Jamal Lewis (on loan at Watford)

joeyt

Lewis has been absolutely shocking for us, played OK in a couple of games for Howe and that is it.

Still looked scared to touch the ball, cannot go forward and is piss poor defensively anyway.

Makes sense to keep Ritchie over Lewis as well, Ritchie is much more vocal, seems like someone good to have in the changing room and is far better going forward and will only play as a winger if needed, instead of wing back.

2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Confirmed as out the squad, alongside Clark & Hayden. Harsh, would’ve dropped Krafth or Dummett myself.

Lewis missing out kind of makes sense though imo, we have Manquillo, Ritchie and Dummett who can play there and are all more experienced which is needed for a relegation fight, so Lewis would probably be 3rd choice anyway and given he's still relatively young he needs constant game time to improve, so him going out on loan is better for him instead of just sitting on the bench.

8 minutes ago, 54 said:

Lewis missing out kind of makes sense though imo, we have Manquillo, Ritchie and Dummett who can play there and are all more experienced which is needed for a relegation fight, so Lewis would probably be 3rd choice anyway and given he's still relatively young he needs constant game time to improve, so him going out on loan is better for him instead of just sitting on the bench.

And Targett

Is Matt Ritchie really a better option?

I loved Ritchie when he joined, but he's slower than a week in jail these days. It's not his fault, he's a traditional winger by trade being asked to fill a gap, but his habit of letting markets drift off him is a major problem. He also is very susceptible to a ball in behind him. 

Ritchie is a better option, doesn't need to play as a wing back any more anyway and can focus on being a winger if needed but more that he is a vocal player and sounds like he is good in the dressing room.

We have numerous options for left back now and Lewis has shown nothing at all at the club.

29 minutes ago, Thiago said:

I loved Ritchie when he joined, but he's slower than a week in jail these days. It's not his fault, he's a traditional winger by trade being asked to fill a gap, but his habit of letting markets drift off him is a major problem. He also is very susceptible to a ball in behind him. 

I think it's his positional versatility, and likely also role in dressing room, that gets him in. 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Not sure we'll ever see him play for us again. 

Sounds harsh but… hopefully, right? He has had plenty of chances and been really quite bad for us, and if we don’t see him again it will mean we’ve stayed up and improved on him.

It’s sad he hasn’t worked out but I dunno why people are getting upset by it.

7 minutes ago, Smal said:

Sounds harsh but… hopefully, right? He has had plenty of chances and been really quite bad for us, and if we don’t see him again it will mean we’ve stayed up and improved on him.

It’s sad he hasn’t worked out but I dunno why people are getting upset by it.

Not personally upset about it but I suppose people want players to succeed with us and it’s disappointing when they don’t.

1 hour ago, Thiago said:

Absolutely. He’s not in the squad as much for his playing ability as he is for his leadership abilities. Was one of the few that actually gave a fuck last season and kept us up. 

1 hour ago, Chrisjraby said:

Can't believe we kept Dummett in but left Lewis out. Hopefully that doesn't mean he's fully done here, still think that there's potential for him to come good. 

I’m more surprised that Ritchie is still in there. I genuinely don’t see what he has to offer. At least Dummett can defend.