Callum Wilson

Strawberry

The situation hasn't really drastically changed, like. Wilson was always realistically only going to be returning mid March, and probably only fully fit by April anyway, wasn't he? 

I get the frustration with the striker situation, but it's not like we just downed tools and didn't try to bring a striker in, it's just not particularly easy to convince clubs to sell their best strikers in Jan and it's even more difficult when most players also don't want to join a relegation scrap. 

People will point to the likes of Weghurst moving to Burnley, but I'm far from convinced that he's any better than Wood at this level. 

There were massive deficiencies across all areas of the team that needed addressing and those largely got addressed, if a striker had been the only problem area then fair enough they fucked up but they did sign one striker for 25 million (bad value or otherwise) and clearly tried to get at least one more of similar value.

It's obviously a non ideal situation to be in right now, but it's hardly a shambles or a massive dereliction of duty when we've reinforced with genuine quality across several positions in the hardest period of year to buy any players, it's certainly nowhere near the levels of shambles of the last 14 years anyway. But people love complaining.

Edited by Dandy Man

33 minutes ago, huss9 said:

wow, that really is bad planning.

its inexcusable we didnt get another pacy front man in.

wood was a panic buy to get a striker in for the watford game, hence the gamble. but if the plan was that he would be our main striker for the rest of the season then we have royally fucked up.

it is "hoped" we have wilson back for the end of the season - even that is in doubt.

fucks sake.

Bad planning? The owners tried non stop to get another striker in but as we know there just weren't any available. People on here have short memories and the more I read the more I think they deserved Bruce and Ashley

It's too early to judge Wood, but it looks like there's a bigger role for Gayle and Eddie's going to have to get a tune out of him.

If the signings click, we'll be keeping the ball much more, playing further up the field, and playing to feet, so that should create better chances. Gayle scored two as a sub in the last preseason friendly against Norwich, and came close against Burnley in the league cup. He seems to be moving okay in that game, the highlights are on the club's Youtube, so I don't see a completely lost cause there. If nothing else, he's bound to be fitter now than he was with four days off a week under Bruce. Its far from ideal, but the clubs we have to finish above aren't ram packed with striking talent either.

5 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Surley we could have at least took a punt on another forward from abroad like.

I don’t get this “there’s no strikers out there”.

Did we place a bid for a striker other than Ekitike? Can’t remember too many.

I still think Wood is Howe’s choice and he’s content with him to see out the season, the lack of intensity in our striker search gave me that feeling.

3 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Surley we could have at least took a punt on another forward from abroad like.

Ekitike was the punt, he just didn't fancy it.

It's difficult to sign a striker at the best of times, never mind in January, in a relegation scrap, with a misfit crew handling negotiations, rival clubs playing funny buggers etc.

as far as Wilson is concerned, if we stay up, I'd be looking to move him on in the Summer. he's a crock and not even that good.

13 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Mavididi has 8 goals this season, is an English lad playing in France and his brother is in our academy. Cannot understand why we didn't make that happen. 

Did not know that we had his brother - is he any good?

Personally I think gayle is finished when Wilson originally got injured he stuck maxi up top instead of playing gayle. Got to be miggy in my book he scored a fair few at atlanta didn't he? Plus his pace will be much needed aswell as his runs. 

6 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Did not know that we had his brother - is he any good?

Shaun's only 16. In terms of U21 strikers Westendorf would be most suited to help in emergency. Stephenson has more experience but he's stick thin where as Westendorf is much more imposing. 

Edited by xLiaaamx

44 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Oh aye and the kid from Goal has literally not played a single minute. Great signing [emoji38]

It's an odd situation that I can't quite figure out. 

This kid is not another Nacho Gonzalez. He was/is highly rated in Mexico and has been chased by the US and Mexico at international level. The idea he's not even getting a kick for our youths makes no sense even if there's talk of an injury.

Edited by Thiago

2 hours ago, Dandy Man said:

There were massive deficiencies across all areas of the team that needed addressing and those largely got addressed, if a striker had been the only problem area then fair enough they fucked up but they did sign one striker for 25 million (bad value or otherwise) and clearly tried to get at least one more of similar value.

It's obviously a non ideal situation to be in right now, but it's hardly a shambles or a massive dereliction of duty when we've reinforced with genuine quality across several positions in the hardest period of year to buy any players, it's certainly nowhere near the levels of shambles of the last 14 years anyway. But people love complaining.

As I understand. We were £5m or so away from landing Lingard. It was never worth the risk to walk away imo.

I have some blame for Howe on this. He should've pushed hard for another attacker. 

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

As I understand. We were £5m or so away from landing Lingard. It was never worth the risk to walk away imo.

I have some blame for Howe on this. He should've pushed hard for another attacker. 

Nah. Man U didn’t want us to take him, especially once the Greenwood thing kicked off. They were also scared of strengthening a future rival.

What’s going on with your opinions today? :lol: 

2 hours ago, xLiaaamx said:

Mavididi has 8 goals this season, is an English lad playing in France and his brother is in our academy. Cannot understand why we didn't make that happen. 

He was the one who I thought was going to be the “surprise” signing. 

2 hours ago, andycap said:

Personally I think gayle is finished when Wilson originally got injured he stuck maxi up top instead of playing gayle. Got to be miggy in my book he scored a fair few at atlanta didn't he? Plus his pace will be much needed aswell as his runs. 

Would still fancy Gayle to score over Miggy any day of the week, at least he has the instincts of a striker. He's not good enough for sure, but right now we may end up needing him.

15 minutes ago, TRon said:

Would still fancy Gayle to score over Miggy any day of the week, at least he has the instincts of a striker. He's not good enough for sure, but right now we may end up needing him.

Playing miggy though would create space for our midfielders to score which might be a better bet than a static gayle