries, Ritchie who's a big dressing room personality, Manquillo who's versatile/relatively reliable, and Lewis who's promising but needs game time. 

I'd have kept him, but I can understand why Howe wants to send him out. Absolutely essential that there's a recall clause in there though.  

Edited by Kid Icarus

26 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

What?! That's a shit piece of business. We're finally in a position where we have two reasonable left-backs and we let one of them go out on loan?! So an injury to Targett and we're back to Dummett or Ritchie deputising?! FFS!

I disagree, I don't think Lewis is good enough for the task ahead, this season, but at 24 he also needs playing time. It'll be Dummett and Manquillo covering for Targett.

3 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Manq has to back up Trippier and Dummett is very injury prone. This feels like a recipe to end up with Ritchie at left back again to me. 

He backs up both. If Targett gets an injury then Manq will fill in. Your argument would lead me to the conclusion we need a better RB cover than Krafth, although he's looked better under Howe.

17 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

He came in for a couple of games and we instantly looked more solid than when Ritchie was playing. He needs to get his confidence back going forward but defensively he improved us. Depends what you want from a full back, but Dummett gives us nothing going forward and Ritchie is shite defensively. Lewis has the potential to be good in both directions and could learn from Targett

No argument from me that he's better than Ritchie there, but so is every other LB we have. In my view, it's Lewis < Dummett < Manquillo.